Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Current financial situation

How are guys/gals dealing with it?

Gas price seems to have gone down from $3.70+ to $3.10 in a week and a half. However, fewer and fewer people are buying goods and services. Restaurants are not that filled either. Lay offs are picking up as companies are looking into cutting corners to stay in business.

What do you see?

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 10-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I hear about people pulling money out of the bank, 401k's and selling stocks. Gas around here has hit $2.79. I don't really see less people shopping or buying things though. My work just hired a new guy and we are moving to a new, bigger building in Jan next year.

I really don't know what to think of this.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
IcIshoot is offline IcIshoot

Send a message via AIM to IcIshoot Send a message via MSN to IcIshoot Send a message via Yahoo to IcIshoot
From my view - nothing has changed.

Gas is down under $3 here now.

Financially, I think my parents loosing the renters of our old house is hurting them more money wise then any thing else.

Here in my city they are working on a company moving in that will bring in around 8,000 jobs - really, if it weren't for the news it wouldn't appear as any thing is going on lol

but then again, I'm a 24 year old who doesn't really pay attention to any thing other then my computer, so I may be missing something
Old 10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
ok atm, one big problem i can see coming is if i try to change my mortgage in a years time but not much i can do apart from not worry too much until then.

work-wise we're ok, infact pretty damn busy.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 PM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I haven't seen much change. Besides on the news where the lay offs at Volvo (and supplyers to Volvo), during one day Volvo PV let over 3000 go. Other then the failing market I haven't noticed much and banks arn't as effected here as in the rest of the world (knock wood).

Work wise: I'm swamped with work and at times do up to 14 hours aday to keep up and working weekends aswell. Company wise, we have work now and probebly until januari but after that I don't know.

My photography website

Old 10-12-2008, 03:06 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Here it seems to be going ok.

Gas is $3.37 and I always see the sign "Hiring"; unfortunately it is not at very high paying places but they would never put a hiring sign out of they paid a lot.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Lakie is offline Lakie

You only loose if you sell your shares, unless your invested in some 2 bit company thats going to go under your better off just holding onto them...

Big thing here is the Aussie Dollars value as against the USD, still what most economists would consider strong but nowehre near where it was a while ago, we were close to hitting partiy, now a dollar is only worth about 70 US cents.

Last edited by Lakie; 09-20-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Ok. Gas just hit $2.98

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
will i seen the gas pump 10gal for like 32.?? did not catch what of the three price type one it was pumping out.

think it was 2.80 or something to that a gallon of gas, was going pass a shell gas station they had it like .30c cheaper then we got it for.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Luckz is offline Luckz

Send a message via AIM to Luckz Send a message via Yahoo to Luckz
It's the presidential election year guys, gas has always dropped during it. As far as my job I haven't sold a treadmill in about 4 months...no one buys anything expensive anymore. Good thing I don't work on commission...only scarey thing is im an architecture student...im petrified when i get my license there won't be any jobs...since that construction field is the first to get hit...

SOTW #1 Winner

Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Yeah the building market is **** right now but it will pick up after all this, then you'll be happy you have that degree.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 AM
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
You only loose if you sell your shares, unless your invested in some 2 bit company thats going to go under your better off just holding onto them...

Big thing here is the Aussie Dollars value as against the USD, still what most economists would consider strong but nowehre near where it was a while ago, we were close to hitting partiy, now a dollar is only worth about 70 US cents.
Oh yeah noticed that to (forgot it temporarly), dollar is worth more which I dislike for the same reason as you Mike (atleast buy services from USA, don't import anything).

My photography website

Last edited by Lakie; 09-20-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
"ath-hole"

when I was in brazil the $ was dropping. When I got there it was like 2 reais for a dollar, when I left it was like 1.30 reais for a dollar.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM
-1PARA-

Icelands stockmarket (or what ever it's called) closed with over 70% drop today, that got to hurt heh. That country is probebly the worst off in this financial situation.

My photography website

Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Luckz is offline Luckz

Send a message via AIM to Luckz Send a message via Yahoo to Luckz
i know a lot of banks like bank of america cut the divends from share holders in half...like if they were paying 6% to share, becomes 3% that way they have that other 3 go into a pool incase the economy gets real bad lol

SOTW #1 Winner

Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
"ath-hole"

That sucketh.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Yeah the building market is **** right now but it will pick up after all this, then you'll be happy you have that degree.
houses there is like 40% all the housing in my small township is up for sell.

almost every street i drive down there is like 5-8 house's up for sell, price has not drop on the selling price still sky high, really funny to think.

my county jack the property tax up! as will in my area! any house sell for say 150.000.00 and my place it only goes for 25.000.00 i have to pay the same tax as that house sold for 1500.000.00

general rule if a house sells more in 5mile area! and its with in 5miles of my house! i have to pay the same tax as that house sold for. freaking sucks

small mom and pop stores most are no more they folded up. there are a lot of empty stores front in town now, they could not keep up with the high cost! one guy had a stone/ jems store he could not keep it open any more, country tax him for all the hardware he use like the store and all the computers, gear to make rings and other things to sell to other.

you buy a new item like a computer system paid sell Tax on it later the country turn around you have it in your place they tax you more each year! for you having it in use or not, its there they tax it more from you!

man times have change
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]