Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
ArmA 2 Co-op vids

Freaking amazing. The main thing of course being realism - the fact that these co-ops can last for ages, everything is diverse and everyone's using military lingo.

Coarse language - beware!

(There is a part 2 to this second vid - just find it if you're clicking on the link)

(This one I like - it's desert, has nice non-obtrusive music and a bit sped up so it looks faster-paced.)

Just curious, you do maps like this Steve? These have got to be a blast!
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i find the second one guy face painted light blue in color, that would stand out!
think ether tan/ black be better or none at all lmfao

why is that guy body blue in color? arms and face lmfao
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 AM

I noticed that lol - I have no idea. I thought either it's a weird looking camo in the game... or it's a mod?
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
this is how Arma should be played really, if ppl think it's too over the top then that's why there is call of duty for fun and bunny hopping

i play only on Sparta server: http://www.gametracker.com/server_in....116.136:2301/ the server is setup to run the domination game type, which means blufor have to attach and capture a town / village occupied by oopfor. this consists of around 250+ infantry and 50 or 60+ pieces of armour.

the gameplay is heavily based on teamwork, and is relatively easy going but with good co ordination, and you can pretty much do what you want but if you go rambo then you get left on your own to die a lot lol, do stupid stuff then your gonna get booted.

all pilots need to be added to a list due to the number of ppl joinging the server to piss about , steal assets that are needed to get to the objectives or are just in there to wreck as much stuff in the blufor base as possible.

you need a range of roles to complete successfully, anti armour, machine gunners, snipers, spotters, mortars, artillery, medics etc etc, everyone is needed.

the same ppl join week after week, and all join teamspeak, which the game would be complete chaos without.

the game type is constantly being changed by the coders at Sparta, the latest major addition was to create 2 human controlled opfor players and one human controlled opfor commander. this means that the opfor commander has control over all the troops and armour. it's inevitable for opfor to lose but it's completely changed the way the game works, and also shows how bad the AI are controlled by the software. now it is a different game.

on fridays the server is run tactically - locked server, everyone on ts, mission commander, 2nd in command, squad leaders the whole lot. some of the guys played arma1 like this so starting off things were organised but 1/2 the peeps (inc myself) never tried this before, but after a few months then it's become really well organised and a hell of a lot of fun.

the domination gametype is not the same as the coop missions, you know what you are facing - freekin tons of stuff - but you can attack a town in so many ways. i find the specific missions edspite being very open, are always going to be somewhat linier because the objective is so specific. uuum well i know destroy a town is specific but you never get the same scenario repeated, especially with the human controlled ai.
the only limiting factior is the imagination of the mission commander.

must be 5 or 6 months since we started tactical play, i captured some vids one the first night. tbh it's pretty boring to watch tactical missions, but gives the general idea of what goes on. in game you are usually travelling or scouting or doing something so it's better than watching a vid

boring but discussion of next target whilst en route to target, right at the end you can see the plan on the map

bit of action at the start of this one, this is first contact with the target area with everyone shooting at once. then some movement to get into town. as you can see and hear, the commander is having a hard time getting everyone moving to gether

continuing into the town, and completion

next mission, note that i start and stop the recording intermittently, the mission takes probably an hour. the newer domination gametype can take 2 or 3 hours to complete 0_0

generally the orders were never as specific as at the start of this one, and even less so now that the target areas are so huge.

it's not always serious tho

only once did we do a whole squad paradrop, but shows the versatility of the game.

you wil be able to see my YELLOW hands in that vid at the end. for me it's purely for identification, we played some hardcore coop which has no names or markers so it was pretty much impossible to tell who was who. arma2 lets you use custom faces (upper body skin), and when you join a game all the faces are uploaded to all players so everyone sees your colours etc. i made some for a few guys, here's Luggage with a Welsh flag on his face and easy to see green hands

the AI dont seem to distinguish between the colours, but unfortunately if you are playing vs human players, then you are at a massive disadvantage as you can imagine. ive had to resort to an allover camo pattern instead of my big yellow washing up gloves

you can also have squad logos, they appear on the side of vehicles when you ge in as driver

that is all for now
Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
is that a NBC Mask case he has on his side?
do you all use them in the game too? or that for looks
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks for that Steve.

What I'd like to see is stealthy squad-type missions. Maybe you have like 5 people that HALO from an aircraft and then they're pretty much on their own to take a whole village or something? Or let's say, trek to the other side of Chernarus/Utes without being caught?

I wouldn't even care if I never got to shoot anything in these co-ops. The immersion is that awesome from the looks of it!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
is that a NBC Mask case he has on his side?
do you all use them in the game too? or that for looks
dont think it's a mask. masks will be implemented in ACE mod tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Thanks for that Steve.

What I'd like to see is stealthy squad-type missions. Maybe you have like 5 people that HALO from an aircraft and then they're pretty much on their own to take a whole village or something? Or let's say, trek to the other side of Chernarus/Utes without being caught?

I wouldn't even care if I never got to shoot anything in these co-ops. The immersion is that awesome from the looks of it!
hehe i think we need more players like that. during our tac night last week our squad leader had a very hard time keeping us in tow, we entered the target area by avoiding 2 tanks but with constant requests to destroy said armour every few seconds

it's resonably difficult to avoid contact, all depends on type of enemy, location, how many friendlies and i think a lot is down to ths scripting of that particular mission as well.

someone mentioned a script that meant that if you stole an enemy vehicle, then there is only a very small chance that the AI would actually identify you as enemy. the game engine and scripting is amazing, but the ideas that ppl come up with is stunning.

i think BI tweaked the settings for detection by AI when crawling through grass, it now seems you can get much closer before being detected when you are trying to hide.

i managed to crawl up to a Shilka (anti air) and plant a satchel charge next to it, erm when i detonated it, the tank just drove off and then turned me to dust with it's cannons but hey you cant win 'em all. also had a tank drive upto me and then park over my body, after a short time it drove off and never saw me.

small coop missions are very difficult, but again it depends on the scripter. played some of the small coop missions with the sparta guys. completely changes the experience again, especially if you put it on no respawns. it can be very rewarding to complete missions, moreso if the whole team survives. generally you really would like to avoid all contact with the enemy unless a particular task requires you to do so.

it can get pretty intense and like you said it has great immersion.

great gaming community btw: http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/index.php arma server is usually pretty busy
Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 PM

BMPs were so annoying in OFP1 - they always managed to run you over as if they didn't notice you. There was also a mission or two where you'd have to C4 some Shilkas - as long as you stay prone most the time it was fine and you were undetected.

- Interesting video on ACE2.

- Managed to find a stealth mission. :P

Keep us posted.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 AM

*Waits patiently for Steve to enlighten us with something*