Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:25 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Pentagon creating student database

Recruiting tool for military raises privacy concerns

By Jonathan Krim

Updated: 2:03 a.m. ET June 23, 2005

WASHINGTON - The Defense Department began working yesterday with a private marketing firm to create a database of high school students ages 16 to 18 and all college students to help the military identify potential recruits in a time of dwindling enlistment in some branches.

Read on ...

================

Uh huh! Hide your kids! Uncle Same is coming to your doorstep soon!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
I think it's great. Every kid should spend at least 2 years active duty in any branch of our Armed Services.

••• 26th MEUSOC 940311 93-95MySpace •••
Old 06-23-2005, 09:30 AM
score is offline score

Send a message via ICQ to score
pfff troj yeah right
some of us have other plans for our lives

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein
I tell the truth even w`en I lie. - Al Pacino, Scarface
-
------------------------------

only the good die young
Old 06-23-2005, 09:38 AM

They probably already have all the data. They just need to run some queries to filter it out.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Send a message via ICQ to Trojan Send a message via AIM to Trojan Send a message via Yahoo to Trojan
Quote:
Originally posted by score
pfff troj yeah right
some of us have other plans for our lives
It is a life altering experience. It's better than College as far as I'm concerned. You learn alot more than just text from a book you'll never use again in your life.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:58 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
I think it's great. Every kid should spend at least 2 years active duty in any branch of our Armed Services.
Now that would not be a bad idea for some kids at least Troj. It would certainly broaden their horizons and give them skills that could be put to good use in later life such as working as part of a team.

Warm Regards
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BADDOG
Now that would not be a bad idea for some kids at least Troj. It would certainly broaden their horizons and give them skills that could be put to good use in later life such as working as part of a team.

Warm Regards
Yeah, IF they come back in one piece and have a sane mind.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Liberal College Professors do more damage to ones mind than Drill Instructors imo.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
Liberal College Professors do more damage to ones mind than Drill Instructors imo.
I'm not saying Military life is bad. All I'm saying is it's not for everyone.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

I agree DD but I amm Pro Military as you can tell. If I were to do it again I would be a lifer. At Parris Island in the Spring of 1993. We started out with 75 recruits and only graduated 45 Marines. We actually had a kid cry for his mother and sent home. The rest, some bigger and stronger than I was back then couldn't hang.

I'm also not saying College is bad. But you need to know when you are learning and by whom you are being taught. Specialize in something that your mind wont be twisted into believing something you shouldn't, hence liberalism. I know it's a choice and I am sometimes liberal about things but when I teach, I lean towards conservatism and lead the people being taught to form their own views.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
i agree with trojan 100% military should be a must for 2 years right after high school. but if u cab't make it through basic they would get yea out cuz even though i think most should server there are some that don't belong

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 06-23-2005, 12:13 PM

Personally, I think no one should be FORCED to do anything they don't want to.

Each human has a purpose in life. Some are brought up with the sole notion to join the military others are brought up to doctors, engineers, and lawyers. It's just like breading animals. Some are brought up for looks others for their ferocity. You see what I mean?

Personally, I'm for some kind of civil defence training, but it has to be voluntary.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog#1
Personally, I think no one should be FORCED to do anything they don't want to.

Each human has a purpose in life. Some are brought up with the sole notion to join the military others are brought up to doctors, engineers, and lawyers. It's just like breading animals. Some are brought up for looks others for their ferocity. You see what I mean?

Personally, I'm for some kind of civil defence training, but it has to be voluntary.
It's a system DD. In this day and age, Military Doctors, Engineers and Lawyers are more respected than non Military. You can do all of that through the Military. And by doing so, you've learned Civil Defense and lessons you just can't get by going to College for 4 years and get an entry level job in any position. The Military will pay for your career even if it's not a lifetime goal to retire a Military Veteran. Use the system people. Better yourself. If you don't think you can do it and you do? You'll feel as if you can do anything you set your mind to and most of all? you can!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:30 PM

I know where you coming from bud, but it's not meant for me. I'm happy doing my bit in life, breaking other people's software

Quote:
Old 06-23-2005, 12:38 PM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh but not.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
score is offline score

Send a message via ICQ to score
Things that make you go "bluhhhhhh"
-Ron White

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein
I tell the truth even w`en I lie. - Al Pacino, Scarface
-
------------------------------

only the good die young
Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Hehe, I was walking to school one day and I saw these two marines.

I put my head down and started walking fast...

They stopped me and wanted to set up an appointment so they could talk to me.

I told them that I couldn't fit it into my schedule. I would get called every few weeks by the army.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

It's true there are risks probably greater risks in being in the military but, there are risks in every day life and 9/11 has shown us that you don't have to be a soldier to be in the front line, in fact that's been true since world war 1.

I too like Trojan am very pro military and we should all be greatful that their are those dedicated young men and women who do join up and put their lives on the line for our freedom and to defend our way of life.

Being a soldier builds character and gives a person a true sense of identity and shared comradeship that is rarely if ever found in civilian life. Of course the military is not for everyone but for those who choose it and the risks that go with it, it can be a very rewarding life experience.

Warm Regards
Old 06-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Trojan is offline Trojan
honest toil

Quote:
Originally posted by BADDOG
It's true there are risks probably greater risks in being in the military but, there are risks in every day life and 9/11 has shown us that you don't have to be a soldier to be in the front line, in fact that's been true since world war 1.

I too like Trojan am very pro military and we should all be greatful that their are those dedicated young men and women who do join up and put their lives on the line for our freedom and to defend our way of life.

Being a soldier builds character and gives a person a true sense of identity and shared comradeship that is rarely if ever found in civilian life. Of course the military is not for everyone but for those who choose it and the risks that go with it, it can be a very rewarding life experience.

Warm Regards
Amen brother BADDOG.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:33 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

Words from my heart bro and those of us that have been there no only to well how valuable the lessons learned in the armed forces and the warmth of that comradeship we share never leave us.

Warmest Regards as always