Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 05:22 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

cz_G36_reticle.jpg:
So just about out of nowhere, I had the idea to work up a G36 reticle for CS:CZ. As far as I can tell, it's correctly scaled for the max magnification on the Scout, the G3SG-1, and the SG-550 (insofar as the inner circumference of the ring is 4.375 mrads, or 1.75m at 400m, and the 200m stadium on the rangefinder is confirmed). I used values from an ACOG blueprint to place the 600m and 800m crosses, and I set the thick parts of the horizon 40 mrads apart even though I think they should be 50 mrads, but 40 looks a bit better within the 256 pixel limit.

I may redraw the reticle later, but I have this for now.

cz_G36i_reticle.jpg:
Okay, I'm not saying there aren't any blueprints of the G36 reticle to be found, I'm saying in all the years I've been modding games, I've never found any. I cannot be 100% certain I got the dimensions right, but 'close enough' is really close, in this case, especially with this resolution.

Find any of the 'through-optic' images of the G36 reticle, compare them to the attached screenshot by any method you care to use, I feel there'll be little to complain about. A few lines might be a pixel short or long, the rangefinger chart might be a bit squished to the right, but it's the best I could do.

No, there was never an illuminated version of this reticle ever made, far as I know. I've come to understand that not being able to engage mid- to long-range targets in low-light environments is one of the important reasons the Bundeswehr wanted funding for upgrades to this system, but I'm limited by nothing but my imagination, my skill, and my patience.

So I have a red ring version, the phosphorous green version, and a plain black version, for now.

cz_hr05_Scout_red.jpg:
At some point, I noticed that with the NVGs turned on, blood spatter is still red. The fact convinced me that immersion is not really possible beyond a certain extent in this game, and I can stop worrying about red reticles in green NVGs. A modder necessarily exerts extra effort on a moddable point than the dev, but time and effort aren't limitless, and you have to choose your battles.

A lot of my CS:CZ reticles are red, now. The Scout reticle I made is frankly brilliant, in my eyes.

According to my research results, the bold lines are about an MOA thick, the fine lines are about a third of an MOA thick, and the cross is about 6 MOA wide. I drew it close to that, then added the illumination, bright is 5 mrads wide, dim is 15 mrads, 'cause in Novalogic games, those are good leads for walking and running targets.

cz_hr06_Kashtan.jpg:
I'm leaving my Kashtan green. Attached are other 1P78 related images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz_G36_reticle.jpg (78.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg cz_G36i_reticle.jpg (51.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg cz_G36_black.jpg (42.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg cz_hr05_Scout_red.jpg (48.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg cz_hr06_Kashtan.jpg (70.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png 1P78_Range01.PNG (10.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1P78_Range01.jpg (23.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 07-05-2023 at 04:37 PM.