Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 01:09 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

That's what I liked so much about DFBHDTS's 1.25x mag. sighted zoom. It wasn't so much actual zoom as intense concentration. And NL's later games don't have it.

2x mag. on iron sights and 1x optics seems stupid on paper, but if you don't play at a high resolution or have pixel perfect vision, the iron sight .tgas lose all detail.

Actual Kalashnikov iron sights are bad. Chunk of steel with a surprisingly small square notch to line up on a tiny post that's not particularly difficult to confuse with the shroud around it. There's a reason AK's aren't famous for accuracy. The sights are 67% to 80% of that reason.

I don't know, I spent all of three minutes with a decommissioned AK thirty years ago, and I don't remember aiming it at all, so I'm basing the opinion above on pictures, videos, games, and internetting.

That's why weapons in games are gamified. Actual war is horror. Actual combat is terrifying. I've been in and lost enough fist fights to know that personally. I've also won enough to know how thrilling combat is. Watching the energy evaporate from an asshole after you've broken his nose is such a rush, and it's not until later, after the adrenaline has boiled away, and you've confirmed that the blood on your jacket is not yours, that's when the shaking starts... remembering that last punch you really wanted to throw could've been the one that...

Realism in games is overrated. Lowest-bidder equipment is pure anxiety if you're smart, and if you don't think much about it, at the worst possible moment, a fatal surprise.

I might have issues.

So overly realistic games are not really fun. Are there games where you have to align your irons manually? I don't know of any. Are there games where your weapons can have stoppages? Not from NovaLogic. Does anybody ever complain that reloading means discarding unfired rounds instead of just topping off the magazine? Not since DF1, I think.

Consider the two screenshots I'm attaching. Consider the unadjusted elevation on the view model. The badly modeled gas block front post that's too short to be seen over the receiver cover, so you can't see the front post. The deactivated idle animation that makes first shots impossible to aim.

Consider the balance of challenge and fun. Too far in either direction will diminish the experience.

But a modder does what they can, y'know?

Edit: Oh my godless! RenderFOV! It's amazing! Thanks, Oscarmike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_AK47_Iron.jpg (337.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_AK47_ADS.jpg (443.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 07-31-2022 at 03:46 AM.