View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

You need to check that your MoBo chipset can handle windows 7

ICH6 and upwards I think and other chipsets hit and miss.

The standard Windows 7 SATA driver apparently does not handle the ICH6 Southbridge properly on some Intel boards and some AMD boards have issues also
and as far as I know you need at least ICH6 (but don't quote me on that) all I am saying is check things there.

I've run Vista/XP and Windows 7 beta ok (that was iICH5 I recon) but had to drop it when I went to Win7 to many issues, especially x64/x86 collisions. xp still lives in the old hard drive in the cupboard

Here's a clip

Quote:
I'm trying to install 7RC on a Dell Gen 2 3.2GHz P4 running XP Pro. The reported chipset is Intel 875P. Installation gets me as far as a screen that shows my 2 HD's and their partitions. I get 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver device [Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller]. Click 'Load Driver' and load the required device driver'. Well, first of all I think that I'd like to make drive 0 one partition - I'm not sure why there is a 39MB (38MB free) Fat32 OEM reserved partion as partion 1. The other partition is Drive 0 Partition 2 C: 111.7GB 52.4GB Free System. After that, it says I need to load a driver. The Win 7 Upgrade Advisor says the I have an Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller, and that it's compatible, but if that is true I would think that the install could proceed. I've no idea what the difference may or may not be between the ER and EB, but I can't get past this point. I searched the web looking for a 82801ER SATA RAID Controller driver to no avail. I'm not sure how I'd try to load it during the installation if I did have it unless I can swap out the install iso dvd with a driver cd and then put the install dvd back in the drive. By the way, I'm not trying to do a RAID array, I just have two drives.

Last edited by Guest001; 09-25-2012 at 02:23 AM.