Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:40 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Some facts and questions:

The H&K G3 drum sights are such a neat idea and I have no hands-on experience with them, but I think they might work like you see in the attachments.

I'm also working on a thing for select-fire weapons where semi mode has two steps higher magnification than auto (or burst), 'cause 'focus' is not a thing in NL games, but the extra clarity would be nice. The first attachment shows the five elevation levels at 2x mag. on full auto. Attachment two displays semi with 4x mag.

And the third attachment's a bonus. Apparently, when the stars are aligned just right, and the dreams in the witch-house are a turmoil, you can find indonesian sniper corpses that not only fold, but stack themselves on a conveniently quantam-locked levitation shelf.

Bug? Feature? Who can say? But it's pretty weird!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G3AUTO_irons.jpg (221.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_G3_irons.jpg (254.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg JO_Ummmm.jpg (373.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-25-2024, 10:50 PM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
Some facts and questions:

The H&K G3 drum sights are such a neat idea and I have no hands-on experience with them, but I think they might work like you see in the attachments.

I'm also working on a thing for select-fire weapons where semi mode has two steps higher magnification than auto (or burst), 'cause 'focus' is not a thing in NL games, but the extra clarity would be nice. The first attachment shows the five elevation levels at 2x mag. on full auto. Attachment two displays semi with 4x mag.
Those sights are beautiful. Are you using the "slide" option for the sight tga's to get them to change with elevation? I did something similar to that with the M16/M4 irons. Above 200M elevation the rear sight will flip to the smaller peep hole.

Quote:
Bug? Feature? Who can say? But it's pretty weird!
They fold for easier storage. Takes up less game memory. They're supposed to unfold when you look at them, but I guess these fell asleep.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post
Those sights are beautiful. Are you using the "slide" option for the sight tga's to get them to change with elevation? I did something similar to that with the M16/M4 irons. Above 200M elevation the rear sight will flip to the smaller peep hole.
---------------------------------------------------------------
They fold for easier storage. Takes up less game memory. They're supposed to unfold when you look at them, but I guess these fell asleep.
I love the slide trick.

Sleeping sniper corpses: Okay. Weeping angel statues: BIG NOPE!

How about this:

I think I figured out how to insert attached images.

And what an image it is! A few posts ago, I showed something similar I did with the AK/GP. While playing around with the one G3 in the SFOD mod, I noticed that the other G3 (from Team Sabre) has a front post as well as a decently modeled drum.

Had to exploit that, now, didn't I?

The top left corner of the image shows the pos for auto, the bottom left shows the tpos for auto at 1x mag. Top right corner is the janky 'high ready' pos for semi with RenderFOV at 40, bottom right is the tpos for semi at 2x mag. and RenderFOV 40.

I have the elevation locked at 300m (scope_max_zero 2 150 300 2), and meticulously edited the pitch in the tpos to match the impact point. This is made easy thusly:

Note: Assuming you've locked in the tpos with the view model not breaking the camera plane while firing or moving, aligning the sights, and centering the windage.

• Edit the ammo.def entry for the weapon. 0 recoil prone, add NoGravity flag.
• Edit the weapon.def entry for the weapon. 0 error prone, comment out the scope_max_zero, comment out the idle and fire animations.
• Add or edit the scope_max_mag and scope_min_mag to 20 (twenty).
• Add RenderFOV 4 (four).
• Find a map with a target at the desired zero range and a solid, repeatable firing position. Make this map if necessary.

I call this level of preparation 'Laboratory Conditions.' I may not have recalled every step. Experiences will vary.

Using the the extreme 20x zoom and RenderFOV 4 (that's the 80° default field of view divided by 20, or 4°. Not coincidently the same as the RenderFOV) on the target and the sights, with no recoil, no error, no gravity, and nothing animated, you'll have absolutely no trouble confirming your tpos alignments and boresight.

After that, comment out the NoGravity flag in the ammo.def entry so the bullet drops again, and set the scope_max_zero to the range you want to lock the weapon to. As seen above, I allowed 2 adjustments of 150m, defaulting to 300m, and disallowing the first two adjustment levels (Auto and 150m).

You cannot effectively use adjustable zeroes with viewmodel iron sights 'cause the game will change the pitch at which the rounds head downrange, but not the pitch of the viewmodel. The view model iron sights' point of aim will be locked and will not adjust to point of impact. Sorry.

