Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Extreme weather

Went through a mild thunderstorm late last night (i've seen better though) and managed to take some photos of the bolts of lightning that danced across the sky and occasionally blew up some trees.

What do you think? Good or what...

btw, since i live in the desert, storms like these are rare. But since i was born in the tropics and lived up there all my life, this storm was mild in comparison to the monsoonal thunderstorms...
Old 11-12-2006, 09:56 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
those are cool!

Good pics

IcI
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 PM

thanks mate. Took em from the door of my flat and the orange bolt i took in the backyard...out in the freezing rain lol
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Terry is offline Terry

impressive!

-----
GIFTS - X
Old 11-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will its been crazy, some of the bugs think its sping time. there been butterflys going around here, normal i seen them in the sping time.

weather been crazy cold front come in freezing and then hot again 32F to 90F. freaky thunder storm as will.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
nice pics m8 great timing must be a good camera for the shudder speed

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 PM

thanks mates. But, i wish i did have a good camera...these were taken with a digital camera - and you know how slow they are to take a shot. I pretty much filmed them with its built in video camera, then i went back to the pc, loaded the footage on and took screenshots of the footage in full screen. That was the hard part though, since most of the bolts that etched across the sky happened in less than a second.

But thats besides the point. This is the first time ive ever had the oppurtunity to capture a bolt of lightning...or two or three. The last pic is my faviroute.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Nice pics bro.

Chris_OJB_DF645 --
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 11-15-2006, 03:18 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Getting lightning on film (or in this case ccd hehe) is hard and you need a great timing and need to make sure its not too high shutter speed as lightning is quite lit, but not too low either or you wont get the lightning on the picture. Sorry hard time to think right now as im tired so the grammar is poor, spelling to, worse then usual

Great idea to film it! My film SLR cant do that lmao but we have a very short (at tops 2 months) thunder and lightning season (well I don't know whats comon there but I know our's are tiny in comparanse hah. One was a bit over the top though, I was afraid that our electrical wiring would burn as the lightning struck and I saw lightning from the electrical outlets) so I don't have that great opertunity.

We do however have Aurora Borealis (nothern lights, they do great on photos!), I would have to go around 170 miles north to see them though but it's not that far and takes about one and a half day to get there by train

Only problem would be failing equipment heh, well and it would be annoying having thick gloves while operating the camera. Raindeer gloves are great unless you're operating a camera!

My photography website

Last edited by SilentTrigger; 11-15-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:56 PM

lol i hear ya, Trigger.

The camera's batteries died on me once during filming, had to replace em. Then i had to load the footage onto the computer after every minute of filming because my memory card isnt very big. But hey, i got some awesome shots! I will be definitely doing this again the next time a storm comes around.

Never seen an aurora before though...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 AM
K_DOG is offline K_DOG

those r sum wicked photos u have there, perfect timing and perfect pics.
GOOD on ya front-liner.
cheers.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by front-liner ™
lol i hear ya, Trigger.

The camera's batteries died on me once during filming, had to replace em. Then i had to load the footage onto the computer after every minute of filming because my memory card isnt very big. But hey, i got some awesome shots! I will be definitely doing this again the next time a storm comes around.

Never seen an aurora before though...
I think I've seen them but not sure lmao. I was up north 16 years ago so its a bit hard to remember any "sky details" I did have a blast with snowmobiles though!

Yep thy are great shots! Too bad about the quality but if you make them black and white then septia (kind of) the noise will add to the photo rather then the oposite. The noise is colored noice and that's what takes from the photo in my opinion, if it would me more like film grain it would be lovley!

But its not easy when its film and they still kick ass!

My photography website

Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 AM

oh hell yeah! Say, when is the next comet due to pass by Earth? the last time i saw Haley's was...when i was like 8 or something - so ten years ago. When i saw that huge object drift silently across the 3am dark skies i thought i was dreaming. I would love to get a shot of that beast...

Or when is the next time we're due to have a meteor storm? I remember seeing that when i was 12. Not very good because there were too many lights, but we saw a hell of a lot of tracers...That'd be good to photo...even if you had one of the older cameras, just leave teh shutter open and let it absorb all of that light...

If i ever manage to take any other amazingly cool photos, i'll be posting em here for all of you to enjoy.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 AM
-1PARA-

Would be great to see some more photos even though they are not of lightning

I have taken several long exposures, some of around 3 minutes, but as of yet I dont have a drivers license (which I thought about that when I was younger but the money was used for other things, now im short on money heh) so I cant go to any nice places, I don't want to lugg everything on the bus! heh Unfortently the one I scanned has crappy quality as my scanner has a problem with darker photos (can handle bright light really well but thats about it), I'm thinking of getting a new scanner as I'm not ready to move from film to digital (well I am but I dont have the money for the camera I want, the D200 and I will never give up on film!)

I don't know about those astrology questions lol, I always happen to miss everything because of bad weather

My photography website