Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Hey good news I'll check it out, I'm a fan.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

You should, im really into it now, ima level 34 lol. Hey when you get into the game, lemme know, ill add you to my friends list stomp.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 AM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
Ya know when the computer slows down, programs get harder to install, slows shutting down & it's been 3 years + since it was newly installed ?

Then it's time to back everything up & do a full system recovery !
Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM

@sam yes I will Sam as soon as get it all going, I tried ST ages ago and just went WTF? so I hope this is now what I was expecting then...
Need some time to finish other projects to make room for it though

I task everything since I realized that I really didn't have time to do all the things I wanted, now I have to make an appointment for myself...LOL

@dave61
Some tools to do the job - make a restore point first

Shortcut Orphan remover - excellent
http://www.winsite.com/Utilities/Fil...rphansRemover/

CCleaner Good and proven - can break some program instals so be careful
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-8851.html

DLL Orphans Remover - Careful here
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...-Orphans.shtml

Duplicate File Removers - all reasonable and have varying results
http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-search....icate&x=19&y=8

Glary Utilities - good all rounder - cleans registry safely but some nagging
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABL...tilities.shtml

Dave..You can also do some things that are not too radical to speed it up a bit

besides a registry and temp file clean up etc...you can reduce load by minimizing the stuff sitting on the desktop, (desktop is a big factor) I use what I call a desktopstore.

Add a drive or make a partition and make a folder called Storage, put it all in there with one shortcut pointing to it at max Then remove all duplicate files, shortcuts and shortcuts on your system that don't work.

Lot's of broken Links can really slow things down.

Also in a shortcut menu break it up to display as short a list of icons at a time as possible by creating categories, every time the system starts and when you look at them the computer has to trace the links to display the icon correctly.

More to it but if you have not done so it's a good Idea to do it, also try reorganizing folder trees to minimize folders displayed at one time in any view, the same with images, a single folder with every image you have in it is very CPU intense when opened this is where sorting images into folders by category comes in handy again
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Bit disappointed to find that in "Star Wars The Old Republic" to stay competitive you need to earn or purchase DLC This is all another version of Ecoin - User beware
Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Thanks Stomp, but I had problems installing IE 9.
I've installed , then uninstalled, then reinstalled (IE9) + all the betas so many times that it woundn't let me reinstall again.

I've cleaned all my registry files, then cleaned my temp folders many times over.

The problem was (at first) was that I hated IE9. But I was having problems with IE8 cause I was getting Browser errors. So, after uninstalling and reinstalling all the beta IE9 that IE9 would error on installation so I couldn't reinstall the finished version of IE9.

But after that came the System hang on shutdown. It would run allnight on shutdown.

So I figured (after 3+ years after a clean install) it was time to stop and recover from a clean start.

Right now, all my files are restored.

Now I can run IE9 (that I still hate but get no browser errors) and all my other shutdown and startup problems have dissappeared.

Btw, I hate windows VISTA !!!

Last edited by dave61; 02-25-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

I couldnt agree with ya more dave61, windows 7 is my HOME! And stomp. not really, you can be a free 2 play, and still get stuff, just not as much as a subscriber, but its still fun!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 AM
bigsmellyfart is offline bigsmellyfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Bit disappointed to find that in "Star Wars The Old Republic" to stay competitive you need to earn or purchase DLC This is all another version of Ecoin - User beware
plus to play you have to pay...almost $50 every 2 monthes
14TB 7200 rpm HDD
LG 16x blue ray R/W Drive
-----------------------------------

CHEVRON 7 Unlocked
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

No, its only $15 for a whole month.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I couldnt agree with ya more dave61, windows 7 is my HOME!!
Know what ya mean, but not really up-to-date on windows 7. Tried it but not familiar.

Windows XP was the last OS that I really liked cause it didn't try to run my online life while it ate up my RAM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

all you need is about 4gbs for 32bit dave, its not a big deal, i would rather have a OS that is more up to date than xp, and btw, microsoft is dropping xp next april in 2014.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM

I've had that problem with IE in the past and it was upgrading IE every time.

Vista is good once configured, it's not much different than Windows 7 to navigate and use. I had it for ages and all the service packs fixed most things in the end.

I use Firefox for fast and safe net browsing and a built in download manager and plenty of add ons

I remove explorer associations for ftp/http/https/ and htm/html/shtml/xht/xhtml and set Firefox as default.

You can always go back to IE in a pinch.

Chrome is OK too with a built in flash-player that makes it pretty safe also but I have too many errors with it here in Australia and also navigation is a bit clunky for my liking.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

I use chrome all the time, i like it defiantly better then IE, and somewhat better than firefox.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Does Chrome allow add-ons? My anti-virus toolbar won't run in Chrome. Never tried any other add-ons in Chrome.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

yeah there are add-ons. if you get chrome, open a new tab and go to the apps window button on the bottom of the chrome browser window, and there is a google store (dont worry, its all free haha) and voila!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Sry Sam IMO - I think firefox is more developed flexible and Chrome says light is right but just an excuse for minimal effort. Give me toolbars and pretty icons and I'm happy.

My antivirus uses chrome as the virtual browser (sandbox) because it is so bare boned. Plus I never trust Google at all being a private company and have removed all software including Google Earth Spy (there is a much better program available here in Aus anyway now with superior resolution and updated every day as the satelite goes over )
Also as Firefox is community developed +1 for me, everyone keeps an eye on it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

true
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

I got a strange call today. Someone speaking in a heavy Indian accent & claiming to be from Microsoft said my computer was infected with Malicious code and/or a virus and it was sending out error messages to their servers.

She wanted me to turn over my remote access to her so she could "fix it" !?!

LOL !!! YEAH RIGHT !!! Like I'm really gonna do that !!

And really, since when did MICROSOFT start calling pro-activly to "help" with Windows viruses?

I told her I didn't have time for such nonsence & hung up. Then blocked the number from my phone.

After reseaching the phone # I found out I wasn't the only one they tried to scam.

Beware this scam !

Last edited by dave61; 03-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Sam is offline Sam
Nobody loves me

*takes notepad* *writes notes down* got it! lol
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
I got a strange call today. Someone speaking in a heavy Indian accent & claiming to be from Microsoft said my computer was infected with Malicious code and/or a virus and it was sending out error messages to their servers.

She wanted me to turn over my remote access to her so she could "fix it" !?!

LOL !!! YEAH RIGHT !!! Like I'm really gonna do that !!

And really, since when did MICROSOFT start calling pro-activly to "help" with Windows viruses?

I told her I didn't have time for such nonsence & hung up. Then blocked the number from my phone.

After reseaching the phone # I found out I wasn't the only one they tried to scam.

Beware this scam !
An update ...

I've blocked them from calling my phone, so with my phone company I see they have still tried calling my phone (even though they can't ring my phone ...they still show up as unawnsered numbers). What this scam wants is to show you that you are infected with viruses &/or malicious software that reports back to Microsoft (or whatever). So then they try to show you that your OS is infected with viruses &/or malicious software using the event viewer (even asking you to give them remote access to your computer).

So, these scammers will either direct you to a website that will install a virus and then offer a support plan to help cleanup your computer for a price.

Please don't fall for this !!!

I've learned of novices that have even given remote access to these scammers and have regretted it !!!

Tags
50 cent, durr, flash, humanz, hurr, mmm eat butterflies, never gonna give you up, never guna let you down, oh poo poo, p90 pwns everyone, sage, sharp pwns sam, sharp pwns skinny killer, spam is tasty, tag you're it!, while sam loses the game, yawn, your mom, youtube