Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Send a message via ICQ to Sal UK
MSN Messanger Users VIRUS WARNING!

MSN Messenger virus warning

Updated: 10 March 2005

If you use MSN Messenger, you could be vulnerable to a new virus in circulation. You may receive a message from a friend or contact advising you to look at a link or download a file with '.pif' at the end, e.g. 'love_me.pif', 'Drunk_lol.pif' or 'Webcam_004.pif'. Please delete this message, and do not click on the link.

What can happen?

You could be vulnerable to hackers controlling your PC, accessing personal information such as passwords, using your personal information fraudulently, or using your computer to send unsolicited spam messages to other people in your contact list.

What should you do?

You should install the latest updates to your operating system available free of charge from Microsoft Windows Update. Updates are designed to fix bugs and vulnerabilities in Windows products like Windows XP, 2000 & 98, and give your PC better protection from viruses and hackers. Windows Update is easy to use. It scans your PC automatically, and lets you know exactly what you need to do to keep your computer up to date.

Microsoft have also made available a Malicious Software Removal Tool Malicious Software Removal Tool, which can be used to clean various forms of viruses from PCs running Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Last edited by Sal UK; 03-10-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:32 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
sorry m8, this is kinda old.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

Quote:
Originally posted by EDGE
sorry m8, this is kinda old.
It was Updated Today I call that New.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
aye it's a new one. there has been a few in the last couple of months
Old 03-10-2005, 05:49 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
oh
Old 03-10-2005, 05:50 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Yeah there are three new worms/virus's out that use MSN Messenger. I read it on Googlenews yesterday.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Sal UK is offline Sal UK

I added the link to the removal tool to the post also, Just in case someone dont want to use Windows update.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:22 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Re: MSN Messengers Users VIRUS WARNING!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal UK
MSN Messenger virus warning

Updated: 10 March 2005

If you use MSN Messenger, you could be vulnerable to a new virus in circulation. You may receive a message from a friend or contact advising you to look at a link or download a file with '.pif' at the end, e.g. 'love_me.pif', 'Drunk_lol.pif' or 'Web-cam_004.pif'. Please delete this message, and do not click on the link.

What can happen?

You could be vulnerable to hackers controlling your PC, accessing personal information such as passwords, using your personal information fraudulently, or using your computer to send unsolicited spam messages to other people in your contact list.

What should you do?

You should install the latest updates to your operating system available free of charge from Microsoft Windows Update. Updates are designed to fix bugs and vulnerabilities in Windows products like Windows XP, 2000 & 98, and give your PC better protection from viruses and hackers. Windows Update is easy to use. It scans your PC automatically, and lets you know exactly what you need to do to keep your computer up to date.

Microsoft have also made available a Malicious Software Removal Tool Malicious Software Removal Tool, which can be used to clean various forms of viruses from PCs running Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
all so you could use a good anti-virus program that cover Messager and any files that will download to scan them.

not many will take care of messages of all type [Brand names] aol (aim) MS-IM, Xfire IM, yahoo IM, Trillian IM (Leech onto other Messager Eng).

hackers look for holes to hack into and make virus up so its better ask around for a anti-virus program that look for these holes and cover the messages service.

AOL (AIM) and MSN Messager service are better good covering them up, yahoo don't do a very good job again ask what Anti-virus program that is way good to use.

me i would say Norton & Avast! are really good catching the virus.

Norton only update weekdays Tuesdays only,

as for Avast! update 4-6 a week and cover a long list of Messager service about 11 types of messages service.
01.) MSN/Windows Messager
02.) Yahoo Messager
03.) ICQ
04.) AIM (aol IM)
05.) Trillian (leech Messager service) you will need to edited to cover it. easy
06.) mIRC*
07.) Miranda*
08.) Gaim*
09.) Odigo*
10.) Gadu-gadu*
11.) Psi Jabber Client*
www.avast.com/index.html
Avast! will be add-in Xfire IM to their listing soon i talk with the tech they are looking into it. free for home user and works really good for windows xp family i really like Boot-up scan it do.

Avast! all so cover long list PSP program all so, i only believe if you use a P2P program you ask for a virus and really don't care at all.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 03-11-2005 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

Thanks for the word on that Sal!!!!

WArmest Regards