Thread: Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
It's funny to read how NovaLogic games spawned careers for other people too. I doubt I would have become a programmer if not for the countless hours I spent making tools and mods for the DF games.
So this is kind of funny, but I actually considered going into game design because of all of the modding I did. I ultimately decided against it after reading about the sweatshop hours and constant turnover. I wrote a post over here to stompem talking about making a game from scratch in the spirit of Delta Force. I didn't realize we had so many modders here! Maybe there is hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by --BulletMagnet-- View Post
I've thought a few times about creating a central hub for the older Delta Force games that is solely devoted to instructions for getting the games running and playing online. Others have attempted to do the same and failed, so there's not a lot of motivation behind the idea. The influx in social media platforms may help this time around, but I'm just not sure.
That would be really cool. From what I've read, there are just too many pingers, and they all yield different lobby results (please correct me if I am not understanding). It would make sense to have a consolidated pinger, and I imagine it would increase the number of players across all games. For instance, instead of firing up a DF, DF2, and DFLW pinger, you just open one up when you are bored and notice there's a game going in DF and you join it. Right now, people probably aren't bothered to open up all three pingers. It could be really good for the DF community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakie View Post
It has crossed my mind to see if Garcia would be interested in selling the source code for DF2 or LW to release it open source, but suspect I couldn't afford what he would ask :/
Now that is an interesting proposition... if you could get him to respond to your email! Still no response on mine, probably because they have no games in development.

What would you do with the engine if you had it? It may be hard to get modern day gamers to jump onto it because of the dated graphics, so I'd be leery about investing any money into it.

I can't imagine they'd ever have a use for it again. It would make sense to try to profit off of it any way since it's so outdated, even if it just meant taking a percentage of your gross if you ever made any money with it.

I can't imagine I'd license their Commanche/BHD/JO engine... I didn't do any coding on it, but I heard they coded themselves into a corner on it to the point it would be impossible to add a sprint button.

I wonder, though, if a graphically overhauled BHD would sell? Almost no other changes made aside from graphics... would it do well? There is no shortage of ways to monetize it - you could let the community make all of the maps so people play the game for years, then you encourage modding and sell reskins, remodels, etc. that have purely aesthetic changes to gameplay. Or, you could occasionally release an "official" map pack with 4 maps in it for a low price, or just charge for an expansion pack. I was dumbfounded at Novalogic's utter failure in monetizing their games. I am not a fan of microtransactions nickel and diming me, but I'll gladly pay for new, good content.