Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

View Poll Results: can a large % of viruses destroy a home computer?
yes 7 43.75%
no 7 43.75%
don't know 2 12.50%
what was the question? 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2005, 05:38 PM
KU43 is offline KU43

Virus?

I might not know what I'm talking about, but that has never stopped me before. I've had a computer virus, more than once and it has never realy done any damaged. I've had to reformatt my hard drive a few times but I do that every once in a while anyway. If I were running a big server I could see it being a big problem, but just for the little guy I think it's just a small inconvenyence (probably spelled wrong).Do you think all this anti-virus stuff is just a big hype to make a few companys rich? Or do you think you should close all your ports and surf the net in fear?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Most of the viruses that are a pain in the arse, are the ones that install, and download other viruses, and then they download viruses, on and on..

I myself have not really gotten many virues, wether I use anti-virus or not. I have had nortons installed for awhile now and it's only poped up once saying it needed to update because I hadent done it in a long time, still I seem to run a extremly stable computer.

I have though, gotten spyware, but's it's never been a problem for me to completly remove. And most of the time it's not real spyware, it's just a cookie. It's IE's fault everyone gets so much spyware, if you use firefox your chances go from 90% to .5% when web browsing because firefox (Unlike IE) and still function if you disable auto downloading. I only use IE for sites I know are clean.

Now if you download programs all the time, thats your fault if you get alot spyware / viruses. I don't see how I have 0 spywares, 0 viruses on my computer for months but when I go to my girlfriends house shes got 1000 new cases of it. And shes running Nortons and Anti-Spyware programs.

If you have a router, most likely you do not need a firewall like zone alarm. I just use it from keeping certain programs from 'calling back home'.

So in my conclusion, which is my own personl opinion! I think if you have some common sence you can stay away from MOST spyware and viruses.

I think that all the hype is strong only because people are under educated in general computing. The people these companys attract make it seem like they will die if they don't have 100 programs trying to block everything, when there is no real program out there that blocks anything new anyways. That's the big problem.. You can be 100% protected, untill something new comes out, then your 100% fu^*&%.

Anyways I could ramble all day about this kinda stuff..

To answer your question, no. Most are just annoying.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 02-13-2005, 06:29 PM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
i have never got a virus i dont think. (knock on wood) Ive had many sent to me but never infected or messed up anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
i have gotten a lot of viruses the worst one is them downloaders virus were they download update worms into your system and are a pain in the neck to remove and edited the register to remove all of it.

Yes it a hype if you don't think these virus are real at all. then you asking for it, same for firewalls you have to have them both or one day a virus will take that computer and trash it totally. only a fool don't have safe guards to cover their money they dish out for thier system. OMG stay away from any P2P programs they are loaded with Viruse's to the MAX.

top one in my book is www.avast.com anti-virus program it cover everthing and it do a boot scan toboot sweet for windows 2000,Xp-family, 2003 it do a lot other don't even do.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 02-14-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Mr. T is offline Mr. T

I agree that most of the virus stuff is scare tactic and hype. I've never run any anti-virus software and have never been infected. We're behind a router and we use Zone Alarm (the free edition). I don't download much of anything and I don't open attachments from anyone unless it's a JPG. My mail comes through Yahoo and they do a pretty good job of 'sifting' for bombs.

Now, having been in computers since 1986, I think I've got some knowledge of the beast. My in-laws, on the other hand, have been hit many times because they have no clue and download all sorts of crap and open anything that comes to them because they can't tell the difference between spam and an email from their best friends. We've bailed them out a dozen times. I never open anything they send me (ha).

I think if you're careful you can get by just fine by personally screening anything that comes in the mail.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
most ppl voted yes!?

even the worse case would be you would have to low level format, then things are back as normal.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:45 AM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
just watch what u DL. Only DL things of websites u trust and dont open links from ppl u dont know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 02-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Mr. T is offline Mr. T

That's pretty much it, TJ. A little common sense goes a long way when it comes to this stuff.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM
~MOUSE~ is offline ~MOUSE~

Please click this LINK

Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
lol that's pretty cool, even makes the a: drive seek
Old 02-14-2005, 10:45 AM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Quote:
Originally posted by ~MOUSE~
Please click this LINK
lmao nice 1
Old 02-14-2005, 11:41 AM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Virus scanners are not over hyped money making scams.
They are useful tools that used properly assist a PC user to continue utilising the internet with confidence.
I have rarley had a virus. Once a little bugger from kazzar and that nasty sasser worm got me me twice before it was even advertised as a new problem.
I was able to remove that virus myself and so when the patch came out to stop re-infection I was ready.
At that time I didn't have an anti-virus and in that case it is unlikley to have helped because no one knew about it until a lot of people got it on the same day I did.

