View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 04:30 AM
DJ_Kling is offline DJ_Kling

Send a message via AIM to DJ_Kling
Never seen an RPG up close, rather impressive. I've fired most of the US arsenal though, and pretty happy with not being on the 'business end' of much of it

I have never seen more than one long arm issued to a single soldier, ever. SAW and M60 gunners had enough weight (usually 50% more than a rifleman) already, carrying a rifle PLUS a different set of ammo (7.62 for the 'pig' and 5.56 for the 16... lot of weight!)
SAW gunners wouldnt waste the weight either. The weapon is comparable to a 16, and tends to be more reliable IMHO.

SFG's do do things a bit on their own. But they tend to travel light, avoid combat, and pack in the least 'crap' the can get by with. RARE was it to see an M60, occasionally a drum-fed SAW, but normally we trained with the M4A2 (most people liked the carry handle sights over the flat-top), some with M203 attatchments or 'master key' setups, and on not-so-rare occasions when weight was a big concern, it was not uncommon to see an occasional H&K MP5 sub-machine gun in a 9mm . But we also trained with AK's in various configurations (less accurate than a 'black rifle', but DAMNED reliable!), the british SA-80 (my personal fav... but high maint), and various weapons from the UZI people (POS IMHO).

In closing, i find it hard to believe (even if it WAS optional) that anyone would want to carry a second long-arm. SFs, Rangers, etc are always keeping light loads, especially on air drops, and as such would only carry M4 or smaller weapons. Standard grunts would LOVE less weight, and never would sacrifice mobility so they could carry two different long-arms, in 2 different calibers, and likely drop on any decent road march (thus pissing off your squad members who now have to carry YOUR crap too).

As a former 'pig' gunner, i can tell you it sucks to pack in the pig, the ammo, and the barrel at times (usually the ammo bearer does that)... if they said i had to carry a 16 plus a combat load of ammo... well... i would have become a truck driver