Back on the range, aim at your zeroing target, then press F2 to hide the weapon model. Firing the weapon, adjust your mouse up 'til you see the impacts where you want them, then press F3 to unhide the weapon model and see how far off your sights are. Adjust the tpos pitch 'til POA and POI align.

Now you can revert all the lab conditions and enjoy your accurized view model irons. I know I do.

Cool thing about this is that, if you decide to get rid of the locked scope_max_zero, the irons are still zeroed at the range you wanted.

End of lecture. Know that I proofread this as best I could, but I started this reply with no plan or outline, under threat of consequences should my wife return from shopping and the kitchen is still not addressed. The duress is palpable, and I'd appreciate your understanding of mistakes or omissions.

I also edited the g3.dds to blacken the front post and add a little green dot, and relabeled position 1 on the drum correctly. How I found those particular pixels out of the 262,144 available is a lecture for another time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G3_model_irons.jpg (671.2 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 01-27-2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:48 AM

I like your method for getting the sight positions for elevation. Had to do something like that to get the range marks correct on the ACOG reticles.

You probably already know this, but you can use "Flags Inset" (if using irons) to leave your crosshair on screen when you aim down sights. Helps when aligning things.

I wish there was a way to change the FOV only when aiming down sights. That would look much better.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
You probably already know this, but you can use "Flags Inset" (if using irons) to leave your crosshair on screen when you aim down sights.
This I did not know. And it is very helpful.

Quote:
I wish there was a way to change the FOV only when aiming down sights. That would look much better.
That's NeverLogic, though, three-quarter-assing it all. Still love 'em, but, you know?

Have look at this bit of foolishness I did today:

This weapon is called the HK416 in the version of the SFOD mod I play around with, but it's the M4 viewmodel. Not really the point I'm poking now. The top of the image is the sights at 3x mag. for auto. The bottom is the sights at 10x mag. for semi. The reticle is my pretty much mathematically 1:1 adaptation of the Trijicon RTR .223 for their TA47-C optic. I took the info in the .pdf they have for download on their site and formula'd a .tga.

I was a bit disappointed when I tested it and all the drops were off, and I was grumbling about whether I should redraw the reticle or tweak the ammo.def entry, 'til I wondered if maybe this reticle shouldn't be zeroed at 200m, not 100m, and let me tell you that my delight is difficult to put in words when the rounds started landing where the reticle said they would. Not even under lab conditons, either, prone with 0.015 error and 4 recoil. The 100m target took a second shot, I've over-trained on 100m zeroes, I guess, and the 200m and 300m drops are just guesswork, but the 400m and 500m drop were single-shot hits, and 600m and 700 took a few extra, but I got there.

Keep in mind, my test range map has the tall practice targets at 100m intervals out to 1000m, but they're only there to make the 20×20cm steam grates I have pitched up 90° and mounted on their 'faces' easier to find. I set a waypoint on each target that advances when you hit the steam grate. Can barely see the 1000m target in the fog, too. So half a magazine to hit a 20×20cm (that's 7 ⅞ × 7 ⅞ freedumbs!) at 700m (7 ⅔ football fields) on an unadjusted reticle with untweaked ammo seems sublime, if I can mince my words just a bit. There's also an easily visible spark when a bullet hits metal in this game.

And I'd guess half of that half magazine was my potato aim, not the reticle.

Also note the flag over the bunker at the left edge of the scope and its position to it in both views. Did a bit of effort to ensure scale was kept consistent. Because of the fun!

This is basically an extreme experiment in the concept of 'extra zoom on semi as "focus,"' and I don't hate it.

I decided on 10x mag. 'cause the dots center, left, and right are supposed to be 2 moa, and I wanted them to be 4px in the targa. It was important to the experiment that the dimensions of the targa be even numbers centered on the four middle pixels (symmetrical) instead of my usual proven method of odd dimensions centered on the lower right middle pixel (asymmetrical), because the reticle graphic is the same on both modes, but the 3x is mounted smaller. Rescaling targas works more balancedly with symmetrical targas.

And I tried this with a 5.56mm (.223 freedumbs) rifle 'cause the SR-25 is 7.62mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user67642_pic342_1707138865.jpg (116.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Scott; 02-07-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:01 PM

Using Inset with a "scoped" flag will give you the old delta force scope. Something that really grinds my gears is that the game has the ability to do picture in picture scopes, but we have no way of editing them that I'm aware of.

