View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 12:33 PM
mg is offline mg

Quote:
In the MEd, there are no sub-meter negative coordinates. If you place an item at X=-1.25 Y=0, what the MEd actually needs to place that item is an X of [-2][49152], instead of [-1][-16384]. Effectively, the MEd considers the item to be 2 meters west, then 0.75m east, not just 1.25m west.
Damn, OK. I believe I follow the logic and its implications, however I'm not 100% clear on your notation/numbers for "X of [-2][49152] instead of [-1][-16384]" and how they relate to the desired X/Y inputs.

I'm assuming that the fractional part of the input value is represented as a 16-bit unsigned integer internally, and that you in turn represent it here in decimal. 16384 is about a quarter of the max value for such a representation and 49152 is about three quarters of that, so it would track. Is that correct?

Quote:
I don't know how the game interprets mouse axis input, but for obvious reasons, I suspect it's in degrees, and if flicks to the left are polled as full degrees left, then sub-degrees right, you might just get this effect.
I like the idea, especially given the left-right difference appears consistent for a direction depending on the scene. That's even though one might have expected, assuming only my naive hypothesis, that flicking left or right would be slower or faster depending on which side of the viewport the scene is most expensive to render (which is not the case).

Quote:
I suspect higher polling rates may actually exacerbate the problem,
I've tried all settings of my mouse (FK1+): 1Mhz, 500hz and 125hz. In a scene where the problem is excessively apparent (first camp in first mission of DFTFD), I could not discern any difference however. It still doesn't mean your intuition is wrong, I might need to try to get an even lower polling rate to observe a change.

Quote:
Personally, I've never actually noticed anything like this, but it also took me years of thinking, Why are the Team Sabre missions so weird? before I saw a post about how TS vehicles are silent. I shut off the music, and sure enough, that Pavelow taking us to Paolo's island had no engine noise. Didn't explain everything, but it explained a lot.
Haha, I understand what you mean. With this type of thing, and especially without a readily available solution, it's probably best not to know!

(Still, if you or anyone else ever tests a few flicks in some Nova games, please drop a note on whether you observed a difference or not!)

Either way, thanks for taking a look and for those thoughts!

Quote:
One of the main points I address in my mods is fixing those missing engine sounds, and frankly, the Pavelow has a really relaxing thumpy-whir to it, and it makes me sleepy
Nice! Can I hope you might publish this fix here at some point? I'll likely be playing through TS again in a little while, I'd be happy to provide some testing (or just enjoy it! ).