Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Computers > Tech Support

Tech Support Have a problem? Maybe we can help!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Wraith45601 is offline Wraith45601

Two computers , two problems.

Ok, I am trying to play JOTR online. So I installed it on my laptop, which is running Vista, and get an error code. (Not enough RAM or some network sockets are closed. Code NWEC15? I'm not on the laptop right now and don't have the details of it.) I know this is a common issue with Vista and have found some information on it. However, I can't get any of it to work. Has anyone else had this problem and could you please tell me what you did to fix it?

Anyway, after playing around on the laptop trying to get the fix to work, I finally decided to try installing and running it on the desk computer. So it tells me I need to update the game to continue, which I agree to, and the updater comes up. It says:

Contacting update server.
Please wait.

7,342 bytes read

And that is where I'm at right now. I have played around with our firewall (Norton 360) but it does no good. Why does this keep stopping at the same point?

Desktop info:

Emachines
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 3

AMD Athlon 2650e processor
1.61 GHz 896MB of RAM

NVidia GeForce 6150SE nforce 430 graphics.

Laptop info to come soon. Iam not very computer savy, so Step by step instructions may be required. If you know a website with a detailed fix I would appreciate it. I haven't been able to find one detailed enough yet though.

Edit: Laptop info:

Toshiba Satellite L305D
AMD Athlon X2 dual core QL-62 processor
2GB SDRAM, 250GB HDD
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1

Using Norton 360 Anti virus/Firewall.

Last edited by Wraith45601; 08-25-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith45601 View Post
I know this is a common issue with Vista and have found some information on it. However, I can't get any of it to work.
what exactly have you tried?

grabbed some info off NW2:

Quote:
go into the joint operations folder in windows explorer, copy the game.cfg file to your desktop,
open the file which you have just placed on your desktop (use notepad to open it)
scroll down to mpgateserverlocalportmin = "49152" change the last number (2) to the number 3
then go to mpgateserverlocalportmax = "65536" change the last number (6) to the number 7
Change the mpnovaworldportrandom = "0" to "1"
save the file and copy and replace this file to the original file that is in the joint operations original folder
then every time you play joint operations on vista you have to run as administrator by clicking right click on joint ops icon or in the start menu and click run administrator.
Quote:
Original:
mpgateserverlocalportmin = "49152"
mpgateserverlocalportmax = "65536"

Edited:
mpgateserverlocalportmin = "49153"
mpgateserverlocalportmax = "65537"

regarding the other prob, try a manual update: http://www.novahq.net/?show=utilitie...et_file&id=316

i'd suggest that nortons is pants and is probably causing your problem.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Wraith45601 is offline Wraith45601

Yeah, the copy and paste with the game.cfg file is the one I have tried.( I have game.cfg files all over my desktop.) I cannot edit it and get it to save. Or when I do get it to work, It will not let me paste the file back. I think I am doing the procedure wrong or something.

EDIT: Okay here is the message that pops up when I try to save the edited file back into the orginal game.cfg folder:

Cannot create the C:\Program Files\NovaLogic\Joint Operations Typhoon Rising\game.cfg file.

Make sure the path and file name are correct.

but I am looking at the file. It does exist I'm tellin' ya! I'd really like to throw this thing sometimes.
(I've also had it tell me I didn't have administrative rights or something.I have looked at who the administive file and yep, that would be me.)

Edit 2: Could the fact that when I try to save it in it's edited version it is a .txt file instead of a .cfg file have anything to do with it?
As for the other problem, thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

May try shutting Norton completely off and see what happens. I already have the firewall off.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Wraith45601; 08-27-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Norton anti-virus has scrip blocking i never like that in the pass! can make a lot of error come up even when closing out some programs on me. its a over kill i think

if you can disable it may do the job and stop the error message! not 100% on that i no longer use norton i'm free from them now days

firewall is an pain it basic my feeling on it like to hijack the setting of the system and let it run its own way, id administrator have limited rights beside other things
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]