View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003, 11:30 AM
mrpow is offline mrpow

Send a message via Yahoo to mrpow
Give NW a braek!

I know it seems that Novaworld can be a bit arrogant at times I've had a few run-ins with them myself. For example, 2 years ago we had a LAN party in Oklahoma. When we got to Oklahoma we set out our LAN system with 12 computers and a router and a connection to the outside world. We could not get the router to work. Spent hundreds of dollars replacing land cards and a hub and lost 2 1/2 days of our seven-day LAN party trying to get the system running. Only to find out, three days before hand novaworld came up with an update that mistakenly disabled the lan play. I called novaworld and spoke to engineer/manager tight person and told that I just to spend $1000 on plane tickets and rental car to go to my squads LAN party. We got there and couldn't play. His attitude was that he couldn't care less and if I wanted to return the game he would give me a full refund. He also warned me that if I did return the game. That he would block my i.p. to novaworld server system in such a way that I could never play any novaworld games again online. What are you to do so I just drop the whole issue, and continued playing.

In a way I can't blame them. After all was an honest mistake and when you take into consideration that they are a for profit business, and have a responsibility to their shareholders, it's plain and simple that they have to make money. Lord knows how much better off they would be if nobody bootlegged their software. Lord knows how rich Billy Gates would be if nobody bootlegged his software. And I'm sure if somebody was stealing a large portion of everything you had in your store or or a large portion of the money you earned, you would have an attitude about it too.

As for the hacking or hackability of their software programs. I have been told by several software engineers that "no software is hacker or virus proof". Software security is an ongoing battle. And being that you can't stop hackers, the only thing the engineers can do is slow them down and try to stay one step ahead of them. So give novaworld break on this issue. Because it is an issue that all software companies deal with.

MR.POW, Out