Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Chrispy is offline Chrispy

Send a message via MSN to Chrispy Send a message via Yahoo to Chrispy
What do you want to be when you're older?

When I'm out of school I'm thinking of military. I'm not sure if I want to be a computer technician in the army or have a combat role (well, peacekeeping role, technically). Maybe both if I can.

Sometime in my life I want to do a full-on job with computers. There's so much to do though. I could be a 3D modeller (I can do some low-poly items in 3DS Max), or I could be a web designer.

I reckon working at a game developer company like Nova or Valve would be just awesome. But then I'd probably have to travel to the United States and live there, since that's where all the big bucks are.

To sum it up, military, and something in the computers industry.

You guys?
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Computer Engineer, I am going to work on the design of electric vehicles and perhaps electronics for the military like the UAV.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

im gona fight the future.

become a warrior of freedom at the end of when im old probably missing an eye and a leg, die alone in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Re: What do you want to be when you're older?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy
When I'm out of school I'm thinking of military. I'm not sure if I want to be a computer technician in the army or have a combat role (well, peacekeeping role, technically). Maybe both if I can.

Sometime in my life I want to do a full-on job with computers. There's so much to do though. I could be a 3D modeller (I can do some low-poly items in 3DS Max), or I could be a web designer.

I reckon working at a game developer company like Nova or Valve would be just awesome. But then I'd probably have to travel to the United States and live there, since that's where all the big bucks are.

To sum it up, military, and something in the computers industry.

You guys?
the thing is in the military best look for something that can work for you when you leave the service, infantry or ranger type there not much jobs outside other then security or maybe if you luck get into the police force. they don't pay much to live on or your get kill for a low pay job outside the military.

go in and be smart about it, in, the area of the military that will work for you when you get out that you can use in your every day life for workforce other wise you find dead end jobs low pay.

dead in job's i mean is working warehouse stock boy, forklift operator, car's sells person, labor force......

Mike maybe able give some pointers in your part of the world what to look for in the military that will help you in the long run in it and outside the military when you leave the military

Recruiters live to con people into the Recruiting service even butter them up saying what you be getting in to you be able do this and that, be careful they may lie to you what the job really is! time you find out its too late your stuck in that job in the Recruiting set you up into, oldest trick Recruiters do get new people in.
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 07-09-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 AM

Yep, a recruiter's job is to try and get you into the military, and they'll talk as much !@#$ just to get you to apply.
Intel Core Duo E7300 2.66GHz // SuperTalent DDR2 800 2GB // ASUS nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB // Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB SATA // LG GH-20LS 20X SATA DVD-RAM // Windows XP Pro 32-bit // Thermaltake XP550 NP 430W // Thermaltake SOPRANO SECC Black
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

I don't know how your military is Chrispy...but if you are going to enlist for computer engineering or a computer related MOS, then I would suggest to join the Air Force, or Navy.

Here in the US they have 100 times better barracks and living condition than the Army...so if you are going to do a job that requires little combat training then do not join the Army.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Quote:
Yep, a recruiter's job is to try and get you into the military, and they'll talk as much !@#$ just to get you to apply.
Not necassarily. In my experience, the recruiters will only show interest in you if you show heavy interest in this field of work...

As for me, well, I'm already "older"...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

I already work as a robot programmer and service technician aswell as PLC programmer

My photography website

Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Stephen Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
im already in the military and i recommend not to do combat chris unless thats what you really want.

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I am who I want to be when i'm older. Happy with a good job.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
mrg is offline mrg

I want to be a Lawer or a Helicopter piolt in the RAF or move to America to become a Helicopter Pilot there and if im very lucky try to get into the 160th SOAR

Last edited by mrg; 07-09-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentTrigger*MFA*
I already work as a robot programmer and service technician aswell as PLC programmer
You lucky punk.

Quote:
Not necassarily. In my experience, the recruiters will only show interest in you if you show heavy interest in this field of work...

As for me, well, I'm already "older"...
Here they were totally after me, my parents told them to go away lol. I took this test and passed it with flying colors but I was 17. The guy did just that he told me all the good things and that I could choose my position and all this crap. Good salesman but not the complete truth,

In the USA the AF gets it a lot nicer than most of the other branches of the military.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
i bet you end up doing something completely different Crispy!!

here's what i wanted to be

age 2 = a clock!!!!
age 3 = a tractor !!!!
age 4 = farmer (think i had a book about tractors and i probably realised that being a tractor was not gonna happen).
bit older it was any kind of digger driver
then it was a pilot
then marine biologist
then some kind of sports pro (swimming) or some kind of coach or something like that
then my dad got me interested in computers
then my IT teacher told me his 5 year old daughter was better at IT then me (i was 15 or so :/ )
i went to college and there was no computer courses so i did biology, maths, and business studies and pretty much resigned myself to the fact i was gonna get a 9-5 job in an office
however i applied to university for a course called Business Information Systems (in depth relationship between computers and business)
then i pretty much failed all my exams and didnt get the university place i wanted

