Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
NovaLogic File Extensions

NOVALOGIC FILE EXTENSIONS LIST

NL file extensions list, work in progress. Based off my list started on DFReload.

rev2: Added moar infos and links to applications.
rev1: First release.

.3di = In-game 3D model file, created with DF4OED (for BHD) and SuperOED (for JO/DFX/DFX2). The 3DI
is created in these applications from the ASE file.

.ain = AI Coordinates File. Contains all data necessary for AI navigation system.
Files are produced by NILE's node generator. These aid the AI navigating around objects so they don't get stuck.

.adm = Animation Data Map

.adl = Animation Data Batch Listing

.adt = Animation Data Triggers

.aip = AI perimeters file.

.ase = ASCII model file ready for importing in DF4OED/SuperOED for conversion into 3DI. Applications such as
3D Studio Max export to ASE.

.bad = Bone Animation Data. Can be opened with NovaLogic Bones Character System to view game animations.

.bin = Holds mostly all text strings displayed in-game (menu, weapons, in-game, etc.). Able to be editted using
this application.

.bms = Binary (exported) version of the .mis file. It is a release version of a map that is read-only
and cannot be opened in the MED. There is a BMS2MIS available, but it does not replicate the original .mis file
100% completely.

.bmx = Mission save file. NOT player save files. May be accompanied with thumbnail .pcxs. Seen in LW/TFD/BHD.

.cin = Cinematics file. Stores info on pre-mission cinematics. If the .cin is in the game folder, a cinematic
will play before the mission. Use CineTool?

.cpt = Converted poly terrain file for terrains. Created with TrnGen using .raw heightmap.
TrnGen can be found in the Official BHD Mod Tools.
For generated .cpts to work with JO/DFX/DFX2, use DPTH2CDEP.

.csv = Comma seperated values, generic document. Can be opened with Notepad or imported into
spreadsheet applications such as Microsoft Excel

.dbf = Dialog binary format - binary dialog data (delays, number of lines, etc.). created by
SNDC.

.dds = 2D texture files for .3di files. Can be opened with a number of applications including Photoshop.

.def = Holds weapon profiles, item profiles, etc. for the game (may need to be decrypted). Notepad

.end = Cinematics file played at end of mission (may need to be decrypted). Open with Notepad/

.env = Environment files for the game (lighting, time of day, sky colour, sky textures, etc.). Open with
Notepad.

.fnt = Font files. Many font files found in the .pffs, especially Arial and Impact.

.fx = Effects files?

.htm = Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) file. NovaLogic have a few in the directory for their older games,
including a NovaWorld login .htm file.

.iai = Item Attributes Info (replaces ITEMS.def). ??

.ifl = Build Info Listing. This is one of the exported map files. It contains information such as a 3DI listing. It
is similar to the map .log file, which is a more specific 3DI listing. Open in Notepad.

.grm = Facial expressions for characters. WAC file can be used to control expressions on characters' faces.

.kda = WIP ??

.key = Key file (for keys on the keyboard). ??

.ldo = Loadout text. ??

.log = Log export file for maps. Contains a comprehensive list of all the 3DI files used in a map as well as
the amount of memory it uses. It also contains a total of decos, buildings, objects, etc. used.

.lwf = Loose wavefront file. Contains information and profiles on sound files used in-game. Similar to .def files.
May need to be decrypted or converted, so use these tools here.

.mdt = Bump map file, which is essentially a .tga texture which has been bump mapped with an alpha channel,
and saved with an .mdt extension. Bump maps can be created with nVidia DDS Plugins.

.mis = Raw map files for the MED that are able to be editted. When map is done it is exported into a non-edittable format (.bms) so it can be playable in-game.

.mnu = Game menu files which define text string positions in menu, positions of icons, pages, etc. Open in Notepad.

.npj = NILE mission file (like the .mis).

.npz = NILE exported mission file (non-edittable)?

.pcx = PC Bitmap Graphic. .pcx is used to display the loading screens, the mission briefing screens,
MED item thumbnails, etc. Open with graphics application.

.pff = Resource files for DF games just like .zips or .rars. Can be created/modified with many 3rd party apps, and
even Nova's own pack.exe tool. Nova games usually have 3-4 .pffs, each having different resources inside
(e.g. med.pff to hold all MED-related stuff, resource.pff for textures, models, etc.).

.ptg = Same as .ptu, usually one of each?

.ptl = Particle file.

.ptu = Effects Definition (may need to be decrypted). Open in Notepad.

.raw = Greyscale raw image for terrains. Nova games use 8-bit one channel .raw file. Used with TrnGen to convert
to .cpt for in-game terrain for BHD/JO/DFX/DFX2.

.rc = TextTool resource. Generated when a file is saved using TextTool.

.sav = Player save file.

.sbf = Stream Binary File. Holds the in-game music and other bits.

.sdf = Sound definitions file. Temporary text file generated by SNDC to create an .lwf file. The file is able to
be opened and re-converted using SNDC to generate a new .lwf.

.scr = Dialog Script File. The file is created by NovaLogic designer and given the .scr extension manually. It is
used to define audio strings and dialogue driven on-screen text.

.sdf = Sound Define Format.

