Thread: close call
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
VooDoo- is offline VooDoo-

The boat thing wasn't the first time that happened to me. The first time we were stranded a little farther off shore because both the batteries died. It was my brothers fault because he left the ignition on the whole time while we were diving and no one noticed it. You can control which battery is providing power... so it goes 1, 2, or both. of course it was set on both.

So with no radio you're left with only flares .. which worked thank God (we did have to wait there for a long ass time waiting for another boat to come by). Now a days they have satellite phones you can buy, but they're mad expensive. Probably worth it though :\

we always bring a bunch of tools with us off-shore because the chance of having to screw around with the engine is high .. it's a carburated 350 chevy block that always needs tinkering for some reason
---

now one of the closest calls ever for me was also off shore ... this was some truly scary **** for me.

Me and my dad came up after about a half hour dive from about 100 feet .. only to see the boat a good distance away ... which totally sucks but isn't uncommon ... the only way to avoid this is if you're one of those doucebags that carry 10,000 dollars of equipment with them underwater, including a GPS.

Anyways ... so with only an empty steel scuba tank (which weights way more than a full one in water), a spear gun, and a weight belt, we have to start swimming our asses back ... the fins make it easier but it's still hard work. The problem starts when my brother and mom start looking for us by pulling the anchor and moving the boat .. IN THE WRONG ****ING DIRECTION... like .. really wrong direction. I don't know what the hell they were thinking because they were no where near where we initially started ... long story short we nearly ****ing drowned by the time they turned around and looked from where we were at. needless to say, we ditched the weight belts...

This is the exact reason why they have BC's (really fancy life jackets) but we didn't have any at the time