(that was a scary day!!)

then i got offered a place at the same university on a course called Business and Technology which meant i studied:

Year 1: Marketing, Information and Communication Technology, Quantitative Methods, Accounting and Finance, Product Design and Specification, Economics, Functions of Business

Year 2: Analysing Planning and Control, Business Decision Making (including Management Accounting, Human Resource Management (including Quality, Organisational Behaviour, Human Resources), Photonics, Computer based Information Systems, Options: World Class Manufacturing, Techno Business Study.

Year 3: One year work placement.*

Year 4: Business Policy Analysis, Networks, Small Business Development, Dissertation, Professional Practice, Business Policy Formulation and Implementation, Global Communications, Marketing, Small Business Development.

*year 3 i worked on an IT help desk which i didnt really like.

i actually passed university with a BSc (Hons) Business and Technology

i then looked into doing a master degree in web design which was backed by macromedia (the dreamweaver company), which is probably the only thing ive ever really wanted to do, unfortunately the tutor said i didnt have enough prior knowledge about php etc and said i should look elsewhere :****(

so what next??? christ i had no idea! i kind of took a casual approach as usual and while i was looking for a proper job i did some temp stuff including a customer service person for a mortgage company, and then a similar sort of thing for a life insurance company!! (omg shoot me now)

after a while i think my dad was frustrated and pointed out this computer hardware course... which i did and got a job as an IT service engineer shortly after.

and that's what i do now

so basically my whole education was useless and i got a great job doing something i liked on the back of a 4 week training course heh

future? i dunno, see how it goes for now, but it will be in IT i'm sure.

go to university if you get the chance!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
mrg is offline mrg

Blitzhund who never posts! is a IT Risk Assesor

Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Re: What do you want to be when you're older?

Quote:

Where on Earth are you getting your infomation from?

Lionhead
Rare
Rockstar
Bizarre Creations
DICE

Some of these companies have offices in the US but none of them are US companies. All of them are platinum selling legends in the trade.

BTW I'm a nurse. Don't ever get into health care of any kind unless that's absolutely the only thing you could possibly care about doing. It's total rubbish and ruining my life.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
MERMITE is offline MERMITE

I was an army cook and a real bad one, I went in to be a pilot but they made me the cook.
I went in looking for cheap training and ended up killing people, lots of them for peace
As a "peace keeper", your ass is rented to the United Nations at about
US$500. a day, of that you get US$14.35
As a 'non combatent' cook you don't SEE combat, that's CRAP.
Boredom TOTAL Boredom will drive you nuts, and you will do anything
for excitement, even delivering the mermites (eskies,coolers, food flasks)
to the 'suckers' who if not eating your food are in the body bags you'll be bringing back, you'll be drinking and selling vannilla escence by the keg
again for the above reasons.
If you are the brainy type you'll be the medic, that way you get to go thu the pockets of those in the body bags, and like many, sell the odd morph on the side.
As a cook I toured Africa, Iraq, Afganistan, Cent America, Europe and SE Asia, with ALL english speaking armies and more, it has not made me a better person and like many will carry the scars for life and after.
Wise Up Numb Nuts: This is no game.
Looking for a future stay with what you KNOW, stay with whats in RANGE.

mermite

ps I did become a pilot after getting my 2nd resturant
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 PM

The combat roles here I think are okay. They're not too serious, and I think it's just peacekeeping and stuff. I might be wrong though.

I also heard being an officer is better, since you don't get yelled at all the time. :/

@ zza, what's bad about health care?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Grenademan is offline Grenademan

Quote:
[B]The combat roles here I think are okay. They're not too serious, and I think it's just peacekeeping and stuff. I might be wrong though.
Just because the word "peace" is in peacekeeping, there is no guarantee that you won't see something that could scar you for the rest of your life. You and your army might be told your on a peacekeeping mission - but others (such as rebels) may have a completely different idea to that.

Quote:
I also heard being an officer is better, since you don't get yelled at all the time. :/
Perhaps - but you still have to take orders from higher-ups and there's no telling whether they're assholes or relatively "nice" people. Seriously, getting yelled it should be the least of your concerns if you ever joined the military.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
mrg is offline mrg

Memite waz that Directed at every 1 or just me n Chrispy

Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
computer programer thru colladge.

I think it's a wise choice. it's somthing I'll enjoy doing and the pay isn't bad eather.

somewhare around $85,000 a year and that's without all the colladge stuff. and I will be going thru colladge

I think it's somthing I would be good at.