Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

DRM Free music

I've been debating on signing up for a music service for a long time because I don't want to use P2P networks due to not wanting to be sued out of house and home. So in search of 'bypassing' DRM I found Audacity recording software, which is free. Aparently (), all you have to do is play the DRM infested file with audacity running in the background and it records what the sound card outputs, leaving you with the same quality music minus the DRM infection. At least.. that's what I read on some site..

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
yep.

Though it may be quicker to burn the DRM songs to a cd, then rip them back to mp3, I think that would also negate DRM (I haven't tried it).

IcI
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Actually, Audacity is pretty simple and fast. All you have to do is listen to the song and then export what it recorded to the format of your choice (including mp3).

I read about the CD burning thing. But I also herd of some problems with that solution.. But i'm not that familiar with it because I have never tried it so I don't know for sure..

The only reason I want to get rid of DRM is because if I am going to pay for a song, I am going to do what I want with it... I should not be restricted to playing it only on a few select mp3 players, or only on one computer etc etc. I also don't believe that I should loose the song if I canceled my subscription with someone like napster or yahoo, that's just retarded.

DRM is evil.. is does not stop anyone anyways. All it does it piss legit people off.. All the people that do not want DRM find a way around it. Everyone else probably doesn't even know it exists, so it really accomplishes nothing. Same with games and the like.. Why copy protect them? Someone always finds a way around it, usually before the game is even released. They are better off saving the 100's of thousands of dollars they spend trying and develop a new game. Microsoft learned. There is no copy protection at all on Microsoft's CD's. Microsoft piracy did not go up because of it..

Last edited by Scott; 08-27-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:12 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I use audacity all the time... I was just thinking that for example if I were to convert my music collection with DRM, i would have to listen to over 5 hours + the time in between each song to name and save. Where as burning then ripping It would handle all of that for me... but like I said, never ripped a song from a cd that had drm songs burned to it.

As for DRM, My main problem is that when I do a reformat, all of my songs don't always download the license again, so I have to contact customer service. I get all of my songs from walmart.com... they let you copy the songs unlimited amount of times to mp3 players (don't know about multiple, I only have 1).

I too don't like DRM... but I can't fault them, as they are just trying to protect there stuff how ever futile it may be. The legit people have to suffer because of the people who use it illegally.

IcI
Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
Queue Canada...
Gotta love us for having our legal music downloads!

However, I have been looking into the new Napster so that I could be guarenteed to get great sounding music the first download, not the second or third.

As for DRM free, i've heard most programs just re-record through your soundcard (thus resulting in crappy sound). Any truth to this?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

The first few times I tried it I got crappy sound because it was going through the mic.. After I learned how the settings worked and copied directly from the sound card it sounded exactly like the orig..

Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Post FairUse4WM strips Windows Media DRM!

what is it:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916

guide to using it

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/f...ows-media-drm/

Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I downloaded that also, but I was unsure if it worked for yahoo or napster's music and I was to lazy to search. Guess it does.. thanks sb.