Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:42 PM
cambreaKer is offline cambreaKer

How can i open .3di model files?

So just out of curiosity, i want to open the model files in Delta Force games, and i assume .3di are model files, i'm wondering how can i open these? is there a program for that or something?
Old 01-17-2021, 06:22 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i was discussing something similar to this the other day with someone. i think a lot of things have been done, add new items, move items to the other DF games, convert 3di to 3ds max etc. there are some 3di viewers and other utilities.

what is your plan? i think the game you want to do this with will have an impact also.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:32 AM

i just want to view the model files and check for unused content of the games and stuff like that, just out of curiosity i found some 3di viewer but it's only for land warrior and doesn't work on windows 10, and also a 3di extractor but it's only for df1&2 and has a bunch of issues like not extracting models with high amount of polygons.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:55 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

hey that's cool... curiosity, i get that
i didn't want to end up trying to get u some info you don't need to know. i mean basically i don't have full answers or the 3d tools etc but i think i can help some

i think you can use a couple of apps to view these files. when i discussed recently, this was for BHD. in fact the guy i spoke to spent a couple of hours to write a script there and then to export the 3di files as .obj to export to 3dsmax, something which ive never seen before.

anyway you are going to need a .pff extractor, you might have that already.

the easiest thing after that (based on even i got it to work), was unwrap3d https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/downloads.aspx with the Delta Force 1/2/3/4/5 (3DI) plugin:

the app is free to use, you just cant export as a different filetype, but it will open all the 3di files to view. it will tell you what texture files are associated with that file, but you may just have to look at those in your image app instead.

hope that help
Old 01-17-2021, 10:54 AM

thanks a lot! that helped, but i got a little issue, on some models some faces don't show up. for example that's how a DF1 player model looks like in unwrap3d:
Old 01-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

i'm not really sure i can advise any further. i think that the 3di format changes between each game. even thought that plugin says 1,2,3,4,5, i guess it is limited

maybe u would have to use FwO Ravens 3di viewer for earlier games

i'm glad you got the tool working somewhat tho
Old 01-18-2021, 10:56 AM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
For BHD, try Nova's official mod tools. The OED tool handles .3di files.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:32 PM

thanks! i'll try that
Old 01-22-2021, 12:46 PM

so unfortunately the OED didn't work.. it crashes every time i load a 3di in it.
well sometimes it doesn't but then i can't even see the model.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:40 PM
DF2 Forever

Is BHD the game in question? BHD is tagged but you referenced DF1 above.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:33 AM

well i'm trying to open the models from all DF games, but since the OED is for BHD i tried opening BHD models in it
Old 01-23-2021, 04:43 PM
~BLÃÐE~ is offline ~BLÃÐE~

Send a message via ICQ to ~BLÃÐE~
hi, what is it exactly you are trying to achieve?
Just view to models or edit them?

My opinion would be to convert them from .3di to .obj files
Then use a free viewer to see the models

IF you want to edit them or add to another game it can be done but a lot of work, but can be done
Old 01-23-2021, 04:57 PM

i'm trying to do both viewing the models and editing them.
how would i convert the 3di to obj? the tools i've used so far only worked partially, like raven's fwo 3di viewer and ultimate unwrap3d plugin worked with some DF1 models, BHD models didn't work. BHD OED didn't work at all. is there some converter that would let me just convert the models with textures too?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:36 PM
DF2 Forever

Working with Nova's .3di files is a post-apocalyptic nightmare where resources are scattered and only a few old dudes in remote cabins know anything about it.

Each game has different tools - mostly unofficial - that serve different purposes.

DF1
DF2
  • FwO Raven's 3di Viewer - view items, export meshes to .obj, export textures
  • NovalogicTools - unofficial mod tools for DF2 which includes a .3di viewer. This one requires some legwork since you'll need to compile the source code as no binaries have been released.
  • Nova3diLab - my own tool for converting .mqo files to .3di files. See releases for downloads.
  • A 3di plugin for Ultimate Unwrap 3d for viewing. Will share link once approved by staff.

