Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2023, 12:29 PM
mg is offline mg

Damn that sucks, man!

This tripped me up so much too. I had never seen CS1.6 crash like this before, and had no idea the developers themselves had a little fun inverting the icon in the task bar for the dialog window displaying the error message--because it happened after installing a suspicious anti-cheat program for a community I barely trust, I thought I was up for re-installing everything (including the OS). As everybody else discovered, it was indeed OK, just Valve doing Valve things.

FYI: You mention a "legacy beta" version but just in case someone else somehow sees this info here for the first time, there are now two distinct beta variants, one called simply "beta" and one called "steam_legacy". My read is Valve first pushed the reverted patch in their beta channel, then introduced the exact same update under the name "steam_legacy" to "clarify" it wasn't a newer version but the pre-anniversary one, though leaving the "beta" channel up to avoid breaking the installation of many people a second time.

A tip: while I always consider game installation directories to be "owned" by the developers (in terms of being able to do whatever they want to them as part of upgrade and migration processes, including removing custom files/reverting patches), I almost always set them under revision control nowadays (I use git); especially when I inevitably start modding. It allows me to see precisely what changes across updates (of the base game and the mods), revert arbitrary changes, "bisect" semi-automatically to figure out which mod (or, as in this case, which base update!) might be causing a problem, and obviously track my own work and experiment. In your case it may also help easily clone/synchronize your work outside of the game installation directory (on the same system and/or others), thus making sure you never lose it again.

It may take a bit of getting used to, but ever since I started doing that, I can't go back; I can't count how many times something changed which I didn't expect and would have never known about without it, or how many times I made a mistake myself (e.g. the classic: forgot to revert a temporary experiment) but which the system caught immediately. I recommend the practice for all modders!