Ballistics is one thing Nova did very well. If only it could be affected by wind.

Btw, if you hide objects with dynamic light (WAC "HideSSN") such as a light post, the object disappears while the light remains. might help with target visibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TargetLight.jpg (137.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:30 PM

I... don't know what happened to the attachment in the last post. I've sent a message to the admins, though.

But you know that testing range map I've mentioned? I wanted to show you all this:

A classic mildot on the .300 Tactical. This is the second version I did. The first had really thin lines and larger dots. I like this version better. It's correctly scaled, and the dots are probably too big, still, but I think it feels okay.

And the target at 1000m is barely visible. The 900m target's on the oil rig catwalk to the left. This is my edit of the the full_10.env. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the fog pushed back. I've already tried everything obvious, which might not help you understand this any better, 'cause while one idiot does not find the thing 'obvious,' all the other lunatics think the idiot must be blind for not seeing. The three shells are right there. You must be stupid. And smelly (apologies, Ted).

Maybe tomorrow I'll figure it out. But I wanted to mention the missing attachment above, show the nice reticle, and that obscured target.

All I need now is a snack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_MilDot_22x.jpg (188.8 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-02-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
This is my edit of the the full_10.env. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the fog pushed back.
I think the fog has an absolute maximum hard coded for 1000m. I could be wrong, but I too have never found a way to extend it past 1000 meters.

Nice scope btw. I think you're probably the most detailed with sights that I've ever seen.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:25 PM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

in jo, fog can be pushed back with environment settings in the med and the time of day also helps. i dont remember if this works in BHD though.

edit: just tested this. no change. yep, hard coded at 1000m.

Last edited by jabo1SFH; 02-01-2024 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Nice scope btw. I think you're probably the most detailed with sights that I've ever seen.
I'll get down into the pixels, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo1SFH View Post
in jo, fog can be pushed back with environment settings in the med and the time of day also helps. i dont remember if this works in BHD though.

edit: just tested this. no change. yep, hard coded at 1000m.

If you know what you're doing in a .mis file or a hex editor, the only limit to the fog in DFBHDTS is that, at a bit beyond 32,512 meters, the edge wraps around behind you somehow and prevents items from rendering. And if you have enough altitude, you can see that the game only renders eleven rows and columns of 512m terrain tiles at any given moment. You can see the buildings 10 km away, but not the land it's sitting on, it's surreal.

My guess is newer NL games render nine 512m terrain tiles at once and they locked the fog at 1000m to keep everyone from getting existential dread about it. Or to keep cheaters from no-fogging snipes from impossible ranges. I don't know.

I just wish I could test my reticle drops beyond 1000m. Maybe mark larger targets on the commander's map and yeet rounds into the unseeable? Seems fruitless. I'll probably still try it, but only to say I did.

Let me screenshot something to attach here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_TSDIcons.jpg (485.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_TSDIcons2.jpg (387.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-02-2024 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:17 PM

Figured I would share this useless but funny bit of information. I was playing around with RenderFOV hoping to serendipitously stumble on a way to change it during ADS only. I got bored and set the FOV to a negative value (-80). Below is the result.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:34 PM

Eventually, I was going to get to the Scrome J8F1 reticle. Today was that event.

I mounted this on the M40A1 at 10x mag., so you might want to call it a J10F1, but I don't know. I mathed up the dimensions using a bit of experience after counting pixels on this image from WikiPedia and a screenshot from this video:

The ammo.def entry needed heavy editing to drag the drops close to correct, then I tweaked the drops a bit to perfect them. The chevrons are supposed to angle a bit to the right due to spin drift, but that's not a thing in NL games (is it? I've never really noticed it, and I've discovered what I think is supposed to be the Coriolis effect in DFBHDTS, where on a windless test range map, with enough drag and distance, shooting north or south, the rounds always drifted a bit west).

The only thing I can think to add to this post is that I'd like to figure out some decent illumination for this, but not tonight.

//////////////////////- Horizontal Line -\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit: Something's off. Either something about the FR-F2 rifle causes 7.62mm NATO to have about twice as much drag, or the scaling and ranging on this reticle are not what we're used to.

Experimenting, I just traced the screenshot from the video, edited the weapon.def for adjustable zoom up to 35x, reverted the ammo.def drag from the 0.197 necessary for this version of the reticle at 10x magnification to the 0.41 drag that's about what all the other 7.62mm rifles have in this mod, then tested different zoom levels 'til one more or less matched the drops.

