Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Into the Mouth of MEDness

Aww!

lolfake posted something a bit anti-NovaLogic, he hates it, and he's leaving, now who's with him?! But the thread's gone now.

I had written this as a reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolfake
"...This message isn't for Baldo,Stopmem,Scott just for the newcomers"
Yeah. We're kind of stuck here.

Dogs are basically bundles of eternal, unconditional love that slobber a lot. If you post, "Dogs are assholes," on the internet, a virtual army of torch-and-pitchfork mobs will swarm down upon you. Nowhere near as many as you expected, but only because most dog owners are out walking their buddies and living life. They don't really get the internet.

Cats are little heat-seeking murder machines with no respect for human suffering and a contempt for us limited only by naps and claw-proof food packaging. State on the internet, "Cats are assholes," the general response will be a resigned, "Yeah... but they purr."

That's all background to this assertion: if a dog loves you, it's because you're there, but if a cat loves you, that's an accomplishment.

So you play Battlefield or Call of Duty, and they work correctly, they're lots of fun, the girly-voiced twelve-year-olds bang your mom and endlessly vociferate about it, and the next edition comes out, and you move on and it's great. Sometimes, these games poop on your carpets, but they mostly adhere to expected norms of behavior and fetch the sticks you throw.

But NovaLogic games...

At best mediocre. A bit boring. Buggy. Broken.

I never really made it past DFBHDTS. The JO and DFX demos were nice, but I had reasons to hold onto the money I've earmarked for gaming.

DFBHDTS is a mess, but it's a mess I've become comfortable with. I got through all the hissing and growling, figured out where it hates to be scritched, and it eventually stopped hiding under the bed, and enjoys long naps in my lap now.

And, oh, when I make it purr...

I have a fundamental personality trait: I can appreciate and enjoy perfection, but if I'm going to love something, it has to be flawed. Everything I love is broken to some extent, and I project a sense of personality into that. I might require therapy.

DFBHDTS is functional enough to attract me, but broken enough to keep me trying to fix it. I've gone a long, long way toward that goal, and I can't leave it now. Therapy must wait.

Scott and Stompem probably feel similarly. As I said, we're stuck.

DFBHDTS is not too difficult to mod. DFBHDTS is not a great game, but wow, can you do what you want with it!

It's the gods damned Mission Editor, really though.

In the past, I've described the insanity you need to really work the MED. It's intoxicating. I've spent the last two days reworking the USS Nimitz that IAM -IS- built for his map "U.S.S. Nimitz 2" because the BMS2MIS is a thing. I'm a s**t map creator, but I am an unparalleled map editor. I practice as much as I can, no matter how much sleep I lose, and my back will stop aching after a nap. I hope. But the new bow and stern I made for it are impressive, and the helicopter works better.

Consciously, I'm glad you're escaping, really. It's for the best.

Subconsciously, though... I pity you that you slipped away from The Claw of the MEDness. It so divinely wounds!

Hmm. Did that get weird at the end? That got weird at the end.

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 08-23-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Rewording and spelling. Some of us still care.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
Aww!

lolfake posted something a bit anti-NovaLogic, he hates it, and he's leaving, now who's with him?! But the thread's gone now.

I had written this as a reply:

Yeah. We're kind of stuck here.

Dogs are basically bundles of eternal, unconditional love that slobber a lot. If you post, "Dogs are assholes," on the internet, a virtual army of torch-and-pitchfork mobs will swarm down upon you. Nowhere near as many as you expected, but only because most dog owners are out walking their buddies and living life. They don't really get the internet.

Cats are little heat-seeking murder machines with no respect for human suffering and a contempt for us limited only by naps and claw-proof food packaging. State on the internet, "Cats are assholes," the general response will be a resigned, "Yeah... but they purr."

That's all background to this assertion: if a dog loves you, it's because you're there, but if a cat loves you, that's an accomplishment.

So you play Battlefield or Call of Duty, and they work correctly, they're lots of fun, the girly-voiced twelve-year-olds bang your mom and endlessly vociferate about it, and the next edition comes out, and you move on and it's great. Sometimes, these games poop on your carpets, but they mostly adhere to expected norms of behavior and fetch the sticks you throw.

But NovaLogic games...

At best mediocre. A bit boring. Buggy. Broken.

I never really made it past DFBHDTS. The JO and DFX demos were nice, but I had reasons to hold onto the money I've earmarked for gaming.

DFBHDTS is a mess, but it's a mess I've become comfortable with. I got through all the hissing and growling, figured out where it hates to be scritched, and it eventually stopped hiding under the bed, and enjoys long naps in my lap now.

And, oh, when I make it purr...

I have a fundamental personality trait: I can appreciate and enjoy perfection, but if I'm going to love something, it has to be flawed. Everything I love is broken to some extent, and I project a sense of personality into that. I might require therapy.

DFBHDTS is functional enough to attract me, but broken enough to keep me trying to fix it. I've gone a long, long way toward that goal, and I can't leave it now. Therapy must wait.

Scott and Stompem probably feel similarly. As I said, we're stuck.

DFBHDTS is not too difficult to mod. DFBHDTS is not a great game, but wow, can you do what you want with it!

It's the gods damned Mission Editor, really though.

In the past, I've described the insanity you need to really work the MED. It's intoxicating. I've spent the last two days reworking the USS Nimitz that IAM -IS- built for his map "U.S.S. Nimitz 2" because the BMS2MIS is a thing. I'm a s**t map creator, but I am an unparalleled map editor. I practice as much as I can, no matter how much sleep I lose, and my back will stop aching after a nap. I hope. But the new bow and stern I made for it are impressive, and the helicopter works better.

Consciously, I'm glad you're escaping, really. It's for the best.

Subconsciously, though... I pity you that you slipped away from The Claw of the MEDness. It so divinely wounds!

Hmm. Did that get weird at the end? That got weird at the end.
Discovery is a driving force behind civilization and technology but in my opinion is itself driven by simple curiosity.

It's understandable if the curiosity for something dies in one but it's as far away from correct as you can get to simply say it has also therefore died in others.

Reasons for adhering to what seem to be insurmountable problems is something that some have and some don't, it's probably a genetic trait or at least a state of mind (learned or not) that's obviously not shared by all.

Leave us with it and you may return to find something again that'll perk you up for a while.

This is all we hope for.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I removed his post because there just isn't any room for that type of discussion here. Those of us that still play these games know that it's a love/hate and will probably keep playing these games until we're the last ones left. Most of us hate NovaLogic in some way. There are just better ways to express it

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq