Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
Personal Opinion

On technology and the effects it has on people.

Do you think that the computer age has had more bad effects on people than good?

ex. In my opinion people have gotten more and more lazy every year because of the ease in which some things have become due to technology.

I can't remember the last time I wrote anything other than my signature.

then you have all this new Leet talk online that has some people forgetting how to spell words the right way or writing them on term papers because they forget it's not proper.

Just thought it would be a good topic to talk about seeing that most people here use technology a lot.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 08-11-2007, 12:01 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
Re: Personal Opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Killerbee
ex. In my opinion people have gotten more and more lazy every year because of the ease in which some things have become due to technology.

I can't remember the last time I wrote anything other than my signature.
i agree with the lazy part 100%, but no offense to anyone that is older but my parents always say that we are the lazy generation and i always say that if they had this technology they would be the same and they always say no, what do you guys think??

and yea the last thing i wrote was my application to get a parking pass for college lol

Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 PM
tail_gunner is offline tail_gunner

I think it makes us lazy as you said kb, people need to go outside and go fishing, play some football, lift weights do somthing besides sitting inside and killing your eyes. But it also has its perks, we can communicate with people in iraq (hint hint) Which was unheard of when my grandfather was in the war back in the day. It helps save lives unlike in the past, they bought have bads and goods!

Twins, i asked 1, she said no so i asked her sister... And the siter said yes.. HAHA revenge!

and the rest.. well thats a mature story, but in the end i had both of them...
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
on one side it help the disable people to get a new life and live again.

on the other hand it making killing so easy.

personnel use computer or technology make it easy to ripoff the others and at the same time, kill real joy in getting along with your brothers and sisters of mankind not enjoying out door things. sports, games, doing things around with family.

the computer has become a prison to other, there more hanging in the computer's world then the joy of life outside
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

i think its a really bad thing... because when computers crash or power cuts etc.. all hell breaks loose... money gets lost.. in extreme cases a computer screw up can mean the difference btween life and death..
Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 PM
ShArP is offline ShArP

Send a message via ICQ to ShArP Send a message via AIM to ShArP Send a message via MSN to ShArP
Quote:
Originally posted by tail_gunner
I think it makes us lazy as you said kb, people need to go outside and go fishing, play some football, lift weights do somthing besides sitting inside and killing your eyes. But it also has its perks, we can communicate with people in iraq (hint hint) Which was unheard of when my grandfather was in the war back in the day. It helps save lives unlike in the past, they bought have bads and goods!
well i used to play football before i graduated this in from high school but i still lift weights so im still doing some old school things...

Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Technology is like a knife ... It's up to you to decide to if you want to use it to cut a steak or stab someone with it.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
Re: Personal Opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Killerbee
then you have all this new Leet talk online that has some people forgetting how to spell words the right way or writing them on term papers because they forget it's not proper.
I actually hate that a bit.

Words like u or Imao, etc. don't mind me, but some of the stuff that's used in txt... god...

Like for example, stuff like:
wt u bn up2

OR...:
hw dos dat wrk

Technology never has a totally good side. There will be a side that'll cause others pain. My 2 cents.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
IMO, this technology has gotten so out of control it is rediculas. This might seem hyprocritical of me because I spent so much time playing games and such. But basically this is what I think.

I am not sure how many older people we have here on these forums, i know chief is an older guy but idk how old. But anyways, how many people in the 60s and 70s and even 80s have you heard of not going out on a date on a friday night? Or shutting out their friends to stay inside? As far as i know, Slime to none. Now-a-days, kids put off their friends, family, and everything else in their lives to sit inside and play games. They basically have two lives, a virtual and acual. And I am not going to beat around the bush, I used to be one of them. I would sit in on weeknights and weekends to play WoW with other people I have never met, I just know there voice. My grades went down, my friends stopped calling, and my family acually stopped asking me to go out to dinner and such. Not joking. I have gotten out of gaming and I do not give a crap about any games or anything anymore. As I have grown some, I have realized that it is just a game, stop wasting your life. Because that is just what I was going.

Technology has been a good thing and bad, it has stopped a lot of crime but also increased it. Never heard of hackers can now hack into people's checking and savings account, stealing millinos. But the databases over the internet and the overwhelming amount of information out there now has stopped a lot of crime and helped bring a person, group or anything like that to justice.

