Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 07-16-2020, 02:48 PM
smpo49 is offline smpo49

slowdown!!!!

Hi can anyone help, after playing AW2 for about half an hour the game starts to slow down drastically and i get first a yellow and then a red spot in the top left corner, it picks up again after a few minutes, its driving me mad, it takes hours to finish a game. any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:59 PM
jabo1SFH is offline jabo1SFH

how old is your gear? (monitor, vid card, etc?)

drivers up to date?

Old 07-17-2020, 04:05 AM
smpo49 is offline smpo49

running on a Toshiba Satellite C laptop with 8gb ram and integral graphics and a AOC 24" monitor, I've tried it without any Virus protection running and recently did a factory reset on the laptop with a new reinstall of the program but it still plays up.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:10 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Off the cuff it fits the symptoms of overheating or memory leak, first try checking GFX Card, CPU mounting, fans, even see if the power supply (intakes) need cleaning or more air space under the machine before trying to debug systems
Old 07-17-2020, 02:54 PM

So if it's a memory leak, in old speak, resource hog or (TSR) you may need to reduce other sytem events (windows programs etc), IE by tweaking your system.

Running AW2 on an integral graphics card?

If it's CPU based then depending on generation the functions neccessary for this game may or may not be there and unfortunately nothing can really be done about that.

If you mean a mobile chip (GPU based and separate to the CPU) then make sure windows didn't switch you back to CPU based graphics...
Old 07-18-2020, 06:48 AM
smpo49 is offline smpo49

Hi thanks for that, The laptop is getting on a bit, and may be due for retirement, I'll try what you suggested anyway, I've already tried turning off a few things but not the overheating, which sounds possible as it only starts after playing the game for a bit, I use the laptop shut as i use a keyboard and monitor so it could be overheating. heres hoping.
Cheers.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:51 PM
smpo49 is offline smpo49

Hi, it looks like it was the overheating, used the laptop open with the display shutdown and it ran perfectly, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. thanks.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpo49 View Post
Hi, it looks like it was the overheating, used the laptop open with the display shutdown and it ran perfectly, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. thanks.
Thank you, you're welcome to any and all, I'm glad it helped!