Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 04:44 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post
Those sights are beautiful. Are you using the "slide" option for the sight tga's to get them to change with elevation? I did something similar to that with the M16/M4 irons. Above 200M elevation the rear sight will flip to the smaller peep hole.
---------------------------------------------------------------
They fold for easier storage. Takes up less game memory. They're supposed to unfold when you look at them, but I guess these fell asleep.
I love the slide trick.

Sleeping sniper corpses: Okay. Weeping angel statues: BIG NOPE!

How about this:

I think I figured out how to insert attached images.

And what an image it is! A few posts ago, I showed something similar I did with the AK/GP. While playing around with the one G3 in the SFOD mod, I noticed that the other G3 (from Team Sabre) has a front post as well as a decently modeled drum.

Had to exploit that, now, didn't I?

The top left corner of the image shows the pos for auto, the bottom left shows the tpos for auto at 1x mag. Top right corner is the janky 'high ready' pos for semi with RenderFOV at 40, bottom right is the tpos for semi at 2x mag. and RenderFOV 40.

I have the elevation locked at 300m (scope_max_zero 2 150 300 2), and meticulously edited the pitch in the tpos to match the impact point. This is made easy thusly:

Note: Assuming you've locked in the tpos with the view model not breaking the camera plane while firing or moving, aligning the sights, and centering the windage.

• Edit the ammo.def entry for the weapon. 0 recoil prone, add NoGravity flag.
• Edit the weapon.def entry for the weapon. 0 error prone, comment out the scope_max_zero, comment out the idle and fire animations.
• Add or edit the scope_max_mag and scope_min_mag to 20 (twenty).
• Add RenderFOV 4 (four).
• Find a map with a target at the desired zero range and a solid, repeatable firing position. Make this map if necessary.

I call this level of preparation 'Laboratory Conditions.' I may not have recalled every step. Experiences will vary.

Using the the extreme 20x zoom and RenderFOV 4 (that's the 80° default field of view divided by 20, or 4°. Not coincidently the same as the RenderFOV) on the target and the sights, with no recoil, no error, no gravity, and nothing animated, you'll have absolutely no trouble confirming your tpos alignments and boresight.

After that, comment out the NoGravity flag in the ammo.def entry so the bullet drops again, and set the scope_max_zero to the range you want to lock the weapon to. As seen above, I allowed 2 adjustments of 150m, defaulting to 300m, and disallowing the first two adjustment levels (Auto and 150m).

You cannot effectively use adjustable zeroes with viewmodel iron sights 'cause the game will change the pitch at which the rounds head downrange, but not the pitch of the viewmodel. The view model iron sights' point of aim will be locked and will not adjust to point of impact. Sorry.

Back on the range, aim at your zeroing target, then press F2 to hide the weapon model. Firing the weapon, adjust your mouse up 'til you see the impacts where you want them, then press F3 to unhide the weapon model and see how far off your sights are. Adjust the tpos pitch 'til POA and POI align.

Now you can revert all the lab conditions and enjoy your accurized view model irons. I know I do.

Cool thing about this is that, if you decide to get rid of the locked scope_max_zero, the irons are still zeroed at the range you wanted.

End of lecture. Know that I proofread this as best I could, but I started this reply with no plan or outline, under threat of consequences should my wife return from shopping and the kitchen is still not addressed. The duress is palpable, and I'd appreciate your understanding of mistakes or omissions.

I also edited the g3.dds to blacken the front post and add a little green dot, and relabeled position 1 on the drum correctly. How I found those particular pixels out of the 262,144 available is a lecture for another time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_G3_model_irons.jpg (671.2 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 01-27-2024 at 11:28 AM.