Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

guess what tomorrow is.

to morrow is a day that is also sadly not remembered and not even tought much anymore, it is a day that ocured in december 16, 1773 when king george III imposed the last straw on the colonist.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boston Tea Party, 1773

Victory in the French and Indian War was costly for the British. At the war's conclusion in 1763, King George III and his government looked to taxing the American colonies as a way of recouping their war costs. They were also looking for ways to reestablish control over the colonial governments that had become increasingly independent while the Crown was distracted by the war. Royal ineptitude compounded the problem. A series of actions including the Stamp Act (1765), the Townsend Acts (1767) and the Boston Massacre (1770) agitated the colonists, straining relations with the mother country. But it was the Crown's attempt to tax tea that spurred the colonists to action and laid the groundwork for the American Revolution.

The colonies refused to pay the levies required by the Townsend Acts claiming they had no obligation to pay taxes imposed by a Parliament in which they had no representation. In response, Parliament retracted the taxes with the exception of a duty on tea - a demonstration of Parliament's ability and right to tax the colonies. In May of 1773 Parliament concocted a clever plan. They gave the struggling East India Company a monopoly on the importation of tea to America.
Additionally, Parliament reduced the duty the colonies would have to pay for the imported tea. The Americans would now get their tea at a cheaper price than ever before. However, if the colonies paid the duty tax on the imported tea they would be acknowledging Parliament's right to tax them. Tea was a staple of colonial life - it was assumed that the colonists would rather pay the tax than deny themselves the pleasure of a cup of tea.

The colonists were not fooled by Parliament's ploy. When the East India Company sent shipments of tea to Philadelphia and New York the ships were not allowed to land. In Charleston the tea-laden ships were permitted to dock but their cargo was consigned to a warehouse where it remained for three years until it was sold by patriots in order to help finance the revolution.

In Boston, the arrival of three tea ships ignited a furious reaction. The crisis came to a head on December 16, 1773 when as many as 7,000 agitated locals milled about the wharf where the ships were docked. A mass meeting at the Old South Meeting House that morning resolved that the tea ships should leave the harbor without payment of any duty. A committee was selected to take this message to the Customs House to force release of the ships out of the harbor. The Collector of Customs refused to allow the ships to leave without payment of the duty. Stalemate. The committee reported back to the mass meeting and a howl erupted from the meeting hall. It was now early evening and a group of about 200 men disguised as Indians assembled on a near-by hill. Whopping war chants, the crowd marched two-by-two to the wharf, descended upon the three ships and dumped their offending cargos of tea into the harbor waters.

Most colonists applauded the action while the reaction in London was swift and vehement. In March 1774 Parliament passed the Intolerable Acts which among other measures closed the Port of Boston. The fuse that led directly to the explosion of American independence was lit.
================================================== ====================================

i also learned something disturbing the other day about the EIC or East India Company that ya read about above, they were founded in 1600 and were initionally for trade but started into politics and became part of imperialist rule in the carribean and india, they were supposably dismantled in 1858 but the reminants of the company played a big part in the forming of the League of Nations that became unreliable and was later redid and formed into the United Nations that we all know today, explains a lot dont it?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
True that

I remember it from my history classes. I am stoked because this semester I am taking a US history class....I hope that it is more in depth than my History and Philosophy of religion class.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

probably wont be as in depth for every year they get farther and farther away from american history and teach more and more world history, but maby ya will have a teacher that loves to teach american history.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
sad thing is the leader we have in "wishbone DC" don't know a thing about history and don't know how to handle money ether! (Math and Bank accounts don't add-up with them) spend spend spend into the blackest hole of death big time.

teachers try to give the people history, only they are so boring when they teach it in the classroom people go dead sleep right off the back.

English, math, history today are boring to lrean. the teachers who can make it fun for the class to lrean it now thats something. i only meet two teachers like that a little joke or humor can go a long way to make it fun to lrean and not so boring dead
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]

Last edited by Hellfighter; 12-18-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
I work with teachers, and students alike. the problem isnt the teachers nore is it the students. it is both. students 10 years ago were not as lazy as todays students and had to do much more on their own(such as emptying pencil sharpners and setting up the gym for a game/function.), also they didnt have 10 major tests to do on top of their finals throughout the year which are not based on textbook curriculum 100%. Teachers are still trying to teach like they did in the early 20th century by reading a book and writing on a board. when todays(yesterdays as well) students learn best through current popular medium. such as my generation computers were dos based, but TV and VCR was fun and entertaining. so when a teacher put in a tape we watched it even if it was boring and we learned something, after it was back to chalkboard and we were bored and learned half.

want to teach driving safety the most efficiantly today? give the students a driving game to play, points earned for following local laws, points removed for breaking. either way a student plays it they learn. test would be drive the course in game with few faults, then its on to real driving. for english(common toungue) classes give them several reviews to read based upon something they are interested in.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 12-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx_jet_xX
I work with teachers, and students alike. the problem isnt the teachers nore is it the students. it is both. students 10 years ago were not as lazy as todays students and had to do much more on their own(such as emptying pencil sharpners and setting up the gym for a game/function.), also they didnt have 10 major tests to do on top of their finals throughout the year which are not based on textbook curriculum 100%. Teachers are still trying to teach like they did in the early 20th century by reading a book and writing on a board. when todays(yesterdays as well) students learn best through current popular medium. such as my generation computers were dos based, but TV and VCR was fun and entertaining. so when a teacher put in a tape we watched it even if it was boring and we learned something, after it was back to chalkboard and we were bored and learned half.

want to teach driving safety the most efficiantly today? give the students a driving game to play, points earned for following local laws, points removed for breaking. either way a student plays it they learn. test would be drive the course in game with few faults, then its on to real driving. for english(common toungue) classes give them several reviews to read based upon something they are interested in.
I wish more schools would teach with more interactive learning. When I was in school all we did was read books to learn. I was deathly bored with that. I hate reading... I also hated to far outdated b&w documentaries that we watched a few times a year. I could never stay awake.

What I don't understand is, now, my favorite channels are the Discovery Channel, Science Channel, National Geographic and the Histroy Channel. I can't learn enough. Watching something like Planet Earth or the Histroy Channel taught me more about the planet and world history then any boring book or old out dated documentary could.

I can't say that I would have watched these like I do now bacdk then, but they would have definitely helped.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-21-2007, 11:32 AM
DevilDog#1 is offline DevilDog#1

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
What I don't understand is, now, my favorite channels are the Discovery Channel, Science Channel, National Geographic and the Histroy Channel. I can't learn enough. Watching something like Planet Earth or the Histroy Channel taught me more about the planet and world history then any boring book or old out dated documentary could.
Welcome to adulthood.

Quote:
If I don't do that doesn't mean I can't - DD#1