View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 11:44 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I vaguely remember some experimenting I did in DFBHDTS. The mousescale slider in that game lets you set it between 4 (for sure) and 508 (maybe?). Of course, 0 means no mouse movement at all, and maxing it to 511 means a 1080° spin in 1mm or something about that ridiculous.

A tweak I made in my mods is for the arrows left and right of the mouse slider. Original game, they increase or decrease by 10, I changed that to 4. Before that tweak, if I wanted my 'mousescale 20' preference, I had to settle for 14 or 24, fidget with the slider, or edit the dfvplr.sav. Now I can just drag the slider all the way down, then click the up button four times. Perfect. Well, for me, at least.

I don't have any experience with DF2 or DFTFD, and limited DFLW demo time, but as I found out in my C4 work, the player .sav files hold settings for five different players, and I found five different mousescale hexes. Same for DFBHDTS.

And being fairly certain I confirmed that mousescale 511 upper limit, I have to assume the mousescale can take up 2 bytes, and from other things I've tweaked in the .sav files, once 255 (FF) is overstepped, the byte to the left of that starts to increase, and original byte increases by single steps. I think? That new bytes to the left get increased, that's for sure, though.

Please keep in mind, I don't actually know what I'm doing a lot of the time, I just have very strong suspicions and obscenely free time and patience to test ideas. My wife hates it.