Thread: [BHD:TS] Teammate AI issue
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 07:24 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

NovaLogic's F-16 Fighting Falcon is literally the first video game I ever got obssessed with. We bought a Windows 98 upgrade for our Compaq Armada 1700 laptop (my first computer) mainly to gain USB support for a joystick.

External fuel tanks, thirty or forty thousand feet (I misremember), hundred-five percent thrust (103%?), and my heathen gods, that plane moved. I miss that game so much, don't get me started...

The CD came with the DF1 demo on it. Then I got the BHD demo. Hooked like a fish.

Now, I mod DFBHD. I made the hammer on the .45 shiny by editing the bump map last weekend. See if this link works: https://novahq.net/forum/showpost.ph...72&postcount=7

And I dump so much energy into the stupidest little tweaks in these mods, try to imagine the missions I could produce if the frigging AI worked! I made a map once with six four-man teams on each side, all kinds of rerouting and redeploying tricks, I had one AI that would, under circumstances, redirect to a building, climb the ladder, move to a corner facing the player team's spawn, and trigger a teleport target marker to start lobbing M203 rounds if anyone in group 1 was in a specific area trigger. "Sounds like a lot of work for nothing, Baldo," you think, and you're not wrong! But you would've also been flabbergasted if you were playing this mission and found a nifty little corner to cover enemy routes from, and you get naded to death, for the first time ever, by an enemy AI.

I had gotten well over two hundred events set up in that map, and without fail, fifteen, twenty minutes into playing, the game would start glitching out. The HUD would disappear and I think sounds would play weird, stuff like that.

But I learned during that map's construction that the "Reset has visited flags" actions only work for waypoint lists 1 to 31. I spent days of map editing time trying to figure out why the Little Bird I had landing after reaching waypoint 41-2 would not take off again.

I learned a lot of things about stuff that works fine in SP and Host and Play coop that do not work in MP: .wac driven day-night cycles, weather effects, fake artillery strikes, you know?

That map was intended to by played by only one player in a host and play LAN session, inspired by all the fun I had fighting bots in BF2 and CS:CZ. It might've been neat.