View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 AM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
I have to say fancy - create your own - quick editors offer no interest to me.
I love map making, it's how I got into online gaming in the first place. Some tonk called StevieB gave me 101 tips and then said I should pop into a server.
Bastard.
However when everything is as generic as painting with a brush then it's tough, despite the overwheling power of the editor, to create something unique that actually says to people who play - damn this is one of them Zza1pqx© maps - I love (or hate) them!

The joy of Novas editors was that whilst people could bang out maps quick and easy - you could tell a good quality mapper from a mile away and the community, including a lot of mappers who patronise this site, were producing maps that were distincitve to them and in many cases they were superior to the professional levels that Novalogic themselves were producing.

When I first played Halo3 I did a bit of mapping but was left feeling empty by the experience. Even though the end result always looked good and the interface was console friendly there has always been something lacking in the console modding experience.

Watching the video promo of this editor I have to say I was impressed but dubious.
Terrain editing is great. But can I build a hill exactly as I want it? And if I can make a unique hill and if I can spend a lot of time getting it just right so that vantage points give good protection but only once you finally made it in the race to get up there, will the end user really be able to tell the difference between a thoughtfully engineered terrain and something painted by an admittedly very powerful tool?

I have my doubts and it worries me that a talent can spend hours getting something right just for some nobody to get kudos because his stick work got lucky.

Then I saw the eiffel tower mock up and I got a small stiffy.

If they can get a good off-game prescence for mappers and give them the ability to present maps on a site like this then console perfection will be almost attained for me.
If you can upload a map from your 360 and then find out your wealthy snobby PC gaming friends are using it then there will be zero reason for me to ever want to return to PCs for games again.
This editor has sold a game to me that I might not have bothered with otherwise.
Genius.
Good link Chrispy cheers.