Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Web design and Programming
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Web design and Programming Discuss website creation and other programming topics.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
JonM is offline JonM

Good ideas for free lancing (tips for programmers doing it for $$)

Seeings how I know of a lot of people who are trying to either sell templates, coding, etc, i thought i'd layout my tips and maybe Panther and some others could too.
  • Keep in constant communication with the client. I send daily reports and status checks as well as hang around on MSN.
  • Play it smart, don't get cheated! I program it and keep it on my server. They can test it out via my server, but if they want it, they must fork over the cash first. If they don't pay, then you have a script for sell at the very least.
  • Down payments are usually good. (I know from expierence). Do not make the down payment to large, but keep it small, yet decent sized. To make sure they are not going to cheat you.
  • Also, agree on a set price before. Try hard to keep the price from fluxuating as you go along.

I've got more, that I'll post later.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Use paypal for quick payment

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 03-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
make a contract before u start, with details of price etc
Old 03-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Webviper2006 is offline Webviper2006

Make a 30 day money back garentee. And make people with accounts. So they will download the templates again if they lost it.

Have very good support, and fast relpy on forums.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:26 PM
-Tigger- is offline -Tigger-
BB

Verify that the buyer is over 18, and is the credit card holder..

like DD says use paypal, as people will claim they sent cheques when they actually havn't

make sure that you check out the country of origin of the person, avoid african countries (lots of scammers)
Old 03-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
I'll outline my process of a standard transaction for a one page web design.

Meet the client via a message board or through them coming across my portfolio and msn address.

I then procede to get detailed description of what they are looking for. I outline how much it will cost (generally 20$-30$ per hour) and how long it will take. I finish by making a folder for the specific project in my Projects section of My Documents and place a text file with this information within that folder.

- Optional Step -
I now take a downpayment of 25-40% of the estimated final cost. Only done for higher profile clients when a project looks as though "parts" cannot be sold if a client takes off. (Parts meaning the PSD or other elements).

I now start designing, asking any questions that come to mind to the client. Constant contact is key if you want to have a happy client. I finish a first concept, putting just enough detail so that i don't get up to my neck and have to start again.

Email or MSN the client and ask for any changes and see how they feel about the overall look. If they feel iffy on certain aspects i modify them quickly and show another possible direction for that section of the design.

I procede to finish changes, finishing the design with mock content and making it look as it will look once on the internet (including an rollover preview, and background sample).

Providing no final touches are in order i now create a .zip within that project section and place all fonts used, the photoshop document and any further files there might be, such as sliced designs, javascript and CSS.

Email or MSN the client again giving them notice that i have finished the project and am ready to finish the transaction when they are. I provide my payment information (paypal@exit13.ca). Re-state the balance due and that once i see notice that the money is in my account i will email them the files. Once the balance is paid off i immediately transfer the files, haste is good here, you don't want to worry the client.

You may think that now you're done, but no you're not. In a good client/freelancer relationship you must complete a couple more steps.

You update your portfolio with all previews and different versions of designs (www.exit13.ca/portfolio). Make sure the work is watermarked, you don't want a client's design being ripped after payment.

Now all that is left is to keep in touch with the client, give them a few days to a week and email or msn them asking how the design is working out and see what they've done with it. This creates the atmosphere for them to want to come back and have you do further work for them. Then, make your contacts less frequent, asking what they've been up to, let them know of any major changes of your contact info or website and show them what you've been up to.

This should ensure a happy client and further work with this client if they ever need more work done. Clinically tested -- it works.

If any of you actually read that you're in the right mindset for freelancing. It's all about learning through other people's success and mistakes to make the best of your freelancing career.

Hope this helped some people out !
Probably my longest post ever, but i am very much so into this kind of thing.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Quote:
Originally posted by Webviper2006
Make a 30 day money back garentee. And make people with accounts. So they will download the templates again if they lost it.

Have very good support, and fast relpy on forums.
30 day money back guarentee is kind of hard to enforce. Most code can be replicated easily. There goes weeks of work down the drain with one click. I'd recommend 7 day max. But do offer maintenance option with extra service plan

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 03-08-2006, 07:16 PM
JonM is offline JonM

I don't offer money back guarentees due to the easy enough to copy and get out, but, I do put up a demo on my server. If tehy don't like it I have rights to it, and can sell it to someone else (either advertise it, or search for someone wanting it, both the same thing). Good tips so far guys . This will help some of the newer ones.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Unless I know the person a $25 percent non-refunable is required just for me to start. I put a demo on the server and let them see my progress and play around. Pretty much what everyone does I guess.. I offer no guarentees tho, but I will fix any problems that come from the script.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Jeff is offline Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Jeff
I don't offer guarentee's, but i do refund down payments if i cannot complete a job.

lol, did anyone read my post or should i have just posted Paypal's what i use for payments too.