20x mag. is the closest. But that means the hashes on the vertical are not shoulder width, they're head width. The funnel would be shoulder width. The stadia on the rangefinder would not be average human height 1.7m at range, they'd be crotch to shoulders, about 76cm. This would also explain the stadia widths. Instead of being an apparently arbitrary, less-than-useful 1m at range, they end up not only being shoulder width, but shoulder height from the crotch baseline as well. And the horizontal subtensions are no longer 2 mrads in groups of 10 mrads, but 1 mrad in groups of 5.

I must either draw the reticle smaller, or increase the magnification.

Edit again: Okay, I have this for you now:

A scrome J8F1 reticle optimized for 8x mag., ammo velocity 852, drag 0.395. The top section of the image shows the 100m hash being head width at 100m. The middle section shows the range finder base line on the 200m target's crotch, while the stadia above the baseline is shoulder width and shoulder height. The bottom section shows the 300m target in the center, and behind it are two fence posts I placed 354m from my firing position for no real reason, but they are each as close to 25 milliradians left and right of the 300m target as I could get them, and I assure you, I got them very close. If asked, I'd say the reticle's a little off.

I did redo the 10x reticle and optimized it for 20x, but it doesn't look different enough from the earlier screenshot to warrant a new one. I used the test version of the 20x reticle that I traced from the Forgotten Weapons video screenshot to tweak the drag to fit the 800m chevron, which is why there's a bit more drag on this ammo.def entry than other 7.62mm NATO ammos (0.395 instead of between 0.41 and 0.422), then repositioned the other drops to fit the drag.

The drops on the 8x reticle were placed by trial and error to within half a pixel of perfect under lab conditions.

I need to do more play testing to solidify an opinion, but I'm pleased enough with the results, so far.

Edit, the last (?): I think I'm going to go with this one:

4x to 12x mag. with amber illumination on the 100m hash. Less blobby than the 8x version, and doesn't interfere with the HUD elements like the 20x.

It'll be fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_SCROME.jpg (114.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_SCROME_8x.jpg (358.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_SCROME_12x.jpg (343.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-11-2024 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Just trying hard to get it right.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The chevrons are supposed to angle a bit to the right due to spin drift, but that's not a thing in NL games (is it?
I tried using the weapon.def "SCOPE_PARALAX_DISTANCE 0.0" option to get this affect. This will offset the bullet impact left or right (enter negative value for left positive for right.)

But it doesn't work like this for 1st person guns. It will offset it to the left or right of the reticle, but it appears to be the same offset regardless of distance. Probably because the bullet is emitted from the camera and not the player's gun? maybe, I don't know.

I do know that this works with my Abrams main gun reticle. The main gun is offset left of the camera. So the range markings must be offset to the right. I have the Main gun's parallax distance set to 0.8 (the distance from the gun to the camera). These markings are accurate, at least out to 1000m (about the furthest I could see to test it.)

I know it's not the same as matching the scope markings to bullet spin drift, but I thought I could use it to create a similar affect. Oh well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank_ret.jpg (43.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:30 AM

C_DOES did a repew of the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24, and I know I have bad impulse control, but I couldn't talk myself out of it, and this happened:

And the stupid thing is that it's in MOA, which is fine, but the drops and rangefinder are in yards, which is not accommodated by the HUD elements in any NL game, or any game I know of. But I was crushing on the font for the numbers, so damn the torpedoes, y'know?

I tried editing the scope to lock at 183m (200 yds), which was functional, but confusing, then I tried editing adjustments in 91m increments, but it was wonky (100 yds is 91.44m, so 91m is too short, 92 is too long, submeter values are invalid, it was a mess) and I couldn't get used to it, or memorize 100 yd increments in meter values, so I set it back to 100m adjustments and tweaked the Barret ammo with more velocity and lower drag 'til it fit the reticle, more or less.

Why didn't I just use the mrad version of the reticle? Shut up, that's why.

Toward the top of the image, you see the rangefinder. The base is a hash 20 moa above center, and best I can figure, you set that at the target's crotch and read the range from the hash on their head, or maybe set the base at the target's knees and read the range from the hash at the shoulders. The hashes, best I can guess, are 18" wide at range.

