View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 05:05 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Please note before I waste your time: I have little experience with adding terrains, but massive experience with using other added game files, like .cin, .end, .bin, .wac, et cetera, ad nauseum. It's possible that terrains are special problems, and everything I tell you here is probably empty conjecture. Anyway...

"!polytrn color map not specified" is the message you get when the game can't find the terrain.

If the terrain loaded into the MEd, then the MEd has the right target line tags, and the terrain is accessible, so you should confirm the target line tags for the game are correct.

If you did not actually create the custom mission then we're back to square one, so for testing purposes:

• Confirm that the terrain files are all in the same folder as the game .exe.

After looking in my own resource.pff, I can see that each terrain needs a .trn, a .cpt, a .tga, and one or more .pcx files, but not all .trn files have matching .cpt, .tga, or .pcx files. Just for kicks, I opened notepad.exe and drag/dropped a few .trn files into it. .trn files are readable this way, and I see a list of required files right there.

Uh-oh. dvd2.trn also calls for a .raw file. This is getting complicated. FUN!

• Confirm that you've added the /d to the target line of the shortcut you're starting the game with.

This'll help:

https://novahq.net/forum/showthread....098#post393098

What I didn't explain in that post is that you can also:
• Press Windows key+R to open the Run dialog.
• Click on "Search" and navigate to your game .exe, then click "Open" (I guess, my system is in german), which will bring you back to the Run dialog with the .exe path in the "Run" line.
• Click on the .exe path in the "Run" dialog, press the "End" key to move the cursor to the end, and AFTER the closing quote (or the last character if there is no closing quote), add a space, a /, then a d.
• Click "OK" to run the game with the /d tag.

And at some point in time after trying this, do consider coming back here and telling us how mangled my instructions are.