Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 AM
mcs1cip is offline mcs1cip

Angry unconcludence about DF2

In most of the time when I play a map, whether is from the package included in the game [from Novalogic] or custom, the game freezes permanently and can be stopped only by killing process.

Can anyone tell me what happens and why, and if, or how to fix this...???

PS:I have Installed mods: TXP1+EXP2b
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Unfortunately, this is a recurring problem for most players. The mods you have installed have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure anyone has completely debunked the cause, but it's most likely a problem with how the engine renders the graphics.

There are a few urban myths you can try to reduce the freezing, but I'm not sure any of them truly work:

- Right click on the DF2.exe shortcut, choose properties, click the compatibility tab, and choose "Run in compatibility mode for: Windows XP" (you can also choose Windows 98).

- Download this utility, then update the game and apply the Vista Fix (you'll need to register on their site before viewing the thread): http://www.thegoodoldays.com/forumcg...8717398/s-new/

- Try sticking with the 800x600 or 640x480 (<-- preferred) resolutions. I've found that higher resolutions cause freezing MUCH more frequently.

Even after these fixes, you're probably guaranteed a freeze or three if you play 2+ hours. It's a fact of life we DF2'ers have been forced to accept.

P.S.: Alternatively, you could try buying a Windows 98 machine and running it on that. I don't remember freezing any in those days.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post

P.S.: Alternatively, you could try buying a Windows 98 machine and running it on that. I don't remember freezing any in those days.
LOL yeah a friend of a friend was tossing out their old Windows 98 machine and I snatched it to use for dedicated old school gaming. It was well taken after as it has no file system errors, boots quickly, and supports RJ45 ethernet cards for online play! I'm not tossing this thing out ever, I gotta play those old games.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Run it (the game) in a Win98 virtual machine using an extremely high end PC and watch it shine!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
Heh.

It was ages ago that I played DF2 on a 98 machine, so I'm not actually sure if I froze back then or not. Perhaps some wise geezers here can provide insight?