I totally agree, this is the lazy generation, but it is not all our fault, I blame some on the parents. We were introduced to this technology at a young age and it should have been limited at the beginning and we should have been lectured about it from the start. We should of been introduced to the technology part, then also the manual part. Example: Kids in their highschool years do not know how to solve simple problems without a calculator, they do not know their multiplication tables, key things they should know.

Our generation is way to reliable on computers and technology. If our cell phones go out, no one has any idea how to communicate. If you guys think back, the things we consider a necessity, we did not have a decade ago. 10-15 years ago, no one had a cell phone, we did just fine without it. If register goes out at walmart, that employee does not know how to get a basic calculator, or even pen and paper, and they do not know how to add all the items price and tax. I laugh when I see this, it is sad, in my opinion.

There is also a lot more I can say about this but my fingers are getting tired and I am messing up a lot typing lol. Been typing too much. I am not an anti tech guy at all. I really do love technology and how it can HELP our world. The way people are relying on it, and changing because of it, it is almost a turnoff. New technology will always be coming out, thats inevitable. But everyone needs a wakeup call.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 08-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Yeah, technology is definitely making us stupider. Things are becoming more automated and easy. Internet is turning people into demented morons who keep abreviating everything and shorting their speech down AND using a crap laod of emoticons. Future isn't looking good for our species.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Matt is offline Matt

Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Technology is a bad thing if it is abused, I for one love electronics but I barely spend any time behind the keyboard anymore. I'm extremely active play sports go to the gym 5 days a week. Technology is an amazing thing when you are in school, all the information you need is within a click of the mouse and its a lot easier to type a 10 page report than hand write it.

Click here for the official member status images!

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther
For your sence of free speech, we will control how much you have here .
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
fak i clicked it to lol.

the message "this will disable it" should have been put before

sorry
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
teej is offline teej

Send a message via ICQ to teej Send a message via AIM to teej Send a message via Yahoo to teej
Quote:
Originally posted by tril0gy
Technology is a bad thing if it is abused
yeah all that **** i wrote above, your quote basically breaks the whole thing down.

You the man.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
ok, now that we are all a little dumber for reading that, back to how much IE is better than any other browser
Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 AM
JonM is offline JonM

I think that technology is like insomnia and tril pointed out, a bad thing if it's abused. I used to play World of Warcraft more than I'd hang out. I had some friends in real life that played it, sure. But what the hell? I rarely hung out with them, and when I did our conversations revolved around WoW.

Fact of the matter is, to many kids are dumb. I have to many friends that suck at math, and math is hard, but I mean their so used to the calculator or the computer to do the work for them that when it comes time to write it out they can't.

Lately I've spent less and less time on the computer, and none of it is for gaming anymore. Now when I'm on the computer it's do something productive. I've been working on typing out everything I write, and using better grammar. Technology is great if we're willing to not take it to far. Why do we need L33t speak? Why do we need abbreviations for things such as "got to go" and "talk to you later"? It's ridiculous.

I'm a hypocrite, because I'm not perfect. All in all I think that parents need to step on the younger kids now, so they don't get sucked in as my generation kinda is.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
JonM! That's why I haven't seen you in ages! I thought you got grounded from the computer for ages or something... Don't ask me why... lol.

There's this Vodafone ad on TV (mobile phone provider) and it was talking about how technology is rising and humourisly saying that one day we'll be communicating in acronyms (talking, not through stuff like phones)... Ha.

Chris
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

"then you have all this new Leet talk online that has some people forgetting how to spell words the right way or writing them on term papers because they forget it's not proper."

Agree fully! Not that my spelling is good but I atleast know how "the" is spelled haha

My photography website

Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Spazz is offline Spazz

Send a message via AIM to Spazz
I wrote a 16 page formal report on this very subject for my AP Eng class last year... might post some snippets.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

as i crawl out of the computer room , the light hits me and i hissss and run back into the hole from wence i came.

when ya create a object that does the work for you you take away from that person and he loses a part of himself.
like the calculator, i never use 1 unless it is modding my games, i seen all these people in school that used them and couldnt do a thing without them, couldnt even do simple addition or subtraction, pulled the calculator out and punched it up.

or like the robotic assymbly line, they created a object that could do what the person could do so it took the job away from the person and another way of doing will be forgoten for the machine will do it so they see it as pointless to teach the method any more, ya would be supprised at how much has been forgotten because of technoledgy.