If you are unlucky enough to get a virus before the anti-virus people have figured out a counter to it then your anti-virus program won't make any difference.
In my case the sasser virus altered some key system files and my system guard alerted me with enough information to track the problem and down and remove it.
It did mean going into the registry and deleting files though. Something I can do because I am reasonably confident in what I am doing once there. You can seriously screw your machine if you do that wrong though and here, once detected, a good anti-virus program saves a LOT of hassle.

There are viruses around that can clear your BIOS and corrupt your Harddrive rendering a PC very difficult to salvage but these are few and far between as they are difficult to program and will throw a hacker in jail without a key if he is caught.

Most problematic viruses are nusiance codes.
A virus can run for a long time undetected and dependent on its function can seriously impair your PCs function.
Some viruses can hog system resources, others can suck up your bandwidth, others can give outside hackers access to your PC regardless of your firewall.
All of these problems are unlikley to 'destroy' your PC but would make it very difficult to maintain a healthy OS environment and can seriously SLOW you down.

People who dont get viruses often have one major thing over people who don't and that is simply internet sense.
They know you don't click YES if some pop-up invites you to click-to-download something. They know you don't download and open files that have *.exe extensions unless you are certain you know what it is you are getting and if they DO download something, they scan it with their anti-virus tool before opening it.

Anti-virus, like anti-spyware is a convenience tool that assists a savvy user to maintain his PCs functional health.
It is NOT useful as a guarantee against carless surfing and reckless downloading.

As it happens, not all virus scanners are expensive. There is one superb tool that I have used on many occasions to rid n00b friends of the horros of unchecked surfing and it is here.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's online, it's free and its thorough. It's also up-to-date.
Give it a go.
If it finds any quantity of viruses on your machine then it will clear them right up, increase your system efficiency as a consequence and be the first REAL advice as to the question, 'Should I invest in a virus scanner?'

If this online fella finds crap in your system then you are not ready to surf without one.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:32 PM
BADDOG is offline BADDOG
resigned

That is a very useful item ZZA, thanks for the tip!!!!

Regards
Old 02-18-2005, 01:46 AM
KU43 is offline KU43

thanks Z my puter is good 2 go.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 AM
General Nuisance is offline General Nuisance

Send a message via ICQ to General Nuisance
i use sygate personal firewall pro and AVG Free on my network (5 pc's) and i have not had a problem AVG free found a few viruses Norton Anti-virus didnt! and i'd rather save the 40 bucks for new DF game!

i also recommend that you but a small router that has a built in hardware firewall like Dlinks DI-604 (the one i have) its cheap and if somone tries to hack they get the router not your pc! it does not keep your pc from getting hacked but does make it alot harder.

http://youraite.yourhost.yourusername.com - long urls
-looks bad
-who can remember it?
- Solution?
- Get a short Nova-Zone subdomain! Yoursite.nova-zone.com
- Now thats smart. just ask for one via pm,email or contact page on site.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Dr. Bullet is offline Dr. Bullet

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bullet
I said yes because, although most in this forum probably know how to surf with common sense, the regular user doesn't. Believe me, if viruses weren't a problem for the general user (which makes up a huge majority of users), I would be out of a job

Many viruses and spyware in themselves aren't dangerous. What makes them dangerous is people who have no idea what they're doing, so they completely wipe out everything.

Like the rest of you, I hardly ever hit a bump in the road. I use Zone Alarm mainly for keeping certain programs from calling home ( ), and certain people who would directly attack me, which happens every once in a while.

This could be debated forever, but remember this: if viruses weren't such a problem, there would be no way Best Buy could charge over $100 for removal of said viruses.