DFLW
BHD/TS
Joint Ops
Multiple Games
As you can see, the majority of tools are for viewing items. Nova's official mod tools for BHD+ are your best bet for importing custom models. My Nova3diLab for DF2 is the only pre-BHD tool I know of for importing models, and it's pretty experimental.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:23 PM

which engine are you intending to finishing on ? BHD or DFX2?

i have some tools if you want
C4 2 BHD converter for 3di's
BHD 2 JO 3di's

If you want to view DFX models grab the dfx_obj zip and use
https://bit.ly/2MnrAZL
to view them. It's an old free viewer i use on win7

DFX obj files
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files....on=file&id=637

JO obj files
http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files....on=file&id=636
Old 01-29-2021, 01:12 AM

Ok, so lets assume you want to edit the model and put it into another game....

Start by extracting the 3di's from the Localres.pff in your game folder
You will need the PFF Editor to do this.

Then use the 3DI Texture Viewer to find the skins for each model or a 3d hex editor and read the code looking for the .dds or .tga files associated with the model.

You need to convert the 3di's to obj files, i have a tool i can give you to do this.

Next you need 3DMAX which is free for students
Import the obj file and add new CD's (collision boxes)

Export the file as an ASE file

Open the SuperOED and import the file, edit them to add lighting or what ever is needed, save as 3DI

Now the 3DI’s are ready to import into game.

When you have all the 3DI’s sorted with the correct .tga or .dds (Skins images) you will need to add the info to the ITEMS.def.
Get the items.def file from DFX2 or what ever game you want to use and Decrypt it to a text file using the BHD Tools.
Carefully add the info to the list making sure to change the number so they don’t clash with each other. Once that’s all done you need to Encrypt the file again.

Recap, you should have an items.def, 3DI’s, tga images. You can also add a .pcx file which would be the Med Editor Pic

Packing into PFF, open the pff editor and create a new empty .pff file, name it the name of your mod.
Put all the files, 3di, tga, pcx, dds…. and hit packit.exe
now you have your mod.pff
Drop it into the expansion folder in your game folder ../ Delta Force Xtreme 2/expansion/Mod.pff

Make a new short cut for the game and add ”(space)/exp ModName to the address bar at the end
Do the same for the Map Editor
Now your ready to go make a DFX2 map with new items
--------------------------------------------------------

As you can see it is a lot of work to import models from one game to another.
Most people just rip the models from mods and reskin them, that way you don't have to do all this work.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:37 PM
raptor46 is offline raptor46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BLÃÐE~ View Post
Ok, so lets assume you want to edit the model and put it into another game....

Start by extracting the 3di's from the Localres.pff in your game folder
You will need the PFF Editor to do this.

Then use the 3DI Texture Viewer to find the skins for each model or a 3d hex editor and read the code looking for the .dds or .tga files associated with the model.

You need to convert the 3di's to obj files, i have a tool i can give you to do this.

Next you need 3DMAX which is free for students
Import the obj file and add new CD's (collision boxes)

Export the file as an ASE file

Open the SuperOED and import the file, edit them to add lighting or what ever is needed, save as 3DI

Now the 3DI’s are ready to import into game.

When you have all the 3DI’s sorted with the correct .tga or .dds (Skins images) you will need to add the info to the ITEMS.def.
Get the items.def file from DFX2 or what ever game you want to use and Decrypt it to a text file using the BHD Tools.
Carefully add the info to the list making sure to change the number so they don’t clash with each other. Once that’s all done you need to Encrypt the file again.

Recap, you should have an items.def, 3DI’s, tga images. You can also add a .pcx file which would be the Med Editor Pic

Packing into PFF, open the pff editor and create a new empty .pff file, name it the name of your mod.
Put all the files, 3di, tga, pcx, dds…. and hit packit.exe
now you have your mod.pff
Drop it into the expansion folder in your game folder ../ Delta Force Xtreme 2/expansion/Mod.pff

Make a new short cut for the game and add ”(space)/exp ModName to the address bar at the end
Do the same for the Map Editor
Now your ready to go make a DFX2 map with new items
--------------------------------------------------------

As you can see it is a lot of work to import models from one game to another.
Most people just rip the models from mods and reskin them, that way you don't have to do all this work.
------------------------------------------

Hello Blade, I also want to edit these DFX1 & DFX2 models. I want to do some work by converting them from .3di format to .OBJ. The models I could convert to the only .OBJ format so far were BHD models. Importer plugin for Milkshape 3d program was very handy, that's okay. But how about DFX1-2 ?

What is the way to open DFX1 & DFX2 .3di format models, you said months before that you have a tool for that operation. I really needed it
..and, many thanks