Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

FYI, the other day I did try calling the public number. I tried almost all the options but all wanted me to leave a message which I didn't do.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 08-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
haha
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 AM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
FYI, the other day I did try calling the public number. I tried almost all the options but all wanted me to leave a message which I didn't do.
that's pretty funny Good on you for trying. I was going to reach out on LinkedIn but the only way to contact them is by sending a request to connect, which I don't really want to do - thought I could just send them a message. So, I went looking for the CEO's email and I can't find anything. Wondering if it's jgarcia@novalogic or maybe johngarcia@novalogic. May just give both a shot. Do either of you guys know what the naming structure of their email is?

Also, Scott, your screenshot got me wondering... if we tried to organize a day for BHD gaming, how many people could we get to show up? I really only use Macs these days, but I still have my 10 year old PC with Windows XP on it... I could set up the maps. Would need at least a few weeks to get fully prepared, though. I don't own DF2 but would consider shelling out $10 for it if that's all we could get people to play, too (long as it's not DFX2... yuck).
Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

chad mcneil was cmcneill@novalogic.com so could be jgarcia@novalogic.com or jagarcia@novalogic.com

came across these 2, they were marketing/pr, assume they are not at NL any more though, but could have a contact https://twitter.com/georginaverdon https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer

https://twitter.com/NovaLogicInc

i dont use twitter btw

did find this on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co..._to_novalogic/ an ex memeber of staff posted but it doesnt provide much useful info, it mentions that Kyle (freeman) might still be around but he left to work at disney a while back. shame as he would know how to make df2 run at a decent resolution

Last edited by Steve; 08-31-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:18 PM

Got his email - sent him one. Fingers crossed!

I saw that reddit thread, too - it's actually what made me come over here and post! I may reach out to that user, too, to see if he knows anyone still working there.

Steve, I meant to ask you in addition to Scott... would you also be interested in a day of throwback DF gaming?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I wouldn't mind a few games.. I do have access to a number of servers that could host them. I'd like DF2 more than BHD but either would work really.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

cools, do all these work on steam?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Yes they do

Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM

Why not do both DF2 and BHD on different days? I wonder how many people we could get together... Have you guys tried organizing a big day before? I figure if we did it as two separate events, we could get higher turnouts. If we could get 16 people, we could have some very full maps.

I bet BHD probably still has some players (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's DF2 that would need more organization. I suggest hitting up other DF fan sites and Novaworld (which has become a cesspool... but all we need are bodies). I'm excited!!

I have my PC in storage, so I'd need to get it out and extract some BHD maps for us... Maybe on a Saturday? I can't do this weekend, though.

No response from John Garcia. I doubt I'll ever hear back. I imagine that no email = no game in development. I'm very confused as to why they never published that iOS Commanche game that was in development.

Edit- I'm assuming that no one plays DF2 and that we'd need to set a time for people to log on to play, but I now see that there's a FB group where you guys ping one another when you are playing? Is it easy to get games going?

Last edited by BlacKSmurF; 09-01-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

i'm sure there must be a lot of DF groups on Steam but i recently joined this group after i saw Stompem join up: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DeltaForceLives , quite a few active members, they seem to use https://www.evolvehq.com/welcome for joining games. i think the biggest battle is getting ppl in the same place at the same time, too many different ways of connecting these days
Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 AM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
I vote we organize a DF2 night. I can play most weekend nights, and I have at least 4 DF2 contacts that still play the game regularly.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Sounds like a plan then... I will get my 11 year old PC out of storage this weekend and buy DF2. Hope Windows XP SP2 can run the latest version of Steam!

Bullet, if you have four friends and all four of us show up, it'd be a solid eight people. Not sure how many people we could get if we made an event on Steam/Facebook.

Do people still play BHD regularly? Would it take as much organization to get a game going, or could we pretty easily get one with 16 people?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15 PM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKSmurF View Post
Do people still play BHD regularly? Would it take as much organization to get a game going, or could we pretty easily get one with 16 people?
There are plenty of folks still playing BHD. A few servers are packed regularly.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
There are plenty of folks still playing BHD. A few servers are packed regularly.
That's great news. Is the game overrun with cheaters? Cheaters were one of the reasons I stopped playing the game... it was hard to tell if someone was cheating if they were "good" at it.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 AM
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKSmurF View Post
That's great news. Is the game overrun with cheaters? Cheaters were one of the reasons I stopped playing the game... it was hard to tell if someone was cheating if they were "good" at it.
I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any in the servers I play in.