.stx = Sound Text Xref.

.tga = Truevision Targa Graphic, similar to .dds file. DDS is the primary texture format for BHD/JO/DFX/DFX2,
although .tga can be used as texture format. This format is also used for things such as the in-game menu backgrounds, HUD elements,
buttons, etc. Older DF games used .tga for textures. Open with graphics application.

.til = Tile file which stores where tiles are placed and is one of the output files when a map is exported. Tile data
can be imported/exported into other maps on the Tiler window in the MED.

.tpj = Terrain Project File. Contains terrain name, creator, heightmap path, etc. Used with TrnGen.

.trn = Terrain files for missions. File defines .tgas used, terrain grid, autofoliage types, etc. Open in
Notepad.

.tsd = Tile Surface Defines. ??

.wac = If/then/else/endif boolean logic commands for missions. Used for eventing, playing text strings, etc. Can
be used alongside normal events in the MED - or even replace it altogether. WAC exists only in BHD and above.
Good beginner's guide to .wac files here. Open in Notepad.

.wav = Sound files for the game (may need to be decrypted). Windows Media Player
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black

Last edited by Steve; 08-09-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

Hardley Originel Chrispy, it's been lying around modding sites for years,
just don't try and open .ptl with particle edit, for .bik use bink, etc etc
Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
why would you do that mermite? I just open PTL's with Note pad and change the Data.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERMITE View Post
just don't try and open .ptl with particle edit, for .bik use bink, etc etc
Do you really have anything good to say nowadays? Let's see for instance, a attack on our squad leader, crappy reviews on peoples' maps here, and a whole lot of other things?

I don't care if it isn't original - does it have to be original? The purpose of this topic is to help, not find ground-breaking modding techniques...
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
great post Chrispy
Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERMITE View Post
it's new here and useful. don't be a troll, it's best if you don't post at all if you're gonna comment like this.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
I would change the description for *.csv files -

csv stands for comma separated values and is really a generic document. It can be opened up in notepad also, or any program that knows how to separate data based on its delimiter being a comma. to call it a Microsoft excel document is a bit miss leading because it isn't. Excel just knows how to import and use the file.

Good list though
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 AM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Do you really have anything good to say nowadays? Let's see for instance, a attack on our squad leader, crappy reviews on peoples' maps here, and a whole lot of other things?

I don't care if it isn't original - does it have to be original? The purpose of this topic is to help, not find ground-breaking modding techniques...
and that you have Done chrispy. This post is pretty interesting. and I for one have never seen a extension list for Novalogic and I find it very helpful.

Thanks a million Chrispy.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM

NP guys.

Yeah I can fix that ici, just as the list says it's a WIP lol. :P

I'm planning on adding links to these tools stated too...
Old 07-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
Many of these can be found on other modding sites, but a list as complete as this? sorry no Mermite. Chrispy put together one of the most complete lists.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 07-26-2009, 06:12 AM
~BLÃÐE~ is offline ~BLÃÐE~

Send a message via ICQ to ~BLÃÐE~
Great List m8

Its positive posts like this that helps others, even gets people interested in mods or how the game files work for interest sake.
Good Job Crispy
Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 PM

Cheers guys lol, I still need to add a LOT more to this list. Right now I can't edit it but I'll find something out lol.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 AM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

I stand corrected,

AS THIS LIST GROWS, I HOPE AS MAPPERS WE LEARN TO FLIP THESE FILE EXTENSIONS AROUND WITH EASE.

(maybe it should be in the DFX2 section?)
Old 08-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
sweet thread chrispy

these cover all of Novalogic inc games now and in the pass
==========================will maybe not DF: X's=========
blk = blink files; video animation clip mainly for intro's and short game clips video made with Radtools.

link: http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

i just update my to the newer version before i read this thread. RadTool Vr 1.9n is out
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 08-07-2009, 03:30 AM

I've been massively building up this list as well as providing links to the applications needed to open these types of files. I'll send the source code to one of the admins in future so they can edit my OP.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:31 AM
katana*GFR* is offline katana*GFR*

Send a message via ICQ to katana*GFR* Send a message via MSN to katana*GFR*
look into crimson editor or something similar, it opens loads of different file types, saves a lot of programs needed ^^

Nice list, i wish it was available when i was into df2 mapmaking..

Found on Youtube:
Quote:
And if Newton Faulkner's voice can be described as "R&B" then Kurt Cobain must be a member of Boyz II Men.
Link here
Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Roger.

I might also think of maybe adding the DFs' names that have these file types too... E.g. BHD and above only use .dds, since the older ones used .tga...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

list updated
Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Cheers man.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
V497-Vesper-aD- is offline V497-Vesper-aD-

Need Help With SNDC.EXE

Hello NovaHQ, My name is Vesper110 or V497-Vesper-aD- and i need help with SNDC.exe, When i try to convert my LWF files I get an error message,
can anyone help me with this error and tell me what i need, i am an AVID DFX-DFX2 Mapper and have built in combination 9 Custom Campaigns for both DFX games and want to make my work better, any tips on SBDC or any other programmes used for adding to both DFX Games will be helpful

thank you

Regards V497-Vesper-aD-