View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 05:36 PM
mg is offline mg

Tested DFBHDTS: the problem is present there as well, and is even more apparent regardless of the resolution.

With BHD I can hook RTSS and Afterburner (probably the first D3D version supported by RTSS). I can say with certainty that the problem is exacerbated at lower framerates: I found a scene/map where flicking right was ~OK (pitch got wild at times but rotation angle seemed similar to a slow turn), then capped to 10 FPS, and the same flick at the same place did about a third or a quarter of the expected angle.

The difference with the direction of the rotation is still there as well (in that same place, the problem would occur when flicking left even at the normal framerate).

Interestingly I do not see any framerate drop even when the problem occurs at the normal framerate (64 FPS). It could still be a couple of frames missing having a significant enough impact that I'm not observing with a live counter. I might try to record more precise data later. Meanwhile I'm looking into uncapping the framerate, but I have no idea if that would break the game even if I manage to do it.

I was sort of hoping to get into a few BHD competitive games for old times' sake, but after being "spoiled" by engines that do not have this problem I now feel it is unplayable (for competitive games).

I find it odd that I'm seemingly the only one that's bothered by this even though I've observed it on most versions of the engine, and on two different rigs. Of course most community sites have disappeared and were never archived so complaints about this may have been voiced before. If I were to guess, the problem has always been there, but maybe most people use very high sensitivity settings. I know I did back when I didn't know better (turning faster means better reflexes, right? ), and it's the only thing I can think of that changed for me besides now having access to better hardware. In fact, given the DF series was pretty much my introduction to online gaming, it's possible I veered toward higher sensitivity because of it (I would've felt more consistent with that type of setting because I was) before I finally decreased it to a more reasonable level (for my personal precision skills) while playing other games many years later.

By chance I found this video of a good BHD player who happens to show both his mouse and mousescale setting (38). He uses what looks like a claw grip style and the eDPI is so high that he only uses his wrist. I simply can't do that: I need way more margin to be accurate.

If anyone would care to share their sensitivity setting (with resolution, FOV if changed, and mouse DPI), then perhaps test flicks at the lowest setting to try and reproduce the issue, that would be appreciated. It won't solve it of course, but it might help with my sanity! (i.e. it could be that the DF community as a whole always defaulted to a specific play style.)