View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Eagle_Eye is offline Eagle_Eye
Old Timer...

Seems the host had a hard drive failure during the backup. Even the backup is lost.

The last backup I have here is 10 months old, and, I don't know if that's a copy of the one that Bullet fixed the forum on.

So, basicly, if DFB gets back up, 10 months will be lost..

OK, you say why do I only have an old backup??

Well, long story as a short version..

A few years ago, A.Bullett had some personal problems and vanished for over a year. I was left holding the bag..

As problems arose, I had to do some creative thinking to solve them.

The site was hacked, I asked a hacker how the undo what was done, then Bullet turned up, and repaired the code the hacker was using..

I talked the host into getting me CP access, I now had total control of the site, but, I'm just a gamer/mapper/modder, not a coder.

I took a backup of the site. then, the host changed to a new version of php. For a few months, the site worked OK, but, the forum was down. I asked the guys who wrote the original forum code to help, since I knew them anyway, but, they didn't want to rewrite the forum code for me.

I finally found a gmail for Bullet, who went through the forum code, and made most of it work again...

I host most of the major dpwnloads at my own sites, because the DFB site has limited space and bandwidth, but, really, DFB has been hanging on by the skin of it's teeth for 3 years now.

Bullet is still AWOL, Major Headache still owns the domain, he's the one who had arranged free hosting at freaks network a few years ago.

I've been having a break, playing other stuff, and only said to Iceman the other day that I should take a new backup of DFB, well, too late..

I still have dfreload, and that's where I've been putting most of my effort, since I knew sooner or later, DFB would fall. That's a pity, cos DFB has the best custom map database code ever written..

DFReload uses all free code, so it's easy to maintain..

EE
DFB Admin

Last edited by Eagle_Eye; 01-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.