Thread: [BHD:TS] Teammate AI issue
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 03:08 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

A century or so ago, I used to enjoy me some Mechwarrior IV: Mercenaries. Mercs came with a mission editor that was a bit too complicated for my taste, at the time. What tripped me up was the terrain editing, which was possible on the fly with the editor. But one thing that stood out to me, the pertinent reason for this reply, was that the Mercs mission editor had a tool called the node creator. I remember the manual explaining that once your misson is complete, everything in place and ready for events, you start the node creator and let it run. It analyzed the mission, the terrain, the inserted items, and basically lay a network connected lines, unobstructed by buildings, trees, oversteep slopes, or anything that'd block an AIs movement, and this lattice of what I'll call sub-waypoints are what the AIs would use to navigate their way along their main waypoints to your face and fill it missiles, lasers, and autocannon fire.

I don't remember ever building an entire mission, but I loved messing around with a thing or two.

And I remember the node creator. It was the most time-consuming part of making a mission in Mercs. I imagine NeverLogic's .ain creator was just as slow, so they figured no player would even bother with it. I think Battlefield 2's mission editor was like this, too.

I wish I knew something about programming. I struggle with HTML, and I don't think HTML is even a thing anymore.

I'm not well enough aquainted with NL's games beyond DFBHD(TS), but I'm wondering now... The AIs can get around in those games, right? How do those mission editors deal with AI navigation?

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 06-20-2021 at 01:54 PM.