Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

DFX Review - GameZone

Delta Force Extreme has taken the best of the best of the single player missions from the original campaigns and gave them a makeover. In addition to the classic DF missions, there are a few new ones and added multiplayer missions and features.

The DF series has always been a favorite of mine. I never had the chance to get DF1 but I started on DF2. Now with DFX it’s better than going back to the original DF1. The new technology since the release of the original, gives DF1 one heck of makeover. In addition to a better-looking game, you can also play multiplayer, which is addicting as all heck.

There are 20 single player missions spread over 3 campaigns that will have you rescuing hostages, eliminating enemy resistance, and the like. You will have several varieties of machine guns, satchel charges, claymores, grenades, and my favorite the rocket launcher, to aid you in your tasks. Though the missions are fun and can be quite challenging, it gets to be the same old hat after the first campaign. The game is a bit too easy for my liking and most gamers should probably finish the game in weekend. The enemy and team AI is all over the map. Sometimes it is very realistic and others you do not understand what the heck they are doing. If only there was a difficulty setting to make the game a bit more realistic. So in short the AI can and will be pretty predictable after a while, which makes the game a bit simple.

Visually the game looks great. The added weather effects create a realism that can aid or hinder your attack strategy. The character modeling is fantastic when the bad guys get shot. Nothing better than blowing a guy’s head back with a sniper rifle. When the guys fall to their death from a fatal shot, it looks very realistic and it does appear that depending on where you hit them on the body, they fall accordingly. Of course they fly through the air quite decently with a well-placed grenade.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

What truly gives DFX its second wind are the multiplayer games. These are fun and exciting and quite honestly addicting as all hell. It was so hard just to write this review because it was taking away from my game time! There are 6 MP games; they include Deathmatch Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Team King of the Hill, and CO-operative. There are drivable vehicles that include Dirtbikes, Dune buggies equipped with a .50 Caliber machine gun, and little bird helicopters. You can play with up to 32 players via the Internet on Novaworld. Novaworld even tracks your stats so you can see how good you are compared to others and watch your rankings climb as your skills improve. Novaworld has implemented a new cheat tracking engine so cheaters are more easily tracked and banned which provides a more stable gaming environment.

DFX is designed for the casual gamer in mind and has a zero learning curve. You can pick up and play and have a blast for a MSRP of about 20 bucks. You gotta love that!

Review Scoring Details for Delta Force Xtreme

Gameplay: 8.5
Starting out is a piece of cake. Some of the default keyboard commands feel a bit awkward, but can be customized. Single player games played awesome with no hiccups, but games on the Novaworld servers came with an occasional crash or error. This FPS is one of the easiest to pick up and play that I have ever come across.

Graphics: 8
Most games that carry a $50 price tag usually boast eye-popping graphics. Though the graphics found here may not be eye-popping, this title looks great for a game that carries a low MSRP of about $20. Visually this title looks like DF2 and DF3.

Sound: 8
Typical sound effects like explosions and gun fire and other indicators heard before in other DF titles. This is not really a bad thing and for those of you like myself who enjoyed all the games in the DF series. Old sounds mean you know what's going on, and you do not have to learn them all over again. Unfortunately, nothing really new and exciting either.

Difficulty: Medium
The game is relatively easy and most gamers will probably finish all 3 campaigns in about 8-10 hours. The true challenge is online play against crazy people who will do the impossible vs. predictable AI.

Concept: 7.5
Nothing new here. I did like the ability to build your own maps, and I have always enjoyed the DF multiplayer games. As long as the cheating is held at bay, and the crashes cease after a patch or two.

Multiplayer: 9
Games are offered on a Novaworld server, which means no added software to download like Gamespy. I love games that keep stats and award medals for experience. This always keeps gamers playing trying to achieve higher goals and keeps them playing. Some games charge a monthly fee for this type of online play, thankfully Novaworld never has and hopefully never will. My only gripe is that while playing online you get an occasional crash that can be frustrating in the heat of a good battle. At time of release there are a limited amount of maps, hopefully this will change too.

Overall: 8.5
Novalogic has once again done a nice job.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog#1
Visually this title looks like DF2 and DF3.
what!!

either they haven't player DFX, or they haven't played df2 / lw

cheers for posting DD