View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
SilentTrigger is offline SilentTrigger
-1PARA-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
No really this is a good question Stomp.

Around here they're called snow tread. You can buy tires with steel reinforced studs.

The tires have steel spikes inbedded in the rubber that grip the snow. The tips are pointed to grip the snow and ice.

I never bought them because they're seasonal, and they're very loud on the open road.
Missunderstood stomps post and thought you ment to replace the rubber all togather.

Studs only work on Ice or hardly packed snow it's got no function at all for anything else. It's the tire itself that create the friction on snow.

In europe there's two groups, European winter tires and Scandinavian winter tires.

Nokian and Gislaved are the tires that take the top marking in tests every year for scandinavian winter tires, Nokian with studed and Gislaved with friction tires (once again not to confuse with "All season" they are not the same type of tire )

Nokian studed tires arn't that loud, there's been alot of development in the last 10 years, my Nokian Hakka 7 arn't much louder then friction tires even on asphalt, sure they do produce more noise but todays modern studed tires produce only around 20% of the noise that studed tires used to

All season tires here are very rare, the Swedish Transport Administration reccomend not using All season tires on our roads because of their poor performace on snow and ice in low temps. Studed tires are reccomended, Swedish studies show that studed tires would have saved about 50% of those that ware killed in accidents that ware caused by ice compared to friction tries.

My photography website