Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:20 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Plain Would you prefer online courses?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/01....ap/index.html

After reading this I wondered how many of you here at NovaHQ would prefer to take an online course rather than attend college?

Warm Regards
Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
not really sure, i think ppl would think "cool i dont have to go to college i can be lazy and stay at home all day and not do anyting"

it could go either way, it would probably be harder to actually to the work because there is not set routine and you are not 'made' to do things.

but of course that doesnt work for everyone.

hopefully i'll be doiing some MCP qualifications this year (Microsoft Certified Professional ), which will be done online, so i will let you know how i found it compaired to, school, college, university ):
Old 01-14-2006, 09:51 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

What it all comes down to is how well do you do with books. Lot of time you'll have questions which a teacher or someone on that kinda of position can answer. Other times saying at home is good.

I've take all sort of courses. Long Distance, online, regular in class lecture, live online. You name it I've done it.

So, if you can learn on your own and then take a exam that's economic way of doing thing. However, if you have questions and need some guidance you'll need to take a course which is instructor led. Besides, in the instructor led classes you can network more and who knows you might end up getting a new job at your class fellow's company.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 AM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
when im old enough to go to college im going to college becuase you can meet some new people and get new freinds...

Old 01-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I'm taking both online and in-class courses and the online ones can be trickey if you don't learn well from books.. I took a stratigies class and passed easily online but atm I am taking College Math 1 online and it really really blows.. It's hard as hell if you never learned that kind of math or haven't done it in a long time. It's nice sometimes to just be able to ask the instructor a question and get a quick answer rather then opening a book to find it..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
i would rather go somewhere to do classes. I am not a very stronge reader so i sometimes do not know what exacly i am reading from time to time. So a teacher is good for questions, explain things ect. Plus you can meet new people and depending on if you are going to a community collage or 4 year school, parties!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 01-15-2006, 04:13 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
I'm taking both online and in-class courses and the online ones can be trickey if you don't learn well from books.. I took a stratigies class and passed easily online but atm I am taking College Math 1 online and it really really blows.. It's hard as hell if you never learned that kind of math or haven't done it in a long time. It's nice sometimes to just be able to ask the instructor a question and get a quick answer rather then opening a book to find it..
I can see why attending a college, (as I did), would be of more benefit to a student when I read your second paragraph Scott. Asking a tutor when you have a difficult problem to deal with is probably better than being in isolation sat in front of a pc screen.

Warm Regards
Old 01-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Capers is offline Capers

Another benefit to attending a college or university over doing online courses is the social aspect. Attending classes with other students and spending time with them out of lessons helps people develop social skills (as well as drinking and partying skills ), which can be just as important in the world of work as qualifications.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 AM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Capers
Another benefit to attending a college or university over doing online courses is the social aspect. Attending classes with other students and spending time with them out of lessons helps people develop social skills (as well as drinking and partying skills ), which can be just as important in the world of work as qualifications.
Tht'a fair comment bro as developing social skills is some thing we all need to do. I guess the online course could also involve some kind of social interaction with all the chat programmes now available and of course for those who have physical problems I would think online studies would be a big help.

Regards