Thread: [BHD:TS] Teammate AI issue
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:47 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

And there you go, Snipes: The Ultimate Riddle of the DFBHD(TS) SP mapper... If you can't make teammates follow you, then why bother?

Yeah. I don't know, man. I don't know.

No, okay, pulling back on the stick, leveling off, making an effort...

AIs do need serious amounts of kiting and babysitting, and we all wish custom .ain files were a thing, but they aren't so you have to get creative, clever, and find overblown, Rube-Goldbergian, sisyphean, over-designed work-arounds to get something so seemingly simple as getting someone to follow you done.

Suggestions:
• Just one teammate in group 1, waypoint 126 (Go to Group). They take orders this way.
• Set up area triggers and events to redirect teammates to predetermined positions thoughout the map.
• Teleports?
• Make maps in a different game that isn't mostly ****?

I edited a map once (Troubled Paradise 1.3 by Leon AKA Eater) where two dozen teammates Little Bird in after you clear a few obstacles. I had the idea of changing two guys to group 1, WP 126, and redirected the rest of them to follow one of those two teammates. Makes things slightly more manageable, 'til one of these guys gets killed and you have to add trees of branching triggers and actions reassigning teammate after teammate as what I'll call fireteam leaders.

Hardly seems the effort.

And I've seen so many maps including .ifl and .log files, I can only conclude many mappers haven't reached a level of expertise high enough to know which files do what, so they just include everything that seems like it might be important. They don't know what an .ain file does, but maybe it'll help?

Or they actually edited an extracted and bms2missed stock mission. As long as they didn't move any items from where the .ain file tells the AIs those items are, or add any new items that they can't edit the .ain file to include, it might work.

Contentious statement: I doubt that "Autonomous Behavior" does anything in DFBHD(TS). I'm not convinced the "Advanced Ammo" check box does anything, either. My limited testing has never been conclusive.

As for the eager teammates, well, I think certain behaviors are hard-coded into some AIs assigned to group 1, WP 126, and they double-time it all the time 'cause the programmers knew the only thing worse than over eager teammates is a teammate that walks too slowly. Go ahead and force a player wait on an AI to catch up, see how quickly friendly-fire gets tested.

The limitations of the MED separate the wheat from the chaff. Come up with workarounds and amaze players even if they're barely functional. Fool around with it. Fail, and fail quickly, 'cause the sooner you learn what doesn't work, the sooner you learn what does.

And keep ever in mind: some things just can't be done in DFBHD(TS).

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 06-15-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Typos give me the sweats. They shouldn't, but they do.