View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Hawke is offline Hawke
exigent~xyz

Clipping & Host Playability

Hi
I have a technical question aboutDF2 hosting and did not find an answer in search or FAQ.

I have not hosted or played DF2 since2003 and am in the process of re-familiarizing myself with using the med; editing some old maps I recently found zipped on a CD that I burned as aback-up in 2002.

The question is about clipping:

I'm re-working a couple of these old maps; converting them to a sniperDM by added more cover, primarily trees in one and a structures in another.

I had gotten a lot further along than I expected; using the numbers and density of things, without significantclipping/ other unwanted.

Then it occurred to me that inthe last 15 years, while I’ve kept my hardware upgraded to stay current with new games, maybe that is apples and orange.

The question is: if I host a map that is demanding but viewable when tested on my system, can I reasonablyassume that it will be a playable map when hosted; or a spotty to unplayable map due to too many items for the diverse net speeds and player systems?

Would using something like the DF2 Easy Updater and Vista Fix and upgrade the resolution help or am I just overreaching.

Trying to play catch up and way behind the curve here on df2 since 2002.