View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 03:48 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I'm not sure what's going on here.

All sources I have access to make it clear that a 5m fence 250m away reads 20 mrads wide. The treads on the T-90 from front to back are a bit more than 5m, and the screenshot is in accordance with that.

Now, using the same methods and sources, my calculations state that a human that's 1.7m tall is 8.5 mrads, vertically. I drew the range finder on this PSO-1 accordingly.

So what's going on in that last screenshot? That guy is verifiably 200m away from me in this screenshot. I drew the range finder assuming the 1.7m (5' 7") person's feet touch the the top of the underline and the top of the head just touches the bottom of the highest pixel in the curve, and assuming soldiers in this game are actually more like 1.8m (5' 11") tall, the bottom of his boots should be flush with the bottom edge of the underline, the top of his head should be aligned on the top edge of the uppermost pixel in the curve, under the 200m mark, a total of 9 mrads, or 44px on this screenshot. He's actually 32px tall. That translates to about 1.33m. 4' 4".

I'm so confused.

Edit: I redrew the curve to fit the man. It's a fudging, but a necessary one.

Well, none of this was necessary, I'm not leaving a 7x zoom on the AK74u, but the excercise in WTFery was eye-opening, if not enlightening.

Edit again: Illuminated Hensoldt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5m fence.jpg (527.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 5m tread.jpg (514.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 200m to soldier.jpg (534.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg I guess then.jpg (515.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Illuminated_Hensoldt.jpg (500.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 06-14-2022 at 01:26 PM.