Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 11-25-2002, 07:21 AM
acemark41 is offline acemark41

Confused Mr Lag comes to town?

Hi folks, I was just a reading a post somewhere else and it made me stop and think (Ouch!!). If I understood what was being said, unlikely, it seems that with a fast connection speed the information sent is recieved by the other player, faster than you recieve the information from him/her. The other, slower, players are harder to kill?? because of lag as a result, while the fast connected player dies a LOT more easily because he/she isn't lagging to the other player? Does this make sense??? I was playing a while back and there was this guy who was impossible to kill, everyone was calling him a cheat etc etc, and he claimed that he wasn't cheating but WAS using an old 28k modem, so that would , kinda, back up what I said up there, wouldn't it?? Anyway, I'm on dsl and, I think, my game has improved since getting it (i do STILL get accused of lagging tho' ) but I wouldn't mind som e of that T1 action Anyway, happy gaming folks, C U
Old 11-25-2002, 07:35 AM
Cathar is offline Cathar

Send a message via ICQ to Cathar
It does seem to make sense, when people are lagging you need to aim slightly more in front that you normally would, but if people don't realise this can sometimes cause people to start shouting cheat. Also if ppl are laggin loads, they tend to jump about the screen abit, which is really annoying, but a good nade soon sorts em out.

Quote:
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 11-25-2002, 08:04 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i agree with what u said guys

recently i was in a server where some guy started moaning about 1 player being hard to kill, but seeing as it was a squad server and th elagger was on that squad he got royally bashed lol. but he stuck up for hmself making the server a big mess really.

it was definatley noticable that this dude was hard to kill seeing as even if he was running in a straight line towards me and the blood was spraying off it still would take maybe 1 1/2 2 + seconds for him to drop rather then the usual 1/4 1/2 second.

but hey i know he was lagging but it's not worth complaining about! DEAL WITH IT LOL. geez these guys were a pain in the a$$.

i mean ok, hes got a modem and hard to kill - end of story IMO. but there was no need for the comeback from the squad either.

it's like discrimination, people with slow conn shouldn't play the game!! wtf? lolol

so anyway at the end of the game this dude had a decent set of kills and a whole truck load of deaths. 1 of his squad members piped up at the start of the next game "lol how can he be a lagger when he has a lot more deaths than kills?" but which, IMO proves he was lagging becase although it was hard to kill him, it was even harder for him to kill the ppl with faster conn.

if people only used their brain b4 they typed huh?
Old 11-25-2002, 08:13 AM

I hear THAT! I was getting the "connection interrupted" message the other day, so I asked if anyone else was getting the message and some jerk typed that he was "getting a message that you suck". I was a little annoyed by that but there you go, lol. anyway I still kicked his arse, then he came back after a while with a new name "acemark's a fag" if I remember correctly, LOL what fun?
Old 11-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Cathar is offline Cathar

Send a message via ICQ to Cathar
Yea its fun kickin some1's ass just after they've insulted you, in fact i usually go on a mission just to kill that guy, its so fun, hehe.

I don't have any problem with 56ker's because i know faster con's i.e. cable & DSL aren't availible everywhere (this is uk i'm talkin about here) and as i've only just recently got DSL i know how hard it is on a 56k to get a decent score, and it is really irritating when you get abusive stuff, and cheat being called out. Thing is though the people that complain will complain about anything, so even if they aren't playing a 56ker or as acemark has said even a 28ker!!! they will still whinge and whine, they could all do with a slap round the head and get on with shootin ppl.

Ahh well i'm just gettin in the whingin and whinin mode about ppl who whinge and whine so gonna shut up now

Quote:
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 11-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Lag is part of the game, always will be. Just need to adjust to it.

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 11-26-2002, 12:29 AM
HD135 is offline HD135

Acemark41 you are not alone. The lag thing has been explained to me several times but has yet to fully sink in.

It 's not unusual for the best person playing to also have a very fast connection and the fewest deaths. Stevie B. mentioned the guy that took 1 1/2 sec to die. Slow connected players aren't too hard to pick out. But I've played against others that are both hard to kill and fast. How that fits into the explanation given is still unclear to me.
Given 2 players with the same skill level you'd have to give the edge to the player with the fastest connection.
The quality of a persons video card must play large part in the processing of information. Wouldn't that also affect the dynamics of play as well as what we see taking place on the screen? Having recently purchased a new computer I'd say it has alot to do with it. Using the same internet connection as before, my performance has improved 35% (a subjective observation). No lie. The obvious retort would be that I had a lousy first computer. That of course may be the case though I felt at least competitive with it.
Having heard my share of accusations I'm slow to make any remark that infers cheating on the part of others. This internet stuff has a whole lot of variables that affect how the game plays out.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:12 AM
cR4zY is offline cR4zY

i have gone from 56k to 2.5 megs... and there is no difference , i still haveto adjust my aim by a few meters ahead

Old 11-26-2002, 08:02 AM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
When I went from 56k to 1meg I suddenly was able to kill people.
Maybe I never got used to 56k cos we have a modem squad member who is absolutley awesome. Real pain in the ass.

I was playing in a server once where a guy accused me of cheating because I dared to come into a server where he was previously top dog.

Most of the rest were n00bys and he was only average. Im no l33t but to have some fun I offered an explanation of what I was going to allow his score to be before I won the map (75 kill max score). I managed to end the map within about 5 points of what I predicted.
Then I told him I wouldnt win the map until I was sure he would come 3rd. Next map, I presented myself to one of the other playes over and over, stopping only to kill the guy who was moaning. Sure enough he came third.

Next map, he wasn't in the server
I don't think he was having fun. Its a damn shame. The thing that was weird was that some guys were getting 6 - 45 kill/deaths and they just puddled on, trying to learn how to play and have fun. This guy went nuts just because I was beating him. Bless.
I love getting beat by a superior player because it keeps you fresh. If its too easy to kill you just end up complacent and running around using samey tactics everytime.

Old 11-26-2002, 09:22 AM

Hi all, LOL, some GREAT comments above, don't you just LOVE this game? I said once (somewhere else)
that DFLW is the best m/p game I know and I stand by that, one of the things I enjoy about it is the banter. Few other games have people chatting as much while playing as the DF series, do they?? The downside is tho', you get a fair amount of complaining/accusation etc etc. Having said that, old Mr lag CAN and DOES cause a lot of frustration which we ALL have to deal with, huh? Anyway since I got adsl I don't seem to get as much lag and my game has improved (a little) So I'm happy, at least. Cheers for your excellent comments, happy DF'ing, see you.