It's funny to read how NovaLogic games spawned careers for other people too. I doubt I would have become a programmer if not for the countless hours I spent making tools and mods for the DF games.

I've thought a few times about creating a central hub for the older Delta Force games that is solely devoted to instructions for getting the games running and playing online. Others have attempted to do the same and failed, so there's not a lot of motivation behind the idea. The influx in social media platforms may help this time around, but I'm just not sure.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Lakie is offline Lakie

I still play LW every so often. Dont get online much but have much fun with ArcticWolfs maps with the adjusted AI...

It has crossed my mind to see if Garcia would be interested in selling the source code for DF2 or LW to release it open source, but suspect I couldn't afford what he would ask :/
Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

someone was talking about that many years ago for DF2, unfortunately i forget names, was really cool the ideas kicking around, there was some advanced modding of the game but only to a point where they needed help from NL which was not forthcoming. wish i could remember that guys name...
Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
It's funny to read how NovaLogic games spawned careers for other people too. I doubt I would have become a programmer if not for the countless hours I spent making tools and mods for the DF games.
So this is kind of funny, but I actually considered going into game design because of all of the modding I did. I ultimately decided against it after reading about the sweatshop hours and constant turnover. I wrote a post over here to stompem talking about making a game from scratch in the spirit of Delta Force. I didn't realize we had so many modders here! Maybe there is hope...

Quote:
I've thought a few times about creating a central hub for the older Delta Force games that is solely devoted to instructions for getting the games running and playing online. Others have attempted to do the same and failed, so there's not a lot of motivation behind the idea. The influx in social media platforms may help this time around, but I'm just not sure.
That would be really cool. From what I've read, there are just too many pingers, and they all yield different lobby results (please correct me if I am not understanding). It would make sense to have a consolidated pinger, and I imagine it would increase the number of players across all games. For instance, instead of firing up a DF, DF2, and DFLW pinger, you just open one up when you are bored and notice there's a game going in DF and you join it. Right now, people probably aren't bothered to open up all three pingers. It could be really good for the DF community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakie View Post
It has crossed my mind to see if Garcia would be interested in selling the source code for DF2 or LW to release it open source, but suspect I couldn't afford what he would ask :/
Now that is an interesting proposition... if you could get him to respond to your email! Still no response on mine, probably because they have no games in development.

What would you do with the engine if you had it? It may be hard to get modern day gamers to jump onto it because of the dated graphics, so I'd be leery about investing any money into it.

I can't imagine they'd ever have a use for it again. It would make sense to try to profit off of it any way since it's so outdated, even if it just meant taking a percentage of your gross if you ever made any money with it.

I can't imagine I'd license their Commanche/BHD/JO engine... I didn't do any coding on it, but I heard they coded themselves into a corner on it to the point it would be impossible to add a sprint button.

I wonder, though, if a graphically overhauled BHD would sell? Almost no other changes made aside from graphics... would it do well? There is no shortage of ways to monetize it - you could let the community make all of the maps so people play the game for years, then you encourage modding and sell reskins, remodels, etc. that have purely aesthetic changes to gameplay. Or, you could occasionally release an "official" map pack with 4 maps in it for a low price, or just charge for an expansion pack. I was dumbfounded at Novalogic's utter failure in monetizing their games. I am not a fan of microtransactions nickel and diming me, but I'll gladly pay for new, good content.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
DF2 Forever

I would fall over and die with happiness if the source code for DF/DF2/LW/TFD was released. I'd buy the engine and tools needed if they were still available.

There used to be a rumor that NovaLogic had actually lost the source code for some of the older games. I wonder if that's true.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:45 PM
DF2 Forever

F22L3Comments@novalogic.com

Has anyone tried that email? Maybe there's a slight chance they would check that one since it's regarding the June update.