Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:14 PM
rfburn is offline rfburn

Send a message via Yahoo to rfburn
Biggrin !!!! NEW TERRAIN MAP OF MARS !!!!

I am pleased to announce that I have created a new terrain map and evironment file of MARS. I have tested the map with the unlocked editor and it is just beautiful to build on. Now if I could just find a 3di editor, I would create mars habitats to die for.

If anyone wants the files, simply email me at greg.lipham2@verizon.net

I will be moving this month so my dsl will be shut off for awhile until I get a new account. Therefore, if you want this new terrain and environment and take BHD to the next level, contact me ASAP. If and when i get the 3di editor, I will make some TDM maps for MARS. Word of caution...... to play the new terrains and evironments in multiplayer mode, all players need to have the files placed in their BHD folder where the BHD executable file is located. Its really no more complicated than that. Just copy paste and taa daa !!! Ready to play and/or build new map levels.

Rf Burn
Old 07-25-2003, 12:57 AM
rfburn is offline rfburn

I used a DEM file from USGS and created the new terrain surface. Then I simply colored the terrain as close as I could "imagine" mars might look like. The colors may not be accurate, but the map has no glitches as far as I can tell. Works well in the BHD editor. Since the CPT file is a little bit large (between 6 & 7 megs) I have decided to post it online at a site I put up for just this file.

Here is the address of the site http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ej71/Greg/BHD2.html

There are instructions on the site that will explain how to use the files (seven of them) once you down load the zip file I put them in.
Enjoy the new terrain, and I hope to see people posting new mars maps on the DFBHD websites.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:01 PM
DizAsTeR ! is offline DizAsTeR !

Send a message via AIM to DizAsTeR !
The screenshots look cool... but can you make some EARTH terrains ? I can't imagine a Blackhawk fragin enemies on mars.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:09 PM
rfburn is offline rfburn

Cool want some earth terrains?

Absolutely,
I am currently working on an Earth terrain and a Moon terrain. I want them to be even better than the Mars terrain. I am working on them and also trying to get my hands on some software that will allow me to do special stuff to the terrain designs. I have said too much..... Anyways, glad you took an interest in the Mars terrain. Ever hear of a t.v. show called "Space Above and Beyond" ?

Cordially,
Rf Burn
Old 08-07-2003, 08:26 AM

How do you make terrains? I would like to create some myself but cannot find a utility to do so. Can you send me a copy of what you have or tell me where to get one ? Thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 08:27 AM

Lol, nevermind I just found a tutorial o you're website.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 PM
rfburn is offline rfburn

Yes a good tutorial there

Its a very accurate method of creating terrains. And you had wanted earth terrains so follow the link on my mars page to the canyons page and you will see my latest earth terrain there. You cant see it in the posted pics, but there are bluffs that are a straight drop down into the river bed. Its way cool.
And I tested it alot and found NO GLITCHES. Thats the most important thing.

Rf Burn
Old 08-07-2003, 02:45 PM

I am having some troubles maknig a terrain... Can yuo write a tutorial because that one on youre site sucks
Old 08-07-2003, 02:45 PM

I have the terrain built but Im having trouble conveting the images and getting them t work in BHD and MED
Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 PM

Ok, I have had it. That tutorial makes just a little bit of since but then it gets ...!!! I dunno but Im really &$#$*# right now and almost formated my harddrive because of this crap. they dont explain on how to make the images enough. I saved the top view from Terragan with the blak sides as BMP. Then I opened it in PSP and cropped it and saved as TGA and resized it as 1024. ok and I did the .RAW image. the gray pictre from Terragen. I opened that under 257,257 and flipped it then saved as PCX i believe. Well he keeps refering to open you're BMP. The only BMP i have is the uncropped one because he didnt say to aved the croped one. SO i couldnt do that so I went ahead and saved the cropped version. and it wont open under the CPT program from raven inless its 1024, 1024 so i changed the size....well to make a long story short. I need a better tutorial!
Old 08-07-2003, 04:14 PM
rfburn is offline rfburn

Dude,
Relax..... The tutorials were something that Major Headache and Smokin@420.Bud had previously written regarding seperate DF games. All I did was combine the parts that worked in the right order. You were heading in the right direction. You were correct to crop the bmp and save it as a tga. You were correct to open the raw and save it as a pcx. All of the files should be 1024 x 1024 (except the raw), if not make them as such. You MUST make sure the bmp is 1024 x1024 and also have a greyscale color depth of 256. Thats all you need to do for Ravens program to accept the bmp. I will recheck the tutorial language, and if need be, I will clarify what the original authors had said. Dont format the Hard-drive just for this. Thats kinda drastic dont ya think?

Hang in there,
Rf Burn
Old 08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
rfburn is offline rfburn

OK,
Go back and get the clarified tutorial and read it again. The areas you had trouble with have be defined better for you to understand.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ej71/G..._tutorial.html

Rf Burn
Old 08-08-2003, 02:30 AM

lol, im not gonna format nothing i was just stressed out. Ok, thanks m8
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 AM
rfburn is offline rfburn

Tongue lol, no prob

Going by what you told me earlier, I think you had it right. You just needed to make the bmp file have a depth of 256 (8 bit). Sounds like the size was alright (1024x1024). I bet if you had the 256 color depth set it would have worked. Just remember to set the reduction percent to 35 or 40 in Ravens tool. It helps alot in eliminating those darn terrain glitches.

Rf Burn
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 AM

You need to crop the black off the pic. Use the selection tool and make a square around the image, then copy it and click paste. It will place a new image up.
Resize it to 1024x1024
Save it as a BMP with a color depth of 256
Then save it as a .TGA with a size of 1024x1024 (its ok if you need to increase color depth).
Close PSP.

"Save it as a BMP with a color depth of 256" That was not in the previous version! Thats was one of my ptoblems! Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 02:40 AM
rfburn is offline rfburn

I cant remember where I read about the color depth being 256 (8 bit), but yeah, you need to make sure it is. I tried to clarify the other peoples posts a little bit better this time. Remember, those arent mine, I just put them together and posted it for ez reference. But I can see now that the originals need some cleaning up and organizing. LOL. I guess I got work to do.

Rf Burn
Old 08-08-2003, 02:46 AM

3.Flip your depth map and save as a BMP file. Heavy use of blurring will probably help here.

Im not sure wich image you are refering to here. i had the same poblem last time. Open the 1024, 1024 flip it and save it again ??
Old 08-08-2003, 02:47 AM

then you say this....

"Save your color map as a TGA file. You may wish to reduce the contrast and brightness significantly"

I thought I already did. This is where I get lost.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:52 AM
rfburn is offline rfburn

Ah, another thing that needs me to fix it. No dont do that. What he was refering to was the RAW file, but he got it out of place I think. You open the RAW file as 257x257 and flip it. Then save it as a PCX file. Close and re-open the PCX file and resize it to 1024x1024. The BMP file was the one you cropped earlier and you already re-sized it to 1024x1024, right?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:53 AM

OK, sweet! I tried it and opened it under MED. AND Now the 3D wireframe ACTUALY Looks like my level! It never did before. But I'am still not getting the image of my color map on the MED.