The drops are head width at range, with small hashes at the 50m POAs, and somehow, the 20, 24, 28, and 32 moa hashes line up close enough with the 700, 750, 800, and 850m POIs to be useful. The vertical line at six o'clock starts 36 moa from center, and the pixel just under the tip is the 900m POA. I took the liberty to make blank spaces at the 950 and 1000m POAs.

Now, I edited the prone-scoped error to be 0.023, 'cause posts on a few forums here and there that I googled up said a factory default Barret with normal ammo will give you 2.5 to 3 moa groups, and 2.5 + 3 ÷ 2 = 2.75 moa average deviation cone ÷ 2 = 1.375 moa cone radius ÷ 21600 moa in a circle = 0.0000636 deviation proportion × 360° = 0.022896 error or 0.023 rounded to a thousandth of a degree. That's a bit loose for a sniper rifle, but is fine for an anti-materiel weapon, 'cause accuracy demands for engine blocks and generators at range are lower. Alternatively, .50 BMG is generally lethal anywhere it hits, so headshots are not required.

All that by way of explaining the missing magnification info on the HUD being due to my deactivation of the scoped flag on the Barret, allowing movement while aiming. Suboptimal strategy at max 19x mag., yes, but possibly life-saving at minimal 4x mag.

Note: the only experience I have with making spread sheets is that I saw my wife working in excel, and decided to play around on Google Docs to see if I could make tables for converting BDC and rangefinder values from reticle blueprints into pixels for reticle adaptations. And wouldn't you know it? I came up with a table or two where you enter an error value in one cell, and tweak a multiplier in a different cell, and five other cells math up values for the others for you. So I have the accuracy of all the weapons in this mod increasing from one stance to the next in exactly the same proportions from standing hip fire to prone scoped. It's neat.

My inability to hit my targets really is a skill issue. I don't play multiplayer for a reason. For many reasons, really, but go on.

I'm also doubtful I got the angles of the gaps in the segmented circle right, but at this resolution, it's close enough. Max mag. of 19x means each moa is 4 pixels and the numbers — on which I crush, remember — are 5x7px. So it's too much zoom for an oversized DMR, yeah, but I like the detail.

Just for clarity: I edited the velocity and drag from 853/0.295 to 975/0.305.

Playtesting's been fun enough.

Edit: New screenshot. Minor tweaks. Confirmed that a target kneeling is 42" from ground to shoulder height, which just happens to be the height each hash in the rangefinder is at range.

Edit again: Another version of the reticle. EBR-9 Mrad.

Optimized for 22x mag. and metric measurements. No BDC, but with a nice tree of holds. I like it well enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_EBR9moa.jpg (155.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_EBR9mrad.jpg (159.2 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 03-04-2024 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:43 PM

So crisp and clean! Very nice work!
Old 03-22-2024, 12:31 AM

I guess I'll start with the target lock symbol for the Javelin and Stinger that, being aesthetically pleasing and nostalgic, isn't as 'locky' as it could be, so I did this:

Nostalgic 'cause the comalck2.tga is directly from Comanche 4:

I searched for the lock symbol in C4 'cause I couldn't remember the name of the targa off the cuff, and looking through BFC compressed targas in later Novalogic games is such a slog.

In the process of seeking the comalck2.tga, I realized there's also a friendly-fire version, comlck2x.tga:

But it's so ugly. I had to fix it:

Fixed them both, actually:

Just prepping this post, I thought of some tweaks I could apply, and will do so, but I wanted to add the WIP to the thread.

/////////////////////<- Horizontal Line ->\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit: Slight tweaks, a black border, and an NVG screeny:

Also note: I edited the magnification to go from 4x to 12x, defaulting to 8x. The elevation is not adjustable, but the empty line between 'Distance:' and 'Mag.:' I found displeasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4_Lock.jpg (478.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg C4_Lock_F.jpg (494.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg C4B_Lock.jpg (478.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg C4B_Lock_F.jpg (486.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Lock_Jav.jpg (423.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Lock_Jav_NVG.jpg (194.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 03-22-2024 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:53 PM

I present to you, the latest symptom of my reticle editing addiction:

The Springfield Armory 4-14x56 1st Generation Government Model 7.62mm Patented Reticle.

I went into this one with a specific criterion: the reticle is in imperial units, and I'm sticking to them. Aspects of this decision have forced me to make some frustrating adaptations.

The elevation is locked at 200 yards. That's 183m. Not being adjustable, I saw little need for the elevation to be displayed on the HUD, and removed it on this rifle to spare me the confusion. Similarly, the distance is displayed in meters on the HUD, and barring memorizing 100 yard intervals in meters, which I refuse to do with any conviction, I've removed that HUD element from this weapon (the M24) as well.

So rangefinding is exclusively a reticle element system on this one. I think it works like this: viewing the attachment, I've positioned myself 366m, or 400 yds from the target. It seems to me that you set the baseline of a ranging (rangeing? both spellings look wrong) bracket on the target's belt line, trying likely ranges 'til the shoulders snug up into the upper line of the bracket, like you see in the attachment. Now, with the range established, adjust to the corresponding aimpoint, and take the shot.

I find the rangeing out to 600 yds almost easy, but the 700 to 1000 yard brackets are all too similar to each other at 14x magnification and the necessary resolution for it. I might just suck at sniping, though.

The illuminated cross is my artistic license. The black pixel at the upper tip of the cross is the 100 yd POA. The lower tip is the 300 yd POA. The cross is head width at 200 yds. It's neat, but this reticle should be completely illuminated in green, and I'm working on that.

I trial-and-errored the drops for ammo velocity 852m/s and drag 0.395, even though the documentation I found states the reticle is calibrated for 777m/s and whatever the drag is for boat-tailed match grade .308 in 7.62mm cartridges is. Might fix that later, I dunno.

Playtesting within 600 yds has been fun enough, so far.

And I'm not sure, but with my adaptation of the Springfield Govm'nt, I just might have done all the reticles. * shrugs *

//////////////<- Is there no BBcode for an hr? ->\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit: I've got four things for you here. I spent hours today preparing the first three:

But I think I got a nice green illuminated reticle as good as this game can get it. 'Cause there's a multiplyat targa, an add targa, and 510 possible shades of green for each, and I didn't test all 260,100 combinations to see which one works best in all lighting conditions, but I did try a lot of them.

And adding this line of code to the .wac:

Code:
if elapse 1 then add v1 24 then tod v1 endif
...causes 24-minute skips in the time of day once a second, so the entire diurnal cycle lasts one minute. A useful trick for testing reticles in different lighting conditions. If your map is already using v1 for something, switch to variable v2 up to v65535*. Whatever is free, you know?

Apparently in JO, maybe DFX1 and DFX2, you can .wac up the time of day for, as an example, 10:17 PM with:

Code:
if [TRIGGER] then
tod(22:17)
endif
But:

Code:
if [TRIGGER] then
tod(1337)
endif
will do the same 'cause 10:17 PM is minute 1337 of a 1440 minute day.

Maybe. I haven't really tested this much.

Oops: You have to set a variable (v0 to v65535*) to 1337 first, then use the variable as tod. So if you set v99 to 1337, then trigger tod(v99), then the game will accept 1337 as 10:37 PM. Sorry for the suboptimized info.

*I just tried the .wac with v999999999. Worked fine. In JO, there seems to be no unreasonable limit on how high you can number a mission variable. Huh.

////////////<- There should be BBcode for an hr ->\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit again: Testing fog manipulation .wac scripting on my test range map, I had an idea, tried it out, and, for all intents and purposes and well within military specs, if you back the magnification from the max 14x to 12x on the M24 with the Springfield Gubm'nt reticle that has POAs in hundred-yard intervals, the drops then align almost perfectly with hundred-meter POIs. Fun!

I've reinstated the 'Distance:' and 'Elevation:' lines on the HUD. It's weird to see 183m for the elevation, but I'll deal with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_Gov762_14x.jpg (332.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Gov762_14x_G_Day.jpg (210.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Gov762_14x_G_Night.jpg (213.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_Gov762_14x_G_NVG.jpg (167.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 04-04-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:37 PM

Playing around with another attempt at a good Eotech holographic reticle:

Scaling is as correct as I could math it. The 68 moa ring inner diameter is 66 moa, outer diameter is 69 moa, points are 88 moa from tip to tip. Not sure that dimension is correct, but it's what I'm going with, lacking a blueprint to follow. 2x magnification on auto. 4x on semi to suggest 'focus,' which in other games just means extra zoom. I think you'd want focus on semi. I know I do.

I like the noise effect I got on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_Eotech_2x_and_4x.jpg (392.7 KB, 10 views)

Tags
bhd mods, bhd sights, m60 sights, optical sights, wtf