Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
Radio to Kill to

What would you guys think of a 1-2 hour online broadcast of music, with a little talking in-between, but a request driven radio stream? If not a stream, what about several downloadable segments? Or just not at all?

I'm just doing a little market research I've had the idea for a while now, and after figuring out a few things thought I'd see what y'all thought. Who knows? I might even be able to get some paid ads or something
Old 03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Tried it two years back. Gave up on the idea. GL bud!

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Well, we tried the idea of our own Radio Station/Network on WinAMP, but that never lifted off the ground. What do you have in mind for the broadcast software? What program(s) will it run on? When will it run? Will it cost NovaHQ anything?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Shoutcast is what I was thinking about using, though they only suggest using win amp to listen to (on a pc system anyway). When? Hmm, I thought maybe 6 or 7, but really any hour makes it hard for some people, which is why I'd make the broadcast available in recorded segments for anyone who really wants to listen.

No, this has nothing to do with NHQ, except that I'd probably have a link to it in my sig, and if I actually made anything from ads (which I highly doubt), I'd donate the proceeds to Panther and NHQ.

EDIT: Missed a word, lol.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Bullet
Shoutcast is what I was thinking about using, though they only suggest using win amp to listen to (on a pc system anyway). When? Hmm, I thought maybe 6 or 7, but really any hour makes it hard for some people, which is why I'd make the broadcast available in recorded segments for anyone who really wants to listen.

No, this has nothing to do with NHQ, except that I'd probably have a link to it in my sig, and if I actually made anything from ads (which I highly doubt), I'd donate the proceeds to Panther and NHQ.

EDIT: Missed a word, lol.
Good idea. Pretty much what I tried with Shoutcast.

Music copyright will be a major hinderance. Not discouraging you or anything but just letting you know what's to come.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the forewarning. I am checking into that as well
Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM

Ok, I just checked into the legality, and the only legal way to do it would be to just save the broadcasts and allow people to play them, but not download. As long as I'm not handing you the file to play at will on your own box, I'm good.

What I may do in the beginning is just record some stuff, then if I get enough people interested after say, 2 weeks, then I'll do the stream.

If anything, it'll just be something I can say "I did it".
Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
EDGE is offline EDGE

Send a message via ICQ to EDGE Send a message via AIM to EDGE Send a message via Yahoo to EDGE
Okay, sounds good. You could possibly turn it into a radio station. Get your own DJ's, live talkshows, interviews, everything. There was this one setup that fragradio.com had where whoever was in a certain channel in Teamspeak, they would be on the air. Like, if there was an interview going on, they would bring that person down to that channel in TS and have them do the interview from there instead of doing that other complicated thing with the PC connect or whatever it's called.

I'll see if I can talk to Pony and see if he can let us know what he did in order to do that.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:41 PM

That would be great, thanks!

EDIT: I've gotta hurry up and get some extra money so I can buy a new hard drive...what I've got now won't cut it for this If anyone just happens to have a 40+ gig sata just lying around...
Old 03-02-2005, 02:41 PM

You can always intice NovaLogic with Interview opportunity and direct connection with the fans

Quote:
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Who knows? They just might, lol. Like the paid ads, I highly doubt it, but who knows? If I could get a regular listener base of 50, I'd be happy For Nova to be even mildly interested, I'd have to have a far bigger amount of listeners, though I won't hazard a guess.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Who do you plan to run the operation? Bandwidth will an issue too.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2005, 03:23 PM

I'm going to try it out on my internet. If that doesn't work out, I'll make some inquiries
Old 03-02-2005, 03:26 PM

Max I did on 2MB was 12-15 people. Just something to keep in mind

Quote:
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Well, I checked into it, and I might be able to sqeeze by, but I'm not sure. I only get 10 gigs a month upload :/

Anyhow, I was just wondering what the response would be. If there really isn't a response, I won't waste time
Old 03-02-2005, 04:23 PM
.enfo. is offline .enfo.

Send a message via ICQ to .enfo.
most popular online radio in the df community is nstorm, the a tin of used to be good a while ago, then i think they lost everything, just like most poeople who try it, mostly squads, but this one has been going for a while and still popular, got some good dj's with some good songs
gl tho

Supporter > < Supporter
Quote:
Originally posted by A TIN OF GAS
enfo... u suck!

p.s. love ya really enfo
Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
JonM is offline JonM

on your internet, well it might possilby work but i would suggest purchasing a dedicated server with atleast 1000 gigs of bandwidth for this , good luck, let's see if there's a good luck smiley :gl:
Old 03-03-2005, 11:42 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Cool

What ever you decide to do bro I wish you all the very best!!!!

Regards
Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

It would be pretty expensive simply because anyone that connects has to download the song.. if each song is about 3mb and 100 people all are listening at once thats 300mb of bandwith for about a 4 minute song..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 PM
CMcGee is offline CMcGee

Regarding FragRadio & Talkshow,
Appologies to get off topic here. But, I am the DJ that was intended to do a talkshow for NovaHQ.net

Yet, it didn't lift off the ground.
At the moment, I am going through some computer issues, my motherboard quit on me. Which disables my rights to continue a talkshow and a smooth, and consistent pace.

I had no sound, which means I couldn't hear if the song I was playing was an actual song, or a recording of something else. But, again, I do appologize for the inconvience. Dr. Bullet, if it goes through, its a fun and exciting experience, which im sure you know, and good luck.

Regards,
CMcGee
FragRadio.com
Inactive DJ on Rest