Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM
NateDoggzDotUU is offline NateDoggzDotUU

Confused How will mankind survive a hundred more years?

Stephen Hawkin, the newton-einstien of this decade, has published a video clip of his speech about the survival of mankind. He points out that the dangers of nuclear armament and escalation, climate change, and genetically engineered viruses are more immediate threats. Dr. Hawking also realizes that humankind has a far better chance of survival if discussions of possible solutions spur a desire to take action.

It is only available in audio/video format click here , but I have taken the duty of transcribing it.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM

“How can the human race survive the next 100 years?”

Stephen Hawkin’s speech as transcribed by NateDoggZ

I don’t know the answer. That is why I asked a question to get people to think about it and to be aware of the dangers we now face. Before the 1940’s the main threat to our survival came from collisions with asteroids. Such collisions have caused mass extinctions in the past, but the last one was 70 million years ago. So the likelihood that we will need the services of Bruce Willis in the next hundred years is very small.
A much more immediate danger is nuclear war. America and Russia each have more than enough warheads to kill everyone on earth several times over; and the same may now be true of china. The world came perilously close to nuclear annihilation on more than one occasion in the last 50 years. With the ending of the Cold war the threat has become less acute but it has not gone away. There are still enough nuclear weapons stockpiled to kill us all; and their fuse might be triggered by an accident that convinced a country that it was under attack.
There is now a new danger from small and potentially unstable countries acquiring nuclear weapons. Such minor nuclear powers might cause millions of deaths, but they would not threaten the survival of the entire human race; unless they sparked a conflict between the major powers. The dangers of asteroid collusion and nuclear war have now been joined by a host of other threats to our survival.
Climate change is happening at an ever-increasing rate. While we are hoping to stabilize it, and maybe even reverse it, by reducing our carbon dioxide emissions; the dangers of the climate change may pass a tipping point that the temperature rise may becomes self sustaining. The melting of the Artic and Antarctic ice reduces the amount of solar energy that is reflected back into space; and so increases the temperature further. The rising in sea temperature may trigger a release of large quantities of carbon dioxide trapped at the bottom of the ocean; which will further increase a greenhouse effect. Let’s hope we don’t end up like our sister planet Venus with a temperature of 250 degrees centigrade and raining sulfuric acid.
There are other dangers such as the accidental or intentional release of a genetically engineered virus. Each time we increase our technological powers, we add new possible ways in which things could go disastrously wrong. The human race faces an increasingly dangerous future. There is a thought that the reason we haven’t been visited by aliens is that when a civilization reaches our stage of development; it becomes unstable and destroys itself. In fact, I think there are other reasons why we hadn’t seen any aliens, but the story shows how perilous the situation is.
The long-term survival of the human race will be safe only if we spread out into space and then to other stars. This will not happen for at least a hundred years. So we have to be very careful Perhaps we must hope that genetic engineering will make us wise and less a threat.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
i know how! we dont

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 PM

I just wanted to see how many deep thinkers were hanging out around here.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 AM
tail_gunner is offline tail_gunner

if i make it that long ill worry about it then, untell then im not conserned

Twins, i asked 1, she said no so i asked her sister... And the siter said yes.. HAHA revenge!

and the rest.. well thats a mature story, but in the end i had both of them...
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM
~Sgt.Squirmitz~ is offline ~Sgt.Squirmitz~

I don't give a fart 'bout zat. I ain't gonna be alive anymore when the world ends.

~Semper Stupidus~

Old 08-03-2006, 07:17 AM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

world could end at any minute u know, only 3% of the skies is monitored for asteroids and meteorites..

humans have the ability to pick up things whenever nearly all hope is lost, so we should be ok unless there is an asteroid..

we r very good at adapting to changes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 AM
bigsmellyfart is offline bigsmellyfart

the answer is in with the birds and the bee's
14TB 7200 rpm HDD
LG 16x blue ray R/W Drive
-----------------------------------

CHEVRON 7 Unlocked
Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Quote:
Originally posted by bigsmellyfart
the answer is in with the birds and the bee's
rofl

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
the wars and use of weapon type the human race will kill each other besides the wild life with them as will. only spider's and bugs be around like ants and stink bugs.

it will take the planet earth 10.000yrs to recover from the bullcrap that is going on.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

all we can do is prepair for the worst and hope for the best.
i dont know if i will survive or if any1 will survive but i owe it to my family and to myself to atleast try.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

thats what i think we should do! Go star wars style and colonize planets. Sounds like fun! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Blade is offline Blade

Send a message via ICQ to Blade
some off the posts in hear really do make u depreseed lol any one got a gun i can get a lone off.

Its not about dieing for your country... Its about makeing your enemies die for theres.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Sen is offline Sen
OG

Cue the cheesy "armageddon-style" movies. Ultimately, we could be our own end. It is us that may decide the fate of life on Earth. It could go in 4 ways- "Siege of The "Missiles,"(Cold War II) "The Outbreak,"(SARS or avian flu epidemic) "Red Sky," (meteor impact), or, as I like to call it, "March To Death"(imperialism swallows the world). There's your "deep thinker."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrumSalad View Post
@Sen: your avatar creeps the hell outta me