Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 02:04 PM
Baldo_the_Don is online now Baldo_the_Don

My best guess, and I have done next to no testing on this, is that drag 1 means perfect aerodynamacy. The velocity remains constant the entire time the round is flying.

In DFBHDTS, changes in drag are extremely sensitive! From my notes:

04:05 26.07.2021
----------------
Drag test: M21
velocity leveled to 1000 m/s.
All errors and recoil set to 0.
Crosshair pips are 1 mil (1/6400th of a circle) at mag. 22x.

drag: 1
2000m target, 2000m zero, mag. 22x: centered zero confirmed.

drag: 0.9987
2000m target, 2000m zero, mag. 22x: hit 1 mil below center confirmed.

That might actually not be that sensitive, if I think about it...

Drag in the JO version of the SFOD mod is not nearly that touchy, but I've done little testing on it.

And I have no real understanding of what actual drag coefficients mean or how they're calculated, but I doubt it works like "1 is a pure frictionless vacuum, 0 means the space between every air molecule is an impenetrable titanium wall." It might be the other way around.

I think at one point for the one ammo entry or the other, I took an actual drag coefficient, subtracted it from 1, and used the difference as the drag value with excellent results, but I have no notes on that.

So 'drag' in NeverLogic games actually means 'aerodynamacy,' but I guess drag is easier to spell. Drag lower than 1 reduces the velocity over time, but by how much and over how much time is unclear, and now I want to experiment, but I don't want to experiment, you know?

* sigh *

There is a level of "Eh. Close enough." to be considered here, I believe.

Also, I did experiment with drag higher than 1, but I didn't see anything, like, an RPG picking up speed as it flew, you know? The one ammo did have less drop, but I don't know how, and I'll try to figure that out in the future.

Did you ever see my binocular .tgas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_Binos.jpg (374.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 07-25-2022 at 02:14 PM.