View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
I don't think the Resolution Rigamarole (!!!WORLDWIDESCREEN TOUR 2018!!! WITH SPECIAL GUESTS DAVE BARRY AND THE ROCK BOTTOM REMAINDERS!!!) has anything to do with it. I don't know, either, though, the testing has not been conclusive on that.

I have discovered that if you remind the system about the MED's admin rights by editing the shortcut again just before attempting to start it, it mostly works. If you start the MED and the Info tab does not immediately say "No Items Selected", try again. I'm getting acceptable results this way.

I also edited the shortcuts a level deeper to run the .exes as admin for all users, just for kicks, you know? Deactivated the system specific compatability mode as well, haven't really noticed any difference, good or bad.

[Incoming Ramble Alert!]

Maybe we're all in a special level of hell specifically for indolent NovaLogic game mappers and modders. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've been reading too many David Wong books.

I didn't mention that over the last few days, I had to reinstall Windows 10 even though I never made a back up system image (it somehow still worked), or that even though I chose the "Preserve my files" method, it still wiped everything in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory, meaning that all the files and hundreds of hours I've spent modding effectively every game (and all your mods) I ever play was gone. It's honestly the closest I've ever been to a hefty wrist-slitting, and I've been through chemotherapy, so just imagine how I felt when I realized that the program with the virtual CD-drive I was using to save wear and tear on my Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate's Moon discs was OEM to the Windows 8 this crate came with and is possibly irretrievable, and while rummaging through the hard drive looking for its installer, I came across a folder labeled Windows.old THAT HAD ALL THE C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86) STUFF IN IT THAT I THOUGHT WAS GONE FOREVER! WINDOWS 10 SAVED THAT **** FOR ME! I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO RE-EDIT ALL THE MECHCOMMANDER 2 'MECHS AND PILOTS! I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO OH-SO-PAINFULLY REPOSITION THE CHAINSAW, PMG, AND FLAMETHROWER IN THE DFWIQ MOD! ALL THOSE SIGHT TARGAS! ALL STILL THERE!

[End Ramble]

So I guess it's not a special level of hell. The MEDs are quirky, but they're starting, so I'm chalkin' that up in the friggin' plus column, yeah.
M8, that's real bad news there.

I've had similar things happen since the new year.

Luckily I have Backups on external drives.

Sometimes windows just moves the whole system try Looking for a windows.old folder or some other new folder on the PC - Usually drive C

Also, try a drive recovery with software like RECUVA (this works on an ssd if you're quick) works real good on hdds and it's for free.

Last edited by Guest001; 02-08-2018 at 09:30 AM.