Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:06 PM
CMcGee is offline CMcGee

College Suggestions

I have a strong passion for games, and thats what im planning to pursue my career in, and in the meantime I will be playing an electric guitar looking to start a band that will be able to perform at nightclubs etc.

If I were to goto college, which I will, should I take all the classes I can that associate with gaming ( artist, modeller, coding, skinning etc ).. It sounds more like common sense to do all what I can in college, but what would your guy's say.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I would say learn a little bit from yourself before going to college for it. You will learn alot of nice tricks they won't teach in college.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
I assume you're still in high school...from that assumption, here goes.

Take 4 years of Math. Must must must do this.
Take 4 year of English. I know, it bites, but ya gotta have it.

Math is your friend. If you want to do anything that is remotely near making games, you must have math. Even just to do some basic things in Flash, you have to know a little trig (it's not hard, but it's there).

English. The college and future employer wants to know you can say something other than "I'm L337" and "I pwn u!". Yes, I know it's quite effective in game, but unfortunately, colleges and employers need a full, real vocabulary

If you're in the US, make your ACT score your highest goal. It's not a hard test, it just takes some practice. Score high enough on that, and almost any school will beg you to come to their school...and pay your tuition to boot. You can test every two months. Go to every test, especially since only your highest score is what counts.

Lastly, check out this college (it's a news story). http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...03-video_x.htm

Here's a link to their site, and it's their FAQ's. Click the number 2 question. Even if you don't go there, that'll give you an idea of what people are looking for. http://www.digipen.edu/admissions/faq/#prepare

Hope that helped
Old 12-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

Obvoiusly to get the degree you want youll have to do a amount of the right subject, but those that you have a choice in id say diversify, most people these days dont sta in the same vocation for their whole working careers, to have a backup plan is a sensible idea.If yo do alot of Techie subjects do some Humanities subjects, because if (or more likely when) you do change vocation youll have had some expiereince in other areas...
Old 12-16-2004, 10:50 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

What ever you choose to do I wish you the very best of luck with it. I remember my college days and it was an awful lot of hard work but worth it in the end.

Regards and Seasons Greetings
Old 12-16-2004, 05:46 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Absolutley NO. You should not do everything there is to do with games in your college education.

The greatest thing about the American education system, over and above the British is that the opportunity to study many things to differing levels at all points of the public school and higher education curriculum.

It is something that is likley to be adopted over here eventually and good thing too.
There are very very few people who know for sure exactly what they want to do throughout their entire lives.
Those that do are both extremley lucky (and in my experience), exceptionally dull, in equal measure.

First off, do as Panther says. Try and teach yourself as much as you possibly can. Take the time to really get int0o the process. Read, and apply what you have learned. You may find you really hate model making but are enraptured when you come to the skinning process.

ANother VITAL thing is to research properly.
If gaming is your passion, e-mail, write to and ring up the games companies. Tell them you are interested and ask what it is that they are looking for.
If you can, ask to visit a gaming studio. One thing you will find is that most any adult in a job (especially one they enjoy) is thrilled to get chance to talk to someone who has a genuine interest in learning what they know.

You might step into a gaming studio and be blown away by how much you hate it. You may find you love spending time with the editors, conceptualists or hard-core engine programmers.

Most of all, though, diversify your college subjects.
Major in what the games companies say are important to them, take a few courses on what really interests you but then think about other courses just for the sake of them.
Sociology and Psychology let you really look at a person and their surroundings. Definitive in developing games for a chaning and diverse population.
Business studies. WHo knows you may want to set up your own studio one day.

MAybe take a course in something you aren't too good at, just for the challenge. A politics course is always bound to have lots of really weird people to get to know and argue with.

Bear in mind that employers for all jobs get thousands of resumes a year.
They want to employ someone with that little extra something that sets them apart from the rest.
If you solely concentrate on different aspects of the same thing then in fact you become less appealing.
Who wants to work alongside someone that has nothing else to say when they are working? Not me. Not many people.

SO, Talk to the industry. You will be suprised at their response.
Give it a go yourself, you need to know it holds long term interest.
Major in what interest the industry. Minor in what interests you and tyr and expand yourself beyond the boundaries you have set for yourself.
All employers love a man that has something more to say than what the public thinks they are expected to.

Also, have lots of fun, work hard but play manically. You will meet life long friends and look back at college years as the best of your life.
MAke the absolute most of it, cos it ain't happening again!

Old 12-16-2004, 05:48 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Also Panther it's about time you got off your fanny and went to college.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
Quote:
Originally posted by zza1pqx
MAke the absolute most of it, cos it ain't happening again!
What he means is don't screw it up or else you'll be like me...going back to finish
Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
GeeFuss is offline GeeFuss
Cardiac

Im planning to be a Software Engineer, or something similar in Computer Science...I want to go to Florida Institute of Tech, www.fit.edu

They have a scholarship there were you can get an interview with microsoft and have all of your tuition paid for...But you have to be like the top dawg of the school or close to it or something of the sort. Well anyways im in 10th grade and have a Unweighted GPA of like 3.8 or 3.9 and a weighted GPA of 4.5 which is really high. Ill already get the bright futures scholarship (only available in FL) which pays for all of your tuition...so...you get it. Im doing pretty good, just hope I dont slip up somewhere along the way LOL

If you have any advice let me know

Thanks
Black Hawk